Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 11:52:26 AM EDT
Nice gun was a 16". They had 200 rounds of spc you could buy for it. I'd go poor trying to buy it though. lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a pic?  I've seen the pics on Barrett's website etc. but I heard they changed the flip up front sight since then..
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We just got one in where I work as well. Crud, ours only came with 100 rounds of ammo and we were unable to purchase anymore. Good gun, nice package deal with the SIR, #40L, Barrett flip up front, two mags, soft case cleaning kit and 100 rounds of Remmington ammo, but they sure are expensive. How much was the one you saw?

I've been looking all over the place and can't seem to locate one.

new-arguy: If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got to handle one today as well, and I noticed some things:

It looked to me like the new front sight / gasblock assembly has a threaded collar for those silencers that fit down over and enclose the front section of the barrel. It may be for something else, but thats what it looked like to me. It even had a thread protector that came with it.

Second, it looked like the muzzle break was threaded on, and then pinned and welded. I thought that pinning and welding was no longer required, as the barrel is supposed to be 16". I am sure though that it had a weld spot on the bottom of the brake.

Third, I only looked at it briefly but the bolt looked to me like the pics I have seen of that new "enhanced" bolt that LMT sells. It was Satin silver in color as well, and had rounded lugs and a bigger extractor.

Overall, I was impressed. It looked to be a well put together rifle, and it was nicely finished. The lower was stamped "Barrett" and the name was also laser etched in a couple of other spots. The ARMS forend looked good, and it had a 40L mounted as the rear sight. I do not know who made the front sight assembly, but it looked good, and functioned well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We just got one in where I work as well. Crud, ours only came with 100 rounds of ammo and we were unable to purchase anymore. Good gun, nice package deal with the SIR, #40L, Barrett flip up front, two mags, soft case cleaning kit and 100 rounds of Remmington ammo, but they sure are expensive. How much was the one you saw?

they paid 2300.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've been looking all over the place and can't seem to locate one.

new-arguy: If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do?

He's the only Gun-Shop Tech who can tell you which Merlot goes best with Black Hills 168 grain BTHP.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd also suggest the Stonestreet, since they include one free shattering target with every purchase!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You can never rely on Wolf to shoot 3" groups, but you can rely on Robert to serve up a nice Cabernet!!!
Always rate 90+

And usually about $25.00.
I just picked up two bottles at $19.95

Maybe we need to start a wine price list like the ammo thread!!!

$2535.00
www.barrettrifles.com/rifles/rifles_m468.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if there are any 6.8 flash suppressors available? We offer people who purchase the few Colts we get in (as well as the few fixed stock Bushmasters we had left after 9/13, and this Barrett) a reduced rate on any adjustable stock we have.

I have a 308/PSS Vortex on mine.  It works great.  Less flash with my handloads in utter darkness than BH75 through a Vortex'd 16" AR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't PRI offer a 6.8 F/H?  Or maybe it was a brake,
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
new-arguy:

I, too, have a .308 Vortex on my 6.8 upper, but I had to modify it to work.  The threaded portion was a bit too long.  If I remember correctly, I cut about .125" off the threaded end and blued it.  I spoke with the armorer (Bill) at Smith Enterprise about whether the Vortex should bottom on the barrel's thread shoulder or on the muzzle.   He said that it definitely needed to bottom on the muzzle.  If it didn't, the small "chamber" ahead of the muzzle would provide for powder ignition, causing a larger muzzle flash.

One other FYI:  there are differences in thread diameter and pitch with 6.8 barrels.  The .308 Vortex has a 5/8-24 thread.  Most, but not all, 6.8 barrels are 5/8-24.  I believe the Model 1 barrels are one of the exceptions, but I'm not positive.

HTH,
SAB
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I did have my Vortex milled back like SAB says, so that it would bottom out properly on my MSTN/PRI upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top