Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:49:22 PM EDT
Hey fellas, I bought a LMT 14.5 M4 upper a few months back.. It is not SBR'd yet and have been storing it locked up way far away from my other AR's. The goal has been to SBR it to replace the CMMG 16" M4 upper on my go to carbine, but lately I have been wondering... why all that trouble for just roughly an inch and a half? By the time it is all said and done that is going to be a $700 1.5" I know it would be a little more well balanced, handier, true M4 profile etc.. But the 16' isn't that bad!!  Yall think it would make more sense to sell off the 14.5 and live with the 16"? Or if I was going to go through the trouble and $$$ to SBR my carbine then pick up a 10.5 upper?

Thanks,

P
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Me personally, if I were going to pay  the $200, I'd go with the 10.5-12" barrel.

I had a Bushmaster with a 14.5/perm Izzy compensator that I sold to another deputy. The last time we were at the range and I handled his AR, I noticed the differrence between his 14.5 and my 16. Of course, his is stock, while mine has a bunch of cool-guy stuff on it. I do still wish I had that 14.5 Bushy for its handiness.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Have an extended A2 flash hider perm pinned on it.

ETA: beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Can ADCO pin the standard A2 that is on it now? I measured roughly 16" 3/4 from the start of the feed ramps to the end of the FH
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ADCO can do just about anything and they are very highly regarded here. I don't think the standard A2 will be long enough.

ETA: let your BCG slam closed and stick a wooded dowel down the barrel and make a mark at the end of the FH. Pull the dowel out and measure. Think it would be a little too short.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell BOTH carbine uppers and get a 16" midlength. You benefit from the significant extra velocity (increasing frag range significantly) of the 16", and you get smoother, more reliable cycling. WIN-WIN-WIN. All you "lose" is the tacticool look of the M4 cut .
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that paying $200 for a 14.5" setup is worth it. Personally, I went with a 10.5" for my SBR. Either pin/weld a phantom flash hider to your 14.5 or put it on the EE and have a few extra bucks in your pocket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Perm attach a flash hider to the 14.5".

That's what I did with mine, not worth the trouble going SBR on a 14.5" to me
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
this is a tech forum not gd
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me personally, if I were going to pay  the $200, I'd go with the 10.5-12" barrel.

this^
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
coc
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
coc
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
coc
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuck....reading and comprehension on this site is at an all time low....   bunch of dumb-fucks...some of you need to either lay off the weed or go back to school.

To the OP, I agree that 14.5 isn't worth it either. That 1.5 really doesn't make much sense either dollar wise or performance wise.  Now going to 10.5, now you are talking compact, where the cost and performance equal out.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/aandsevans/zoomin.gif

let me spell it out for you.

OP = My nosey ass neighbor has a little pink poodle who craps on my lawn, what should I do?

replies =
1) ya, my neighbor picks his nose with his pinky too.
2) Dude, don't buy a poodle, get a manly dog like a pit bull those things rock.
3) Shoot it
4) People who dye their dogs pink are stupid, just ignore them.

This is what I mean.  3/4 of the posters are fucking clueless as to what the OP said.

Reading is fundamental.  The OP states that he is thinking that 14.5" isn't really worth the hassle/cost of the NFA stamp, and asks if he should be content with a 16" or go with 10.5" if he's going to move forward and SBR it.  Almost all of the posts, excepting yours, answered in ways that were completely relevant to the OP.

I'm a little confused here...I don't know maybe I'm new to the whole SBR thing and I'm still waiting on my tax stamp for my LOWER....why the heck are you SBR'ing an upper. Just SBR the lower and put what ever upper you want on it. You can even change from a 14.5 to a 10.5 and back again..Can somebody explain why I'm thinking somebody has not doen his home work yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuck....reading and comprehension on this site is at an all time low....   bunch of dumb-fucks...some of you need to either lay off the weed or go back to school.

To the OP, I agree that 14.5 isn't worth it either. That 1.5 really doesn't make much sense either dollar wise or performance wise.  Now going to 10.5, now you are talking compact, where the cost and performance equal out.

OP = My nosey ass neighbor has a little pink poodle who craps on my lawn, what should I do?

replies =
3) Shoot it

This is what I mean.  3/4 of the posters are fucking clueless as to what the OP said.

Reading is fundamental.  The OP states that he is thinking that 14.5" isn't really worth the hassle/cost of the NFA stamp, and asks if he should be content with a 16" or go with 10.5" if he's going to move forward and SBR it.  Almost all of the posts, excepting yours, answered in ways that were completely relevant to the OP.

I'm a little confused here...I don't know maybe I'm new to the whole SBR thing and I'm still waiting on my tax stamp for my LOWER....why the heck are you SBR'ing an upper. Just SBR the lower and put what ever upper you want on it. You can even change from a 14.5 to a 10.5 and back again..Can somebody explain why I'm thinking somebody has not doen his home work yet.

I think his terminology is just off.  The point is he has a <16inch upper in his possession, hence why it's locked away (still not going to save him, but it's a good faith attempt).  Since he already has a 14.5 inch upper, he is asking if SBRing a lower is worth it.  Most would vote "no" simply for a 14.5––may as well go 10.5 if he's going to do that.  Therefore, most here have stated he should just perm attach a FH that will bring him out to 16 inches.

Speaking of doing one's homework: it is impossible to "SBR an upper."
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

replies =
3) Shoot it

I think his terminology is just off.  The point is he has a <16inch upper in his possession, hence why it's locked away (still not going to save him, but it's a good faith attempt).  Since he already has a 14.5 inch upper, he is asking if SBRing a lower is worth it.  Most would vote "no" simply for a 14.5––may as well go 10.5 if he's going to do that.  Therefore, most here have stated he should just perm attach a FH that will bring him out to 16 inches.

Speaking of doing one's homework: it is impossible to "SBR an upper."

Thats makes better since....but I have seen several post on the class 3 pages talking about SBR'ing or getting the tax stamp for a barrel in palce of an upper. My falt for saying upper when meaning barrel. Or maybe I wasn't understanding the class 3 pages.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
But I agree that just going 14.5 prob isn't worth it. "Seems" 11.5 is the most popular size right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think saving 1.5" is even worth it with pinning. For the money you spend pinning it, you could have half of a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#19]
If carbine gas systems are more violent, what lends them to being less reliable?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thats makes better since....but I have seen several post on the class 3 pages talking about SBR'ing or getting the tax stamp for a barrel in palce of an upper. My falt for saying upper when meaning barrel. Or maybe I wasn't understanding the class 3 pages.

The lower (where the serial # is) is the part that's registered as an SBR.  The rest of the information, i.e. manufacturer and city, state; can be engraved on the lower or the barrel.  On the AR, most people are going to engrave the lower, that way they don't have to ensure that every single barrel they put on that lower is marked.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Alright, the lower is what's actually SBR'd. The upper is not serialized; therefore it can't be registered. All relevant information must be engraved on the lower (there are also rules on how deep the engraving must be and the size of the text). It'll look a little something like this:

Joe Blow
  Some town, Florida

Once you get your tax stamp back, you can switch uppers to your heart's content. However, it's wise to keep the original upper that was intended for it per the forms whenever you were filling it out. If you happen to make a permanent change to your SBR, you must report it to the NFA branch so that they could update the database.  For example, you described your SBR as a 10.5" with an overall length of 29'. If you decide to put a 14.5" on there instead, just tell the ATF.

If I were you, I'd let a friend hold the 14.5" upper for the time being as the ATF would jack you up for "constructive intent" if they were to go to your residence for some strange reason. It's just a good way of covering your ass until you decide what you would like to do.

ETA: 10.5" greatness.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Holy [I am a filthy mouthed moron]....reading and comprehension on this site is at an all time low....   bunch of dumb-[CWDraco's]...some of you need to either lay off the weed or go back to school.

Yeah and you need to go back to charm school.

You are an ignorant fool, coming here with your ignorant tyrade and I believe I have seen other similar posts from you on this site.  Do you realize that your language and tone completely mitigates whatever useful information you might have to provide?

You apparently think that spewing this language makes you tougher or makes you cool.  The the rest of civilized society, you look pathetic.

How about toning it down and just posting the useful, relevant information you think you know?

New
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#23]
In my opinion its not worth it to SBR a 14.5 in upper. Id much rather go with a 10.5 lmt or preferably a BCM 11.5 in "costa" style upper that Neil from Gun Gallery has been putting together lately. He just finished building one for me and I can`t wait to take it out when my lower gets approved!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#24]
if you want to build a close as you can get to a real M4 yes it is worth it. I pinned a Phantom and love it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#25]
got tired of editing coc violations. please don't quote such things
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top