Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2013 12:26:27 PM EDT
I had some prior experience with Eotechs before and knew exactly what the proportions of the reticle would be before I ordered, and it's right on the line of being too busy like I thought it would be.

When you move it back and forth though, the reticle takes on different looks at different levels of eye relief.

I can't wait to shoot it and see how it will do in the field, but ultimately I may exchange for a regular EXPS-2 with one MOA dot. I really like the idea of having some ranging points on an optic, but it may be too much compromise. Luckily, Brownells offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Anyone else running one of these? Anyone else interested in pics or more information?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still on the fence as to 1x electric sights.  I've been looking at them.  I don't know what the subtensions are for the 2 dot sight; but I'm sure the 2nd dot could be used for shots somewhere over 300 yards. I think the "T-dot" is a gimmick.  I watched the Brownells video and they talk about using it for 7 yards.  I don't think 1.5-2" really matters at 7 yards.  I would think speed and getting rounds on target would be the priority and taking the time focus on and use the T-dot would only slow one down.  If it were me; I would just be looking at the 65 MOA ring and I would probably start firing before that even got fully centered on target.

I would be interested in your thoughts on using the T-dot vs the Ring against a man size torso at 7 yards.  Did it come with any documentation that shows how many MOA are between the two dots in the center of the ring or gives any suggestions for their use?.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm still on the fence as to 1x electric sights.  I've been looking at them.  I don't know what the subtensions are for the 2 dot sight; but I'm sure the 2nd dot could be used for shots somewhere over 300 yards. I think the "T-dot" is a gimmick.  I watched the Brownells video and they talk about using it for 7 yards.  I don't think 1.5-2" really matters at 7 yards.  I would think speed and getting rounds on target would be the priority and taking the time focus on and use the T-dot would only slow one down.  If it were me; I would just be looking at the 65 MOA ring and I would probably start firing before that even got fully centered on target.

I would be interested in your thoughts on using the T-dot vs the Ring against a man size torso at 7 yards.  Did it come with any documentation that shows how many MOA are between the two dots in the center of the ring or gives any suggestions for their use?.

I think the top dot is zeroed at 50 yards, the 2nd dot is for shots 200 yards - 500 yds. The T dot is for 7 yards, and you're right; when running the gun like normal, targeted shots with the T dot isn't practical - it's only when you're shooting for extreme accuracy that it would come into play. I'm going to try it out, and we'll see how useful it really is.

ETA- I'm really interested in the multiple ballistic crossovers. The whole idea is the squeeze more accuracy out of a red dot. For a 55gr FMJ a 50yd zero will have a crossover at approximately 220yds. I'm wondering what range the 7 yard zero would cross over again.... need to get a ballistics program!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I work for Brownells and use the T-Dot on my 3-Gun rifle in Tac Iron. I zero the center dot a bit high at 50yds (XM193) and am on - actually 2" high - at 200. The T-Dot is right on at 7 yds. I use that for those tight targets (SMM3G had some) where a precise head shot is required due to the presence of a no-shoot. True, you can just hold high, but I'd rather aim than guess. the second dot is on at 10 yds and depending upon your ammo, going to be on again at roughly 450 yards - I have trouble seeing targets that far with my old eyes. With my XM193 and 18" barrel, The center dot gives a 6" low hit at 300 (8" drop from 2 to 300). At 350, I split the dots. The 65 minute circle worked great on a 40 yard coyote, just covered the body with the circle and dropped him. The outer ring is just about perfect to establish the lead on a running coyote at 100 yds. Put the circle on his nose, or just below, and your shot should land in the boiler room. It's too much at 200, I had to search around for the lead on that one, it took 6 or 7 shots. I love the sight, and I paid for mine.

The reticle was developed by a Marine who worked here. He was a fighter pilot and also worked on the ground with the snipers (I assume he coordinated with the air cover, but don't know for sure) Anyhow, he'd been on the ground in the recent wars and the T came from his knowledge of the what the guys over there wanted. And he and the sight must be good, he's now at Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top