Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:06:22 PM EDT
If I do the SBR paperwork and get it back AOK, can I then send my upper to someone to have the barrel shortened, threaded and crowned?  My CAR-AR is a 45 ACP and it seems that 45 barrels are harder to find.  Also, mine is an 11.5 with permanent long flash hider so I'm thinking that cutting it would be an upgrade. Would this be a less expensive alternative over a new barrel and who does this type of work?

Thanks,
WKM
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, That is an excellent idea for the barrel. Steve at ADCO will hook you up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, ADCO has some neat stuff too!

WKM
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually the biggest problem with "cutting barrels" involves the wrong placement or size of gas port. However, if I'm correct in assuming your .45ACP barrel is recoil operated (i.e., no gas) you should be set.

Also, don't forget to mark your lower if you're using a Form 1 for an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if it is recoil operated or not.  This is my first AR so i'm a little new to this stuff.  When you say "mark" the lower, what do you mean?  I know the lower is the registered part.  Steve at ADCO already got back to me and said he could do it, no problem.  Thanks for all the help here.

I just looked inside the handguards and there is no gas tube but looks like a plug in the back of the front sight base.  Looks like I could go down to about 10.5" and still have the front sight base where it is now. If I went shorter, looks like new handguards and move front sight or ????

WKM
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not sure if it is recoil operated or not.  This is my first AR so i'm a little new to this stuff.  When you say "mark" the lower, what do you mean?  I know the lower is the registered part.  Steve at ADCO already got back to me and said he could do it, no problem.  Thanks for all the help here.

I just looked inside the handguards and there is no gas tube but looks like a plug in the back of the front sight base.  Looks like I could go down to about 10.5" and still have the front sight base where it is now. If I went shorter, looks like new handguards and move front sight or ????

WKM

I thought you said last question... what the hell are all of these????
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A regular AR is gas operated. Most pistol calibers are just recoil operated. So no gas tube = no gas. You're good to go.

Marking the lower is required for it to be an SBR. If you are the manufacturer, i.e. you sent in a Form 1, you must mark (engrave) the lower with your name and city, state. It then complies with the NFA regs. Check the "Full-Auto" forum under SBR FAQ.

If you went shorter (and people do on pistol cals), the easiest method it to lose the front sight block, use a free-float railed handguard, and a rail mounted front sight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry man but I've got to call BS on this. Who the hell SBRs their 1st AR and knows none of this?  If you really are doing this and you havent studied up on this stuff you could get in some serious trouble. I'm not trying to flame you, it just sounds crazy. I guess there is a first for everything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not sure if it is recoil operated or not.  This is my first AR so i'm a little new to this stuff.  When you say "mark" the lower, what do you mean?  IWKM

Here is the BATF ruling on that. (which would not be required if you bought a SBR from someone or as a new gun. Different deal). But poster is right about the Form 1, and making a SBR from a current civvie legal configuration.

See Page 6, - 179.102 - How Must Fireams be Identified?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds pretty straightforward.  Actually, it is my first AR.  I'm usually on the Cowboy Action shooting forums but this guy at work needed the cash and I thought, what the heck, looks like fun. Then I found this forum and all you guys talking about this SBR stuff and I thought, why not?

On another note, when you do mark the lower,  how does one do this in a professional manner? I wouldn't want it to look like a beaver gnawed it out or something.

WKM
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

On another note, when you do mark the lower,  how does one do this in a professional manner? I wouldn't want it to look like a beaver gnawed it out or something.

WKM

You can do anything from taking the lower (only) into your mall jewelry store or other keepsake engraver, or what most 'in-the-know' do is call on Tomsawyermanufacturing click on gun engraving.

He is the man, when it comes to such things
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not have ADCO remove the F/H. 11.5 is short enough for most.Then you can keep looking for other combos.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a good suggestion.  I looked at the Tom Sawyer website and he shows SBR engraving on the front of the magwell or on either side of the trigger (underside of lower).  I suppose either of these is ATF approved.  Thanks again for all the info here.

WKM
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I just saw this thread over on the full auto section about SBR engraving.  Looks like things are getting a little less complicated.

WKM

www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17660
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top