Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 3:07:26 PM EDT
Just shot my RRA Standard A4 for the first time, only got 180 rounds through it. When I shot it though, there seemed to be a loud rattling of a spring or something from the recoil. It was only appearant if you were shooting it though, was this just the spring in the mag rattling around? I had never shot an AR before today, a Mini-14 was the closest thing, and I dont recall anything this prominent when shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You are hearing the buffer spring and buffer in the stock, the sound is normal however some rifles make a little more noise than others.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You will learn to love it.
If you don't hear it something's wrong (out of ammo, jam).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
SPROING !

It's normal.  The fix is to put some grease on the coils of the spring.  This greatly reduces or even eliminates the noise.  It does not affect functioning at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
That's just the sound of a happy AR-15 purring.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost sounds like your ears are ringing for a second =-P
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's just the sound of a happy AR-15 purring.

YEAH BABY!!!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the info, I will try to pay less attention to it, or perhaps learn to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You aren't even going to try the grease trick I recommended?  I am not bullshitting you, it REALLY works.  Do as you please, it's still a free country.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just shot my RRA Standard A4 for the first time, only got 180 rounds through it. When I shot it though, there seemed to be a loud rattling of a spring or something from the recoil. It was only appearant if you were shooting it though, was this just the spring in the mag rattling around? I had never shot an AR before today, a Mini-14 was the closest thing, and I dont recall anything this prominent when shooting it.

HA!  I love AR noobs!  My friend made the same comment after firing my Bushmaster for the first time.  I just laughed and thought to myself, "oh to be an AR virgin again..."

The sad part is, I don't even hear it anymore...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I havent ruled out the grease yet, as I did find this sound rather annoying, but I guess I could get irritated from it enough to do something. But what grease would you recommend? Gun grease? Lithium Grease? Anything thick enough to soften the noise?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't make a mess inside the buffer tube.  It is unnecessary for reliability, and like someone else said, shoot your rifle enough and you won't even hear it.

I know I don't.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...there seemed to be a loud rattling of a spring or something from the recoil.

Hmmm... Now that takes me back awhile. Wonder if I'm going to hear it (again) next time.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#13]
You can use anything you have.  I've used wheel bearing grease, water-proof marine grease and white lithium grease, all worked.  Viscosity is not critical, nor temperature resistance.  You just want a viscous material to dampen the spring's vibration.

It does not make a mess because the greased spring is fully contained in the buffer tube (stock extension).  If you want to clean it out, flush it with some solvent (Hoppe's, mineral spritis, gasoline, carb cleaner).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top