Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2007 5:20:22 PM EDT
just bored and my mind was wandering and it hit me.tired of the grey color on my mags against my black gun.i did my truck bed not to long ago and the stuff has a nice gritty mix with a ruberized background.i taped of the section that resides in the mag well and hit em with a first coat,second coat will go on tomorrow and i will post pics when they're finished.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
make sure you post in the refinishing forum also.

Tag for when the pics show up
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow your brave you think they will still fit
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they still fit in your mag well?

Sorry reading is fundemental
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
i know they will,i taped off the top of the mag where it slides into the magwell.no tolerances were changed above the taped line which the section that rsides in the magwell.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You needed to add weight to your magazine? I am confused.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
no,originally looking for a durable black paint/coating to hide the light grey of my GI mags,it just bugged the hell outta me.yes they will weigh a bit more,but they will also have a non slip grip that is durable.maybe not for everyone,just thought i would share my idea.the mags were free so if it goes south i'm only out 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm I think thats a cool idea!

maybe try it on the entire mag to see if it still fits and drops out fine?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
keep us updated on how resilient the finish is.  Great idea.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmm I think thats a cool idea!

maybe try it on the entire mag to see if it still fits and drops out fine?
i can almost promise you it woldn't work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like it has a shine to it, or is that from the flash?  I would like to see a pic of the mag in your rifle when you are done. I'm curious about how the finish will match up, not that it's a big deal, just curious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
keep us updated on how resilient the finish is.  Great idea.
i coated the bed of my work truck a year ago and takes some haevy abuse,yes sharp or pointed  heavy objects will scar it,but i seriously doubt you will submit your mags to that level of abuse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you remove the base plate?  I can't tell if you did the bottom from the pick.  I can see how a small strip of that product around he base would aid in grabbing a mag  from the pouch....Not sure about the whole mag though...
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
yes you can remove the base,when completely dry you can cut around the plate with a single edge razor,yeah never thought about a small section at the bottom,again,i was trying to cover the crappy light grey so my mags match my black rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
looking forward to seeing the finished product im in the same boat as you and even thought about using bedliner on this kind of stuff
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
camera died,will post more pics later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Great idea but I am thinking I don't like it.  Too shiny or something...Just not right.

Sorry
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
it will fade
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to change the subj but how do you like that BSA?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#20]
IMHO, looks like that material would be a better fit for use on AR grips.  Looks a little odd on a mag, but it's still an interesting concept.  

Can't say I've ever seen this done before.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
damn... you could probably dip that mag in vasoline and still not loose your grip on it
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
What brand of liner? Rattle can?
There are types of rattle can liner that are more dull in finish, but they don't have the deep texture that yours show.
If it weren't so shiny, I would think it great.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There are types of rattle can liner that are more dull in finish, but they don't have the deep texture that yours show.

I've used Duplicolor's spray on bedliner to paint the racks and bumpers on my ATV.  It's really durable and sprays on with a thin coat or you can make it thicker with extra coats.  It dries to a non-glossy, lightly textured finsih.  

I may end up try this out on a couple of older cheap mags I have to see how it works, before trying it on anything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#24]
HA! - great stuff.
see something new every day.
innovation - keep the wheels turning!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've used Duplicolor's spray on bedliner to paint the racks and bumpers on my ATV.  It's really durable and sprays on with a thin coat or you can make it thicker with extra coats.  It dries to a non-glossy, lightly textured finsih.  

I may end up try this out on a couple of older cheap mags I have to see how it works, before trying it on anything else.

I think I would like the Duplicolor better, if, it has a more flat(vs gloss) finish, and if you were able to adjust the coating.

I like this concept, and give pdog credit for trying something new, but IMO it looks like it has to much texture, and it's a litlle to glossy for my taste, but that could be the lighting.

If someone tries duplicolor, give us a report. Hell, I have a few old mags and need a fire station project. If I do, I will give a report.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL, it looks like that AR is very, very constipated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
ive used the duplicolor.  sheen depends on application.  if you hit it light and fast, itll be thin and flat.  if you hit it heavy and slow, itll be shiny and thick.  you could of just used flat black spray paint.  someone was going to paint his rifle or maybe just handguards with that stuff a while back, i think he got talked out of it.

i used the duplicolor on my truck bed because my bedliner flew out on the highway.  i got two gallons and an undercoating gun for $100.  only used 1.25 gal, should of used it all.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top