Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 11:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 11:42:37 PM EDT by jichoe]
Been reading for a couple of months and researching for even longer, and I have a few questions which I have yet to find a complete answer for. Much obliged if you guys could help me find the right thread or fill me in.

1. What is the difference between the pre-ban and post-ban products?
2. Looking into the RRA Entry Tactical Rifle and CAR Tactical Rifle, but could not find a difference between the two other than the barrel cutouts. Is that the only difference or is there something more?
3. Between the various a3 and the a4 models, what are the differences between each other than the tops? Are there any?
4. Are the rifles mentioned in question #2 good or can I do better? Don't want to put together a new rifle from scratch until I am more familar with them. Looking for a rifle most similar to the military m4/m16 in aspects such as function and feel. What differences are there between these and true USMC version m16?

Forgive me if these are really noob questions but I've only been able to find partial answers to these and just want someone to explain it to me. Otherwise could you please point me in the right directions. The search function limits what I can do on the forum, and have yet to find a thread covering the exact answers I am looking for. TIA.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:45:29 PM EDT
Am not familiar with RRA, but as far as #1 goes for you in Texas dont worry about it.
Postban bbls will usually not have a bayo lug and threaded bbl as there were produced between 9/14/1994 and 9/13/2004. (Unless they have been reto-fitted)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:46:14 PM EDT
Welcome to the board, Keep reading all you questions will be solved at this board
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
No more? I guess I'll just keep searching.
Thanks anyways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 7:24:08 PM EDT by NapeSticksToKids]
hey, im a newb too, as well as trying to get a best match to the USMC A4. how much are you willing to spend? ive never built a gun before, but i have ordered all the parts for the gun, just the parts that would be field stripped. here is parts list of what ive ordered:

-LMT Detachable Carry Handle
-LMT Chrome Lined Bolt Carrier Group
-RRA lower receiver, complete lower half with A2 buttstock
-RRA charging handle with Badger Ordnance tactical latch installed
-Bravo Company Mfg. (bravocompanyusa.com) 20" Barreled Upper Receivers (1/7 Twist) 20 inch Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber, 5.56 NATO, Government Profile, with 4150 barrel steel, 1/7 Twist. These are built with an T-marked Flat Top with factory M4 feedramps, and the proper Mil-Spec taller F-marked forged front sight base. All barrels are HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) per Mil-Spec. Does not include handguards, BCG, CH."
-Handguards

I also have gotten 9 mags, 2 pouches, a gun bag, a LULA loader, a buttstock cleaning kit, regular cleaning kit, USMC tech manual, and a Specops Mamba sling. The total of everything at this point is around 1400 dollars.

the prebans were made before the 1994 AWB, and have a bayonet lug, flash hider, and can have a collapsible stock. anyone else want to add to that? the post bans have those things removed, but now, the AWB has expired and federally that stuff is legal, except some individual states have their own bans. i dont know what texas is like.

im in Marine ROTC, so that is why im trying to get the closest match. the A3 is the civilian designation and the A4 is the military designation for the M16A2, but with the removable carry handle, under which is a rail for optics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:58:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jichoe:
Been reading for a couple of months and researching for even longer, and I have a few questions which I have yet to find a complete answer for. Much obliged if you guys could help me find the right thread or fill me in.

1. What is the difference between the pre-ban and post-ban products? Rifles made from September 1994 to September 2004 couldn't have collapsible stocks, threaded muzzles, or bayonet lugs if the had a pistol grip and the ability to accept a high capacity magazine.
2. Looking into the RRA Entry Tactical Rifle and CAR Tactical Rifle, but could not find a difference between the two other than the barrel cutouts. Is that the only difference or is there something more? The Entry Tactical will come with a Tactical Carry Handle witch is almost useless, except for the iron sites. The CAR and Entry will have optional chrome-lined barrels, get it. Other than that, there will be a Hogue grip and a RRA Star safety on the Entry. The collapsible stock will be optional on the CAR.
3. Between the various a3 and the a4 models, what are the differences between each other than the tops? Are there any? In the civilian sector, A3 and A4 are univerally accepted terms for the flattop upper receiver. They mean different things in the military, but you won't encounter anything different when ordering parts for an AR.
4. Are the rifles mentioned in question #2 good or can I do better? Don't want to put together a new rifle from scratch until I am more familar with them. Looking for a rifle most similar to the military m4/m16 in aspects such as function and feel. What differences are there between these and true USMC version m16? Rock River makes some great rifles. Definitely one of the best bang for your buck in the industry. There is always something better, but it's not always cheap, and it's not always needed. You shouldn't think twice about getting a RRA.
Forgive me if these are really noob questions but I've only been able to find partial answers to these and just want someone to explain it to me. Otherwise could you please point me in the right directions. The search function limits what I can do on the forum, and have yet to find a thread covering the exact answers I am looking for. TIA.

Joe

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:33:56 PM EDT
You guys are top notch. Although I've gotta get my Glock first, an ar15 shouldn't be too far behind (aiming towards Christmas time). Just need a little more time to research and figure out what I really want. Thanks for all the help.Joe
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:04:06 PM EDT
Don't research and get just what you want...

Order right now what you think you want...that way when you figure out it wasn't exactly what you needed, you will have to order a second. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TWO!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:27:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yossarian:
Don't research and get just what you want...

Order right now what you think you want...that way when you figure out it wasn't exactly what you needed, you will have to order a second. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TWO!!!

lmao.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:53:57 AM EDT
Welcome to the board! It's a wealth of info and gear opinions. There are no dumb questions when it comes to your gear.
1. I get a little confused on this sometimes also. When I order a barrel or upper I just make sure or state that I want it threaded for a flash suppressor (or not for a varminter). I wish they would just state with or without threads or suppressor; this pre-ban, post-ban, no-ban crap is ridiculus.
2. Just list the features you want and compare to the best of your ability; I'm not up to speed on these variants. What's best; it's all good. Just depends what you want.
3. I'm not positively sure, I think they are the same upper receiver (flat top) but maybe different barrel configuration. Someone else will have a definitive answer for you I'm sure.
4. RRA makes great gear. It just depends what you are looking for and like/want. Some say the closest that a civilian will get to an M4 is buy one from Colt (civilian version). That being said, here is what a friend of mine did and is very happy with. He wanted an M4 (or M4forgery) also.
a. Buy a lower of your choice (other than Hesse or Vulcan), pick a rollstamp design that you like or pricewise, whatever you decide (it's hard to go wrong). He chose an Essential Arms forged lower (and has bought several since). Buy a Lower Parts Kit (Stag, CMT, RRA) and a complete stock assembly of your choice and put it together (it's easy and fun!)
b. Buy an upper of your choice. (and some mags, CLP, patches,etc.) Clean and lube all parts, etc. Place upper and lower together, presss in two pins and voila! instant AR! He bought his M4 upper from M&A parts and is completely happy with it, most of the parts on it are RRA btw. M&A is bashed here regularly (they have/had an asshat employee in their midst evidently) but he has done good business with them. That being said; a friend of his needed an AR for work in NO soon and purchased a Bushmaster lower (was required Colt or Bushmaster) and built it up. He used an M&A M4 upper also. They came over to the house yesterday and ran it in. No malfunctions what-so-ever!

Good luck. It's a blast.
Top Top