Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2003 5:52:51 AM EDT
Just got my newest toy. 20" Bushmaster A3. I love the removeable handle and I love this rifle in general, absolutely beautiful. i cannot wait to get to the range. I saw some really cool A2 type muzzle brakes in the brownells catalog that I think I'd like to add on. The thread on type. What is the best route for threading the barrel to solder on a brake? Do the pin on brakes do any good and do they stay on? There is no way I am dimpling this barrel. This rifle is awesome. i thought I loved my pre-ban Oly but this rifle is the goods!!! Can't wait to get optics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:20:53 AM EDT
Good choice. The Bushmaster 20" A3 was my first choice when I got back into the AR-15 game after quite a few years away from it. It's long since been sold to buy a pre-ban Colt, which has also been sold to buy an M16. As for brakes, it's probably going to be a lot easier to send it off to someone like Kurt's Kustom to have it installed right. As much as you treasure this rifle, I wouldn't do it myself unless I was really capable. Take it out and enjoy it. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:57:13 AM EDT
Congrats, on your new Bushmaster, look forward to range reports. I have a new Bushy A2 shorty & think its awsome, not to mention accurate. Im also looking to add a muzzle brake, been looking around for one, I seem to like preban muzzle brakes, but have to settle for a postban muzzle brake. TG
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:13:41 AM EDT
Congrats on your new purchase. The A3 is a very good platform. Maybe you should try to make it something like the M16A4 fielded by the Marine Corps. It has the RAS freefloated handguard and comes with a Trijicon sights. [marines] Max
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:18:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By maxell27: Congrats on your new purchase. The A3 is a very good platform. Maybe you should try to make it something like the M16A4 fielded by the Marine Corps. It has the RAS freefloated handguard and comes with a Trijicon sights. [marines] Max
View Quote
Funny you say that, that's what i was thinking. As far as the A2 brake i found in the brownells catalog, I'm wondering if I should just wait until next September to see if I can put a real flas suppresor on it. Not that I would ever, ever do it and I mean it I wouldn't but what are the penalties for flash hiders on post bans? Seriously, I abide by the law and wouldn't do it but curious. Any other suggestions on who could thread the barrel for the brake?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:46:35 PM EDT
I just fired my first NRA HighPower match today with a stock Bushmaster AR 20". The only modification I did was to fill the stock cavity with lead balls for weight. I managed to shoot a 755-11x out of a possible 800 on a 200yd range. Yes, they do shoot good!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:47:13 PM EDT
Go Bushy !
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:59:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gordo99: I just fired my first NRA HighPower match today with a stock Bushmaster AR 20". The only modification I did was to fill the stock cavity with lead balls for weight. I managed to shoot a 755-11x out of a possible 800 on a 200yd range. Yes, they do shoot good!
View Quote
Outstanding. I'm tellin' ya, nicest AR I have ever handled. I held a Colt an Armalite and the the Bushy at the shop. The Bushy is the finest by far, by a long shot. I am really a FAL man at heart but I have been going through an AR kick lately. I can't be happier. Still need to figure out what to do in regards to a muzzle brake. An AR no matter how nice it is just looks weird with the naked muzzle. What grain were you using in the match? 1 in 9 on the 20" right? I'm trying to determine the best round. I have an OLY pre-ban I just rebuilt with a 1 in 9 20" A2 upper. I shoot 55gr Remington. Very, very tight groups. Did you break your barrel in? I have to admit I never do and I have never ever had an accuracy or cleaning problem. And by the way, outstanding shooting!!!
Top Top