Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 2:24:20 PM EDT
Been out of the .223 game for a while and just received my first 500 rounds of Lake City XM193. I picked out a bunch to stare at the unwashed case beauty and found a setback round. I do not remember if .223 is a high pressure round (I believe it is), so a possible dangerous situation.

As with any manufacturer, it is always good to visually inspect each round put into the magazine (or do it and then put the ammo back for later use) as a safety precaution. I normally do not, I just load up my .45acp magazines and go, but this is a good reminder and safety lesson.

Just take a minute, slow down, inspect what your loading, and you should have a fun and safe day.

(and *laf, with the title, according to the libs, all of these rounds are potentially girl-scout baby killers! =P )

Take care,

p3
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:29:49 PM EDT
I inspect mine while unpacking it from boxes to store loose in cans. Good find.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:39:03 PM EDT
223/5.56 is a high pressure round, a bullet that is set back in the case is a dangerous round, don't fool with it, dispose of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:41:25 PM EDT
I hate to sound like a fool but what is a "setback" round?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:53:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:

The bullet is seated too deeply or "set back" into the case. That leaves less space for the combustion causing that round tol exert higher pressure than a properly manufactured one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:51:18 PM EDT
I figure anything that I can stick next to another round and visually see the setback is too much, though this one is probably close to an eigth of an inch back. I could get the calipers out but it was enough that I noticed it just from a handful. I've looked through about 70 more rounds and no other baddies.

This was just a FYI make sure you keep your eyes open out there, we all know Lake City is top notch. =)
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:54:02 PM EDT
I went to the range on sunday to try out some LC 55gr PD ammo I unknowingly bought from the SG and found several bad rounds. I fired 70rds that day and had a couple of fail to fires also.

I never used to check the ammo but I do now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:10:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hanz:

Originally Posted By ZW17:

The bullet is seated too deeply or "set back" into the case. That leaves less space for the combustion causing that round tol exert higher pressure than a properly manufactured one.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:48:12 AM EDT
Was this the PD stuff or regular 20rnd boxes?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:23:17 AM EDT
I've had the same condition in boxed XM193. I've had rounds seated past the cannelure and with the cannelure way out of the case mouth as well. LC has damned spotty QC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:08:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
I've had the same condition in boxed XM193. I've had rounds seated past the cannelure and with the cannelure way out of the case mouth as well. LC has damned spotty QC.

I was lead to believe Lake City was the best military ammo to buy... is their spotty QC because of the 24/7 production of ammo (assumed) to meet military supply?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:56:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Resq47:
Was this the PD stuff or regular 20rnd boxes?

+1
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:24:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phoenix_III:

I was lead to believe Lake City was the best military ammo to buy... is their spotty QC because of the 24/7 production of ammo (assumed) to meet military supply?

I've had XM-193 set back before during failures to feed. The ammo's good but I don't think it's the end-all/be-all ammo out there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:30:41 AM EDT
The ammo I am using is loosely packed 500 round. The supplier did not say so, but most likely the rejects because of sealant or something not primary to me. I have another 500 (62grain, touted as 'mil-spec' so I assume not rejects) on its way too (Lake City again).

p3
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
XM193PD

No surprise there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:21:06 PM EDT
You should see some of the deformed casses I have found in the regular boxed XM193.

The bottom line is that you should inspect all of your ammo before shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:24:22 PM EDT
My XM193 mentioned is BOXED, not PD. At least 3 different lot numbers, 61, 52,19 IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:44:14 PM EDT

That's unfortunate. I've had nothing but success with mine (all 20rnd boxed XM), and I'm not sheepish about the occasional dented case. Setbacks are a different story, but again doing full speed manipulations it's always possible. I guess that's why I mandate ear/eye/hand protection.

OT - A couple weeks ago I had the misfortune to pop a primer on a squib in a bud's near NIB micro .40S&W (1911 pattern kimber). To add insult to the injury of having a gun that couldn't run a mag w/o failures it plugged the barrel on my first shot. These things happen...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 10:26:28 AM EDT by Phoenix_III]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
XM193PD

No surprise there.

You talking to me? What does the PD mean?

*edit* did my reading. PD means 500 loose in box, right? Supposedly could be grade3, so each round must be checked well. Still worth it... would check Grade 2 and almost all Grade 1 as well. =)
Top Top