Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2004 3:15:10 PM EST
OK Folks,

I'm new to the board and new to shooting an AR. I know little to nothing about these guns, but can't wait to get mine and begin shooting.

I purchased the DPMS left-handed 20" bull panther with a low profile upper. 1:8 twist SS barrel and a JP adjustable trigger. Going to put my IOR 10X tactical scope on it with Badger rings

This is going to become my wild pig, coyote and fun gun.

Bare with me, here are my dumb newbie questions.

1. How easy or hard are these guns to break down and clean? Any input on cleaning regiments would really help.

2. Do I need a special cleaning kit designed for AR's or will the one that is included with the rifle from DPMS work well?
3. If I need a new one, which kind and where to shop for one?

4. What type and kind of ammo for what I want to hunt? I don't want to shoot crap, but I upgraded to the 1:8 twist so I could shoot heavier bullets

I'm open to any advice ya'll want to give me.

As always, thanks for your support.

Jeff

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:28:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By TexasSouthpaw:
Bare with me

Uhmmmmmmmmm, I'd prefer to keep my clothes on, but thanks for the offer.

Anyway, with the 1/8 twist, you can step up to heavier bullets, like 69gr, 75, & 77gr ammo and feel confident that you will be able to shoot them accurately and reliably. I like the 69gr and 77gr SMKs.

The guns are very easy to clean. To minimize any possible damage due to cleaning, get a bore guide and a coated cleaning rod, like a one piece Dewey.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:32:33 PM EST
you should have gotten the stag-15L it has a foward assist, brass deflector, the bolt cams in the other direction and the barrel ext. is customized for a leftie. I got one fot my wife and she absolutey loves it.
Top Top