Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 7:44:43 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking and rescuing me

I just tore down the lower on my new Colt 6400c M4 carbine. While taking it apart I was very careful about noting what went where but I made one mistake. There is a detent on each end of the hammer and trigger pins, and I neglected to note which way they go into the receiver. Here is a pic of the pins:

Looking at the top of the receiver do the detents go on the left side (same side as bolt release) or the right side (same side as the mag release)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter from which side you put them in.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/#trigger[/url]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It shouldn't matter which side the grooves are on the pin.  The J-pin in the hammer will engage the center groove and the hammer spring will engage the side groove on either side.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
it's your rifle, but my advice is not to take out the trigger group any more. if you do this enough times, you're going to have problems with the pins "walking out".
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys. I won't take it apart again unless something breaks. I wanted to learn more about how it goes together. I also cleaned up the sear and hammer slightly in an effort to smooth out the trigger.

I'm just about finished putting it back together now [:)]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Fer cryin' out loud! I remove \ replace pins all the time. Some rifles have had their pins out a dozen or so times. The key is to use the right punches and replace the pins themselves every third time or so. Never, never,never, wallow the punch around trying to align the various pinholes. You'll be fine.

Fred
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
what happened to that other pin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top