Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 4:01:19 AM EST
What brand and specifications does the military / gov. use for their ARs? What is the closest thing us civilians can own without getting special tax stamps.

1) M4
2) 20"

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:49:20 AM EST
From what I've read Bushmaster's AR's are the closest to the M16 available to civilians.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:53:55 AM EST
Colt
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:19:43 AM EST
Bushmaster. I know that Bushmaster is supplying weapons to the gov't. Colt may be as well, but they have a history of being very "politically correct". They were installing sear blocks, which were never required. Also, they used to used screws rather than the correct hinge pin on the front of the upper/lower receiver. They were sawing off bayo lugs before the '94 ban made it a requirement. The old SP-1's didn't have the correct raised "fense" around the mag release.
I've owned Colts and I now own Bushmasters. Both are quality rifles. I like authentic, too, and Bushmaster appeals to people like you & me more than Colt.
My local gun dealer swears by DPMS. The upper end DPMS he has looks pretty good and from what I saw they get the details right. You might want to look into their stuff if you need to save a buck. On the other end, Armalite is worth a look if you're will to pay "top dollar".
My brother is with the 101st Airborne and has been in & out of Iraq (a couple of shirt buttons popping off as I say that!). If the Bushy is good enough for "our guys" then it's good enough for me!

heavy.gif
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:46:13 AM EST
I thought the M4's the Spec-Ops guys get are SR15's from Knights?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:40:20 PM EST
Anymore input!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:55:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 6:01:08 PM EST by CJan_NH]

I know that Bushmaster is supplying weapons to the gov't.

Really? Please, tell us more

If the Bushy is good enough for "our guys" then it's good enough for me!

Have Bushys been deployed with the 101st?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 6:16:02 PM EST by RebelShooter]

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Really? Please, tell us more hr

I'll tell ya more. hink
Colt Challenges Rivals’ Illegal Marketing Practices

Connecticut-based Colt Strikes Back Against Copycat Manufacturers Bushmaster Firearms and Heckler & Koch

"Colt is the leading supplier of military and law enforcement weaponry and related products to the U.S. Government and many American allies. It holds a sole source contract to exclusively supply the M4 carbine to all branches of the U.S. military. Only Colt may manufacture an authentic M4 carbine; those made by others are imitations. "

"The complaint alleges that Bushmaster, which has no legal right or authority to sell to the U.S. military, has intentionally and illegally incorporated the look and feel of the Colt M4 into its "M4 type" carbine. By duplicating the appearance of a real M4 weapon, and employing calculated marketing that blurs the distinction between Colt’s products and their own, Bushmaster deceptively markets its "M4 type" carbine to the civilian market and foreign governments, hoping that consumers will confuse the goodwill associated with the Colt brand with Bushmaster, according to the complaint."

Granted, this a Colt press release about their law suit, but when the Pres/CEO of Colt is a retired USMC Lt. Gen, I'll give him the benefit of doubt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:11 PM EST
Not this crap again
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:45:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 6:45:57 PM EST by model927]
It was a one time run from Bushy 13 years ago.Im glad Bushy doesent use the M4 feedramps,Higher FSB and smaller diameter carbine stock,and double shielded hand guards.Those features alone should tell colt they are not being copied...if that were the case they would be suing every other AR maker.I guess colt never forgot being out bid on a contract so many years ago..weapons that at the time went to special forces and seals.They might as well sue LMY for the uppers they make that are used by SOCCOM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:53:53 PM EST

I guess colt never forgot being out bid on a contract so many years ago..

You are absolutely correct, they were both pissed and financially devastated. Fortunately for them, their angst actually helped them to win the M-16 contract back in 1998:

"1998 proves to be an eventful year for Colt. Especially noteworthy is the return to Colt of the U.S. Government contract for procurement of M-16 rifles in excess of 32,000 units. Complimenting this is a contract for updating 88,000 M-16A1 rifles to the A2 configuration for the U.S. Air Force."

Colt History

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:15:27 AM EST
what about the 20"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:09:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:48:24 AM EST
So if I have in my collection a Colt LE6920 I would have the closest thing out of the box to a M4 and my Armalite M15A2 20" HBAR would be close enough unless I wanted to swap barrels out with a gov't profile one on the 20". Is the military using the A2 or A3 on the 20"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:08:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 4:12:19 AM EST by dpmmn]

Originally Posted By clubster:
So if I have in my collection a Colt LE6920 I would have the closest thing out of the box to a M4

Yes, but also add in the MT6400, but the rollmark would still be different

and my Armalite M15A2 20" HBAR would be close enough unless I wanted to swap barrels out with a gov't profile one on the 20". Is the military using the A2 or A3 on the 20"?

The rollmark would still be different, and they use A2's and A3's
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:50:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By dbshabo:
From what I've read Bushmaster's AR's are the closest to the M16 available to civilians.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:20:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By clubster:
What brand and specifications does the military / gov. use for their ARs?
1) M4

US Army & USMC only use Colt M4s

DEA (and IIRC FBI) use Colt & RRA Carbines

DOE uses (or has used) Bushmaster Carbines

I've also been told Bushmasters have been used by certain 'non military Govt personnel' in the sandbox, and some of them were unhappy with them (no details on why).

2) 20"

Most are built by FN in North Carolina - mostly M16A2s, with a smattering of M16A3s and M16A4s.

Colt also supplys the military with M16A4s
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:21:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By markm:

Originally Posted By dbshabo:

Actually Mark if you go by the drawings he is right - especially for the 20" models.

Though if you want an M4 clone - Colts comes closests
Top Top