Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/24/2014 7:14:01 PM EST
Just bought this Advanced Armament barrel. Couldn't pass on the deal, comes with a gas block also and pin for the gas block. Almost all the specs I was looking for in a barrel so I grabbed it! 128 bucks after shipping and NRA round up isn't bad at all!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-16-5-56-nitride-barrel-1-7-sku276000069-71313-150693.aspx
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:17:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By tjm1911:
Just bought this Advanced Armament barrel. Couldn't pass on the deal, comes with a gas block also and pin for the gas block. Almost all the specs I was looking for in a barrel so I grabbed it! 128 bucks after shipping and NRA round up isn't bad at all!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-16-5-56-nitride-barrel-1-7-sku276000069-71313-150693.aspx
View Quote

Made er clickable for ya
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:53:06 PM EST
O Thanks. It was clickable on my end, interesting. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:03:58 PM EST
I saw this earlier today. I couldn't make out nor find info if the the barrel already was setup for the pin or still had to be drilled.

Also I think there was a code for free shipping over $75.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:30:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/24/2014 9:32:10 PM EST by tjm1911]
From what I saw of it its already drilled for the pin. I hope so anyways! The pics show the barrel already drilled.

And man that sucks, I saw one for above 150 and free shipping lol. I paid seven bucks roughly.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:39:37 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
From what I saw of it its already drilled for the pin. I hope so anyways! The pics show the barrel already drilled.

And man that sucks, I saw one for above 150 and free shipping lol. I paid seven bucks roughly.
View Quote

Drilled? I'm new to building so a little slack would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By TanklessPro:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TanklessPro:

Drilled is when the barrel has a "slot" for a pin to go into. The pin holds the gas block in place so it can not shift around. check out the link and youll see the pictures it might clarify. If someone else wants to chime in with more expertise and technical know how, be my guest lol. I'm new also. Have just built one AR and switching out the barrel it, hence the new purchase.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:12:10 PM EST
I was going to make a new thread about this exact barrel.

Make a long story short: I ordered this barrel about the same time as the OP (11/25). Brownells is moving and delayed my order. I get the order yesterday (12/12).

Yesterday I start playing with my pile of upper parts.

First thing I notice about the Advanced Armament barrel is the inside of the barrel extension area is brownish red. I can't tell if the barrel extension was installed after the nitride finish. I clean out the funk, apply oil, and to me, it looks like the barrel and inner barrel extension are bare metal. The brownish red stuff is only rust, not grease. I figure with the price of the barrel, I'd try and clean out the rust and see what it looks like.

But wait, there's more. I wanted to mock up the upper, and went to loosely install the barrel, upper and PSA SPR hand guard. The barrel index pin is too long and sticks out too far so the barrel nut can't thread over it.

At this point I'm not sure I want to use this barrel. I cleaned out inner extension and chamber with degreaser just to make sure it wasn't grease. Today I am greeted with fresh rust where the inner barrel extension and barrel fit up. The chamber has a nice reddish hue to it also. I'm not going to bother with running a patch through it.

This is going back to Brownells and I'm going to save up and get a real barrel for this build.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:21:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2014 5:22:43 PM EST by tjm1911]
Originally Posted By 220ST:

Make a long story short: I ordered this barrel about the same time as the OP (11/25). Brownells is moving and delayed my order. I get the order yesterday (12/12).

First thing I notice about the Advanced Armament barrel is the inside of the barrel extension area is brownish red. I can't tell if the barrel extension was installed after the nitride finish. I clean out the funk, apply oil, and to me, it looks like the barrel and inner barrel extension are bare metal. The brownish red stuff is only rust, not grease. I figure with the price of the barrel, I'd try and clean out the rust and see what it looks like.

But wait, there's more. I wanted to mock up the upper, and went to loosely install the barrel, upper and PSA SPR hand guard. The barrel index pin is too long and sticks out too far so the barrel nut can't thread over it.

At this point I'm not sure I want to use this barrel. I cleaned out inner extension and chamber with degreaser just to make sure it wasn't grease. Today I am greeted with fresh rust where the inner barrel extension and barrel fit up. The chamber has a nice reddish hue to it also. I'm not going to bother with running a patch through it.

This is going back to Brownells and I'm going to save up and get a real barrel for this build.
View Quote

Ah thanks for the reply. My barrel has not even shipped yet! From what you told me I am inclined to just cancel this order! Brownells keeps saying oh it will ship, it will ship...and it still has not.

Advanced Armament makes some quality stuff from what I hear. Can't really believe the experience you had with it. Makes me very weary. Hmmm, Have you contacted Brownells or AA?

I am really bummed out now lol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:45:48 PM EST

View Quote

VooDoo Innovations barrels are good barrels, and I have those for sale

I too was looking hard at this barrel, but couldn't commit. Sorry for your misfortune on it, but I appreciate the input! Very helpful.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:51:07 PM EST
Ah thanks for the reply. My barrel has not even shipped yet! From what you told me I am inclined to just cancel this order! Brownells keeps saying oh it will ship, it will ship...and it still has not.

Advanced Armament makes some quality stuff from what I hear. Can't really believe the experience you had with it. Makes me very weary. Hmmm, Have you contacted Brownells or AA?

I am really bummed out now lol.
View Quote

I had bugged Brownells quite abit to get this order sent out. They want to hear from me anytime soon. I do know they have great customer service and will have no issue with me returning this. Brownells is out of stock on these barrels so I really can't exchange it anyway. I'll probably just order a DD or Brownells house brand barrel after News Years. Didn't plan on contacting AAC.

Here are two pictures I tried to take. Not the best camera.

Index pin too long:

Inner Barrel extension pic. This was after I cleaned it out and degreased it.:
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:24:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2014 7:25:13 PM EST by tjm1911]
Thanks for those pics. I actually Emailed AAC and asked how they assemble this particular barrel, once I get an answer I am going to contact brownells again. Now my order is on hold what ever that means. This is my first time ordering from them and Im not all too pleased.

That is a lot of rusting for overnight just after a de-greasing. The only metal I have that does that is my carbon fiber knife!

The index pin that is too long just screams of bad quality control and attention to detail with the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:26:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By ViperHummel:

I too was looking hard at this barrel, but couldn't commit. Sorry for your misfortune on it, but I appreciate the input! Very helpful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ViperHummel:

Are they for sale in the EE?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:05:45 PM EST
Thanks for those pics. I actually Emailed AAC and asked how they assemble this particular barrel, once I get an answer I am going to contact brownells again. Now my order is on hold what ever that means. This is my first time ordering from them and Im not all too pleased.

That is a lot of rusting for overnight just after a de-greasing. The only metal I have that does that is my carbon fiber knife!

The index pin that is too long just screams of bad quality control and attention to detail with the barrel.
View Quote

Brownells picked a weird time to move their warehouse AND change over their inventory software. They have been having order fulfillment issues over the past few months. I've been a long time customer of theirs, and will continue to use them. With my barrel order, it was part of a larger order. After waiting for a number of days I contacted them and was told the barrel was back-ordered. A few days later, it was in the warehouse, but they couldn't get it. A few more days they overnighted my entire order.

I'm wondering if they know these barrels have issues? It stalled my order, and they wouldn't ship until I contacted them a few times. These AAC barrels were part of Brownells' "Black Rifle" week sales. I would think they would have known they would sell more than a few of these, and not have them "lost" in some back corner of the warehouse. I haven't seen any other mention of this barrel beside this thread.

Either way, this barrel is going back. Would be unfortunate to be the next guy in line to get this exact barrel. Their return guys aren't the sharpest, and they will probably put this back into stock. This past Spring I returned a bad 1911 MSH and asked for a replacement. They sent me the same one I had sent in. After a phone call to CS, they sent me a good one and told me to just keep the bad one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:25:44 PM EST

Are they for sale in the EE?
View Quote

Yeah. They are in a post of a bunch of AR parts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:55:47 PM EST
I just cancelled my order due to the wait time and your input on this barrel. It sure does seem like a poor time to do all those modifications like you said. Doesn't make much sense. I'm not going to say they are a bad company, they are one of the biggest suppliers in the country but right now its not looking to good lol.

Now I will shop for a barrel again.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:13:56 PM EST

Index pin too long:
View Quote

Did you try tapping the pin downward? I thought I had that happen once with a barrel I got off of EE but the pin had worked it's way out just a little.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:31:35 PM EST
Thanks for those pics. I actually Emailed AAC and asked how they assemble this particular barrel, ...

View Quote

You ever get an answer from AAC?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:54:17 PM EST
Nope I did not. I cancelled my brownells order. I decided to order the Faxon 18" rifle length gas barrel from Aimsurplus. Just received it and mounted it today. I got the package in three days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:03:19 PM EST
My 16" 300 Blackout barrel I ordered directly from AAC back in the summer sale had a pin too long (already installed) also. A couple licks with a file and it's all good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:44:55 PM EST
Update 1/16/15:

I returned the barrel to Brownell's weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything from them or received a credit back. I finally called them to find out they are saying the return department is 2 - 3 weeks behind in processing returns.

Well, at least I have a tracking number to prove I shipped them the barrel.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:01:24 PM EST
As of today, that barrel is now $160.000 with the dealer discount.
Top Top