Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 1:38:12 PM EDT
And am a little worried about my wait time vs. a possible ban. Not to start a political thread, but what is the general consensus on the likelyhood of another ban? I am expecting a 6 month wait which puts me into January. I have heard that others ordering DPMS products have waited that long or longer. The wait isn't what bothers me that much. What I am wondering is I ordered a .223 but also would like to have a .308/7.62 in my collection as well. I have shot both and was amazed at feeling of the .308. I am not the most experienced shooter especially as far as AR's go, but man that thing was plain awesome.

So after rambling would it be a good bet just to get a complete lower or stripped reciever? . Would complete upper assemblies/barrels/bolts as well as other parts still be available after the ban? I am assuming since you need an FFL for the Lower Recievers only that complete rifles and lower recievers would be the only parts not available after a possible ban was put into affect.

I did a little research on the old ban and the info I found didn't list whether the ban included parts other than the lower recievers/complete rifles. I know it's a noob question but I am a noob so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
6mo wait? No thanks. Cancel & order from a vendor that has what you want in stock would be my suggestion. No one knows how any new ban could be worded or what types of features might be prohibited in any new ban(s). If one does come it won't be at the time the new POTUS is sworn in. Buying lowers & complete guns, ammo, good mags, parts, etc., is never a bad idea but who knows what might happen to be able to give any real indication what you should have on hand now. The way things are going in this country as of late it wouldn't surprise me if a total ban on everything is a possibility regardless if purchased pre-ban. Maybe a little extreme but I worry very little about things I cannot control.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
6 months is too long to wait...go buy something now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody takes office till Jan 16, Something like that. There are other options. Depending on money of course. Get a 5.56 not .223.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
what manufacturer did you order from?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just hit a gun show or two.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
6 months is too long.  There are plenty of places you can order a quality AR from without that kind of wait.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me make sure I am getting this correct, you are going to wait 6 months for a DPMS product?  Cancel the order and get an AR from someone else.  LMT, Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, and tons of others are out there and available with little to no wait time.

How much did you want to pay is the question.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is a AR-15 that is custom tailored to your needs/wants, then go ahead and wait.  If you can get if off the rack, by all means get it now.  I've heard Colt 6920 is in the shops now and ready to ship.  If that is not what you are looking for, shop around the Internet or call around, you may just find what you are looking for on the shelves.  Have fun and good luck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeez you guys are going to scare the poor person with all of the "Get it now" stuff. I wouldn't wait six months either. Not because of any ban coming up but because that is ridiculous. If you ordered from a manufacturer make sure that the same gun isn't in stock somewhere else for cheaper. It usually is for most everything. There is very few reasons to order straight from a manufacturer, they have dealers for a reasono.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
if it is dpms I have heard they have a 20% cancellation fee
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah like I said before it kind of isn't a get it now thing for me. DPMS seems to be pretty overwhelmed for one reason or another. I assume it is because of their pricepoint. I was swayed by the same reason, but definitely agree that 6 months is a long wait for an existing product. It isn't like I am ordering the newest offering from DPMS. It is a tried and trued model that has been around for a couple of years from my understanding. I didn't order anything custom for my choice either. It seems like they just underestimated demand vs. their obvious popularity in the first place. I may have to spend a couple hundred more dollars but quite honestly and simply put.... Time is money. I understand that the market is crazy right now for AR's and rightfully so. I just needed a push in the right direction. I will weigh my other options and select a different brand. If I only would have felt the need to get one about a year ago! Luckily I slotted my gun in on one of my dealers regular orders, so I shouldn't have to pay a fee should I switch to a different manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
i recently placed an order with them, if it wasn't for that 20% fee I probably would of already cancelled.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I am guessing you ordered an AP4 model (M4gery) from DPMS.  Nice rifle.  Got mine back in March 07.  Love it.  Not a problem ever with it.  But even back then, I sat through a 2 month wait.  Of course, when the order was called in by my FFL they were told it would be in in about 2 weeks.  I made a few calls to DPMS myself after a month had went by.  And finally someone there lit a fire.  Other than that wait, my experience with DPMS has been stellar.  I have ordered several parts and accessories from them and have had nothing but a great experience.

That said, 6 months is too long to wait. You may call them and explain to them that you were wanting the rifle sooner and that a 6 month wait was not expected when you ordered and see if they can wave the restock fee...  since they arent really restocking anything to begin with.  Keep us posted on that one.  Might just cause me to look for other sources in the future if they try to hold to that practice.  And just curious, did YOU order the rifle or did you have a FFL make the call for you?  

Several site partners on here can supply you with what you are looking for.  As stated, gunshows are always good, Hell, there was a distributor in Shotgun News that had DPMS's pretty cheap as well.  Sources are there, just gotta look for em.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks like Rainier Arms has LMT 16" guns in stock for $1200 and change.  That's where my money would go if I didn't have to buy prebans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah, on a side note...

A lot of people are running around screaming about the upcoming weapons ban come the new POTUS taking office...  And that is assuming that OBAMA will get the nod.

We need to keep a few things in mind as well...  Such as taking back and keeping control of Congress and The House.  We need majorities in office to keep what we do have without a nutcase like Pelosi in there to really stir the pot.

Also, the SCOTUS decision regarding Heller, although NOT specifically addressing assault weapons themselves, were discussed quite a bit more than I expected.  And with Justices like minded as Scalia, I think any ban could be struck down as unconstitutional by SCOTUS if groups such as the NRA and GOA would actually run at them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
the dealer called mine in, not sure if you were talking to me =o
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
There are far better ARs than DPMS that can be had NOW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There are far better ARs than DPMS that can be had NOW.

+1

Where do you live? Go to a gun store and pick one up tomorrow. I wouldn't wait one more day. I know all ARFCOMers only go to gun stores to pick up their transferred guns. But since this is your first AR just go buy one. Don't worry about the uber coolness of FFL to FFL transfers. Overrated, with FFL fees and shipping, it usually works out to the same price as buying in the store.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered a DPMS Panther Bull 16. The place I ordered from only can get DPMS and Remington. I have done very good business with them in the past and got preferred pricing through their bulk order. They have the same rifle in stock. I think in the long run going with an Armalite from a different dealer might be the way to go. Thinking about picking up a complete lower/complete upper and going with a free float as I don't really dig the carbine handguards or just having them build one up from scratch the way I want it. Either way I liked that both companies were one state away but the Armalite edges out with the lifetime warranty. The differences in makeup will make up for the extra couple hundred bucks. Plus I'm doing a little side job this weekend and raking in some extra cash that was going to go to a new handgun, so it might just get reallocated to the Armalite and just dump the rest off in mags and ammo!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#20]
i just talked to dpms, and was told there is no cancellation fee because the rifles are shipped out the day they are built. good news
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#21]
as sad as it is I was thinking about the ban also. I have been thinking about getting an at for awhile now but now with the scare of another ban, I want it now. So say there is going to be another ban, when do you think it would happen? Let's say Oboma got in, do you think it would happen? I guess it's time to renew the NRA membership.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
probably as soon as possible knowing him looped concept of CHANGE. anyways I don't think he'll make it into the white house.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top