Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 2:39:40 AM EDT
...but at least she didn't see the six USGI 30 rounders that I brought home too

Last month I bought four cases of LC M193 and a bunch of ammo cans to store it in. After thinking about it for a while I posted here to ask how much ammo was enough, subconsciously knowing that I had more than enough...

...Needless to say the helpful posters here showed me the light. I'm going to try to buy at least two cases per month for the foreseeable future. I'm not to the point of burying it in the backyard yet, but I am running out of room in the ammo locker.

She also doesn't know that I have 20 Brit black teflon 30 rounders due in next week, and she barely knows about the Colt 6400C M4 carbine that I brought home a few days ago. To her it's just another BSG (big scary gun). The Aimpoint Comp M2, ARMS mount, BUIS, and Surefire forend will also be slipped in under the radar screen if possible.

You guys helped get me into this mess, so please help me get out of it [:\]

What the hell should I tell her?

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
did you get a good deal on the ammo????---I am looking for some to put away for a rainy day---thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
did you get a good deal on the ammo????---I am looking for some to put away for a rainy day---thanks
View Quote

I've been buying it locally for just under $100 per 500 round case. I swapped a bunch of Thermold mags for these two cases though.

When my local gunshop runs out www.ammoman.com has it for $199 per 1000 delivered. I'm not sure if that's the absolute best price but I've always liked their service.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a sickness, the only cure is to divest yourself of either your guns, gear and ammo or your wife...learn to cook.

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't remember who, but someone here had to rent a pallet jack to move all his 2700 round tubs of South African when he moved.
View Quote

WOW!! I'd need a bigger house [:D] Back in 1997 when my wife and I bought our current home the president of the condo association came over to introduce himself as we were moving in. He offered to help so I started handing him heavy boxes with labels like "rifle parts, rifle ammo, shotgun ammo, reloading supplies, 9mm 40s&w 357 pistol ammo, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, trauma kit" etc.

He didn't know what to think [:I]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a sickness, the only cure is to divest yourself of either your guns, gear and ammo or your wife...learn to cook.

View Quote

[b]NEVER!!![/b]

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah the widow maker. [argue]
I like it. Sounds like good name for my rifle.

May try lots and lots of therapy. But that would cost more than the rifle. [coffee]
SOL I’d say.
Hope you got a good dog man. [snoopy]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Just keep reminding her of all the money you save by buying in bulk.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just keep reminding her of all the money you save by buying in bulk.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
View Quote

She uses that line on me every week. I wonder what would happen if I tried it on her?

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell her... [:D]
That you have the info of new green ammo coming out soon. Show her the info on the website. Then tell her the market for lead M193 will go through the roof in the next 2-3 years. Tell her it is a better investment than the stock market, and you will buy her something pretty, when the money starts rolling in! [;D]

Spooge Out!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes I would just try to tell her that it was on sale.  Thats what all the women I know do when they come back from the mall with an arm full of stuff. They say "I really didn't need this stuff but It was onsale". Put in women terms makes it easy for them to understand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes I would just try to tell her that it was on sale.  Thats what all the women I know do when they come back from the mall with an arm full of stuff. They say "I really didn't need this stuff but It was onsale". Put in women terms makes it easy for them to understand.
View Quote

I'm going to take the "look at all the money we saved" approach.

It works for her, maybe it will work for me [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
This is some of the best ball ammo money can buy.

I use it for highpower practice in my DCM rifle.

I am lucky and I have a good friend at at local dealer. I pay $78 a 500 round case.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I am lucky and I have a good friend at at local dealer. I pay $78 a 500 round case.
View Quote

WOW [:O]

I love it too. It feeds fine and has plenty of snap. It's also more accurate than I thought it would be considering that it's standard military ammo. Since I started shooting M193 I have pretty much stopped reloading.

In a couple hours I'm going to blast off to the local surplus store to grab a few more ammo cans. I wish I could find another N340 ammo can-you can fit mags six across in them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Ahhh yes. The dark side is strong with you, my young apprentice. [}:D].

There is only one hope for you: send it all to me. I will rid you of this evil curse before it's too late. I can't even buy half a case of ammo anymore without getting some evil eye. [BD]

IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME. SAVE YOURSELF! SEND ME YOUR STASH!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Save your marriage! Send all excess 30 rd mags and ammuntion (guns, optics, etc.) directly to ME! [;D]
Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.  I can [b]NEVER[/b] manage to slip these types of purchases under the radar!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#17]
CJan_NH, I can help you burn off that excssive ammo before your wife notices.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
CJan_NH, I can help you burn off that excssive ammo before your wife notices.[:D]
View Quote

HA! Then I'd get yelled at for never being home [:D]

At this point I should probably mention that my wife is a total sweetheart who supports all of my hobbies. She has her own HK USP40, Sig P228, and is a crack shot with my HBARs. I'm betting that once she shoots this new M4 I'll probably never get it back, because her principle gripe about an HBAR is that it's too big and heavy for her comfort.

There. Was that enough to cover my ass?

I hope so [peep]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Save your marriage! Send all excess 30 rd mags and ammuntion (guns, optics, etc.) directly to ME! [;D]
Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.  I can [b]NEVER[/b] manage to slip these types of purchases under the radar!
View Quote

You need to use the force to intercept the mail, young Jedi...

I've been intercepting the mail since 1993 [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Lake City XM193, $179.97, or $170.97 for 1000 if you are part of their buyer's club:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=47461
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I've decided on celibacy so that I can buy whatever I want without any girlfriend or wives questioning me.  [headbang][uzi]

E
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lake City XM193, $179.97, or $170.97 for 1000 if you are part of their buyer's club:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=47461
View Quote

Don't forget the $15 discount coupon for orders $150 and over... reminds me, I need to go update the discount codes in the NY forum.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've decided on celibacy so that I can buy whatever I want without any girlfriend or wives questioning me.  [headbang][uzi]

E
View Quote

Very Good Grasshopper a monks life is a lonely but prosperous one.[hail2][8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Ever since I gave my wife her own M4, she tells ME to buy lots and lots of ammo!  Instead of you getting rid of the "sickness", infect her.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ever since I gave my wife her own M4, she tells ME to buy lots and lots of ammo!  Instead of you getting rid of the "sickness", infect her.
View Quote

You know, that's a brilliant idea. Before our daughter was born she used to get after me to crank up the Dillon so she could shoot her USP40...

...I think you're on to something Dilbert [:)]

The only downside to giving her her own M4 is that she'll want hers as decked out as mine is about to be. That means in addition to the 6400c she'll need an Aimpoint, ARMS mount and BUIS, a Surefire forend and another gunsmith action job.

Not to mention that I'll need a bigger safe-my M4 brings it to capacity.

If she sees the cost of the extra goodies for her M4 I'll definitely get busted [spank]

Thanks for the tip!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was exactly what I did. She has her own Colt M4.  No questions about guns and ammo anymore.  I have a feeling that I better get two AK74s.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Gather round as Hiram splainz it to ya...

You get Bushy preban M4s... womenz gets post-ban kit guns built with Century receivers...

You get Q3131A... womenz be gettin Wolf .223...

You get Inrange and ORF built 74s... they get converted Romak 992s...

Got it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gather round as Hiram splainz it to ya...

You get Bushy preban M4s... womenz gets post-ban kit guns built with Century receivers...

You get Q3131A... womenz be gettin Wolf .223...

You get Inrange and ORF built 74s... they get converted Romak 992s...

Got it?
View Quote

Heh [:)] My wife would [i]somehow[/i] know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Have her read 1)Revelations 2)Unintended Consequences by John Ross 3)1984 by George Orwell 4) WW2 History. If she still believes that Guns are evil and your are out of your mind for stocking up on ammo, then you'll need to learn how to cook for one, or start buying her presents every time you stock up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I stopped buying presents...she suspected.
Just ordered more ammo, my large ammo chest is full and my 8 50.cal tall cans are full. I dont know where I am going to store this lot!
I have it sent to work so she doesnt know, and I store it away when she is out. No problem there but my gun safe is full now as well!!!!!
Several new guns have filled it up just recently,but the safe is always locked so no one can see whats in it, and as I have loads of shooting related stuff she thinks I already had it for a while.Just dont start fondling your new addition cause they know then it must be NEW!!!!!!
WHERE TO STORE THIS OTHER AMMO?????
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have her read 1)Revelations 2)Unintended Consequences by John Ross 3)1984 by George Orwell 4) WW2 History. If she still believes that Guns are evil and your are out of your mind for stocking up on ammo, then you'll need to learn how to cook for one, or start buying her presents every time you stock up.
View Quote

She's not an anti-she has two pistols of her own. The "big scary gun" label is tongue in cheek.

She just has a hard time understanding why we need thousands of rounds, that's all [:)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Just don't tell her. I intercept all incoming shipments. My wife could not tell I got a new upper or a new ACOG (thank god) and she sees me with it regular. If she finds it tell her you've had it for a long time. The key is to have a bunch of stuff. I have my own room its full of rifles, pistols, parts, computer and computer parts its a mess, she just stays the hell out of there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just don't tell her. I intercept all incoming shipments. My wife could not tell I got a new upper or a new ACOG (thank god) and she sees me with it regular. If she finds it tell her you've had it for a long time. The key is to have a bunch of stuff. I have my own room its full of rifles, pistols, parts, computer and computer parts its a mess, she just stays the hell out of there.
View Quote

Heh. I have a room like that too. She calls it "the cave" [:)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh. I have a room like that too. She calls it "the cave" [:)]
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#35]
 question.... am i the only one here who REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to have a "WAR ROOM", and, as such, is marked on the door way.
 the contents of said room will be as follows:
- ALL KINDA guns on the walls, so as to be confused with a class 3 dealer. so when friends are allowed entry, the phrase "OH MY GOD!" shall be the first thing uttered.
- ammo OUT THE YING YANG on METAL shelves below the guns on the walls(i mean LOTS people)
- the aforementioned shelves (of metal construction) shall also contain pre ban 30rd mags, on the order of a hundred or so,(give or take a few dozen) AS WELL AS all mags for other fire arms.  this shall also include beta-c's. the true number of said mags will not be known by the owner (me), because there will just be "too damn many"
- a progressive reloader shall also be present, with all necessary accessories close by.  including, but not limited to, bullets, brass, powder, and all dies, for the calibers the owner (me) deems necessary.
-the "spousal unit" or "wife", if you will, shall have full knowledge of said room, but NO veto power as to the contents of said room.  nor shall there be a withholding of sex due to the purchasing of contents for said room... even if it was her birthday.  the phrase "i had to buy 20 cases of m193, i got a great deal" shall be a LEGITIMAT excuse for eating easy mac for the next 2 months.
- a computer with internet connection shall also be present, so as to maintain contact with all at ar15.com, and post pics and descriptions of current build projects.  as well as keep up with current prices, new toys, etc.
- any other additions not mentioned here shall be added without any hearing on the correct appropriations of funds.  the owner (me) shall maintain marshal law inside the room, and shall deem all future acquisitions, regardless of price... "a damn good idea".

if all of the above units are not met with APPROVAL by the POTENTIAL spousal unit, also known as "my girlfriend."  said girlfriend will waive her rights and privileges as "my girlfriend" as her butt will be on the corner, and i will be looking for some one else.

please sign below if this is acceptable

X____________________________
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Besides the obvious investment value, consider if our society actually does break down some day, as it almost did on 9-11, a single round of loaded ammo may buy you a bottle of water, ten rounds a meal, an ammo can full a tank of gas...
Just don't keep it all in one place, spread load it.
As far as how much?  Assume you are forced to evacuate out of state and will never return to your cache.  Just what are you going to pack in the car/suv,truck, etc. if you have all of two hours to prepare?
Besides one or two rifles, a shotgun, and a pistol or two--plus an appropriate long term supply of ammo for all, cleaning gear, how much room is left for the beer, food, dog, kids, gas grill, fishing equipment, extra clothing, ax, shoval, hand tools, tent, fuel can, motor oil, etc., and maybe you wife?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
 question.... am i the only one here who REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to have a "WAR ROOM", and, as such, is marked on the door way.
View Quote

My workroom features all of the accoutrements you mentioned, in addition to all of my tools. The only difference is that my weapons and ammo are locked up, and only a trusted few in my circle of friends know about my so-called "arsenal". When the gas company comes to clean the furnace I don't want my "war room" to be the topic of conversation around the water cooler. To allow such a conversation would be an invitation to be robbed.

Back in 1999 the standard line of my neighbors, friends, and family was that if something bad happened everyone is coming to [i]my[/i] house. I found this unacceptable and worked long and hard to discourage their thinking. There is not a Red Cross logo on my door, and I refuse to share resources with people who lack foresight. Call me cold or call me a prick, but my pre-planning is for the benefit of myself and my family-nobody else. This is one of the reasons why my SHTF supplies, propane, canned goods and generator aren't advertised to my friends. Here in New England the ice storm we had a few years ago highlighted the need for preparedness.

My neighbors looked at me like I was the Red Cross then too. I was literally the only one in the neighborhood who had electricity, heat, and hot water. Because I had it and they didn't, I was [i]expected[/i] to share. I did end up going out of my way to help my neighbors, but not without some reservations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My workroom features all of the accoutrements you mentioned, in addition to all of my tools. The only difference is that my weapons and ammo are locked up, and only a trusted few in my circle of friends know about my so-called "arsenal". When the gas company comes to clean the furnace I don't want my "war room" to be the topic of conversation around the water cooler. To allow such a conversation would be an invitation to be robbed.

Back in 1999 the standard line of my neighbors, friends, and family was that if something bad happened everyone is coming to [i]my[/i] house. I found this unacceptable and worked long and hard to discourage their thinking. There is not a Red Cross logo on my door, and I refuse to share resources with people who lack foresight. Call me cold or call me a prick, but my pre-planning is for the benefit of myself and my family-nobody else. This is one of the reasons why my SHTF supplies, propane, canned goods and generator aren't advertised to my friends. Here in New England the ice storm we had a few years ago highlighted the need for preparedness.

My neighbors looked at me like I was the Red Cross then too. I was literally the only one in the neighborhood who had electricity, heat, and hot water. Because I had it and they didn't, I was [i]expected[/i] to share. I did end up going out of my way to help my neighbors, but not without some reservations.
View Quote

Agreed.

If you feel the need to show off your WAR ROOM, you shouldn't have one.

Storage for ammo- medium term, basement/ crawlspace.   Long term, bury it

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Agreed.

If you feel the need to show off your WAR ROOM, you shouldn't have one.

Storage for ammo- medium term, basement/ crawlspace. Long term, bury it
View Quote

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Staying under the radar beats the alternative. I want my stuff to remain my stuff. If I wanted to show off I'd have a 911 or something in the driveway. If I wanted to brag I'd take up skydiving.

We live in a pretty screwed up world. Someone can break into your home, steal your weapons and use them in a crime-and then the BG's victims can clean [i]your[/i] clock in civil court. Leaving weapons and ammunition out in open sight is asinine and begging for trouble.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Just tell her(only when she asks, of course) that the (insert newly purchased item/items here) was/were "surprisingly affordable" and leave it with a cheerful smile!!  So far, when I tell my lovely bride the same, she doesn't inquire any further.  Try it.  As my Daddy used to say, "Can't hurt...might help."
                                 [flame]  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#41]
"Can't hurt...might help."
View Quote

Hmmm...

My dad used to day that it's better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.

I think the two of you are on to something [:)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm not married yet, but if a family member or girlfriend, etc. questions a new expensive addition, ( I have a habit of showing off my toys to family/close friends, sorry, can't help it, I am proud of them...) I have found it works to explain that I traded a gun, etc. for my new gun. I might even suggest that I made a profit on the gun that I traded b/c the value had risen, and sometimes, that is actually true. No one really knows exactly what I have anyway, not even me. Too much to bother counting on gear, mags, and ammo :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#43]
For every dollar you spend on ammo put back a dollar for a diamond for her then right before you buy your next AR give it to her and whisper in her ear that you you're getting a new rifle.

Just make sure it's a quiet, subtle whisper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top