Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2005 12:45:05 PM EDT
Hey team,
Just got back from a 4-day shooting course with my Colt AR15. Didn't clean it the whole time I was there. No problems, save for a few FTF using 63gr Swiss ammo. When I got back home and stripped it, the inside of the bolt had a LOT of crud buildup. Looked like an old exhaust valve from my 78 Bronco! I mean caked on and crispy. I cleaned the heck out of it but everytime I pick it up, my hands turn filty.  It's obviously not that clean yet. Can I soak the bolt and it's parts safely? What would you recommend to do so and for how long?

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Drive to GAT guns, pick up some slip 2000 shotgun choke tube cleaner, and soak your bolt in that stuff.  It will get rid of the carbon pretty quick- comes in a glass jar, or a big tin jug.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not possible, I have it on good authority from many former and current SEALs I have met at gunshows and surplus stores that the AR design is a jammomatic.  You must be lying to us.

I could tell they were real SEALS dut to their blubber layer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not possible, I have it on good authority from many former and current SEALs I have met at gunshows and surplus stores that the AR design is a jammomatic.  You must be lying to us.

I could tell they were real SEALS dut to their blubber layer.

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can soak, no problem. I have a large Mason jar full of RoyCo CLP that I use for soaking. Use a mechanic's magnet-on-an-antenna to pull the parts out of the jar. Then hit it with a brass wire brush, wipe it off, and lube with some clean CLP (or whatever lube you use) and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a a 20 gallon parts washer from harbor Freight Tools, filled with 5 gallons of low odor mineral spirits.  It works great for soaking the bolt and carrier groups and the buffer spring.  You can also use the motorized stream of solvent down the barrel.  Wear gloves and use in a well ventilated area!

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7340

They also have a small tabletop version which would probably be good:

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35740

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Adam,
I had to re-read your post about 1000 times and I still don't get it. Perhaps because I just arose from a nap. he
I can honestly state that it was 1000 rounds with no malfunctions. None. I can say the one guy there with a Steyr Aug P couldn't cycle thru a 30 rounder with a jam.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Adam,
I had to re-read your post about 1000 times and I still don't get it. Perhaps because I just arose from a nap.
Are you saying your spare-tire wearing friends believe the AR is only good for less than 1000 rounds between cleanings?

I can honestly state that it was 1000 rounds with no malfunctions. None. I can say the one guy there with a Steyr Aug P couldn't cycle thru a 30 rounder with a jam.

My post was pure sarcasm. I apologize.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
This is one of the many reasons I like my AR.   I'm usaly to lazy too clean my AR right after I get home from the range and some times it goes 3 or 4 trips before cleaning and never misses a beat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I also have fired a thousand rounds without cleaning in a day. It was a Bushmaster and we had absolutely no "jams".

Yeah... I've heard all the "so called" vet's repeat the same old tired shit about how they aren't reliable. Wonder where they read that??? $bob$
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what i do for my M4.  When I come back from a late night range, I soak the action with CLP, cycle it by hand to get everything coated.  Then just do a quick wipe down of all the steel parts.  Then I take it down to the armsroom,  and clean it the next day.  This works pretty damn good, since the CLP does most the work for me I just mainly wipe down the parts, and then clean the action and get in to all the nooks and crannys and clean the bore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is one of the many reasons I like my AR.   I'm usaly to lazy too clean my AR right after I get home from the range and some times it goes 3 or 4 trips before cleaning and never misses a beat.

What? I thought you had to dip it in boiling brake cleaner and run it through your dishwasher and spend 4 hours scraping it out  every time you shoot or it's just not reliable.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I use a a 20 gallon parts washer from harbor Freight Tools, filled with 5 gallons of low odor mineral spirits.  

Is that big enough to put a whole upper in? I see the dimensions are 28-1/2''W x 19-1/4''L x 10-5/16''H . It woudl sure be nice to pull the carrier assy, and drop the upper and carrier in there and let it soak.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top