Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2013 7:36:04 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just finished my AR build about a week ago and I need optics. I am currently using my Troy iron sights and am getting a decent group with them, but I would like something else on top of my gun. I have an 11' LaRue free-float handguard, so space isn't an issue. The biggest factor right now is cost. Eventually I would like an ACOG, but I don't have the $1,300 for a good one right now.

I know that I'm supposed to buy once and cry once when it comes to optics, but I just spent A LOT on the gun build and I refuse to put a $1,000 scope on a credit card. Spending on this scope can not exceed $300. I was looking at some of the Leupold's, but it seems like their 4x12's are out of my budget. Since it's manufactured by Leupold and I already have one on my Marlin hunting rifle, I was thinking a RedField would work until I can get a really good scope.

I have a 3x9 on the Marlin and at 100 yards, it's not enough magnification for me. I was thinking a minimum of 4x12, but not something with so much magnification that I can't see a target at 50 yards.  

Any ideas?

*Edit- I should add that this is my first AR, so I am still very new. I apologize if I am asking questions that have been posted before. I tried to use the search function but most of its features were blocked off for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You will do well with any red field (revolution, not revenge), Nikon, or Leopold in your price range.  Leopold makes some nice low magnification models.  If you want higher magnification, I think the redfield and Nikon models offer more for the price than the Leopold vx-1 series.  A used matte vari x-2 or 3 might be found under 300.  I've used all of them and never been disappointed.

A lot of people like Burris scopes.  There stuf is very highly regarded, however I have never been a fan versus those other options.  I just find them to be a little bigger and the controls are slightly different.  Nothing bad about them though so you might find a Burris you like.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I had my eye on the Redfield Revolution but wasn't sure if it would be the right choice. I'll look a little deeper in to the Leopold scopes but I think I might just go with the Redfield.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Leupold VX-I in 4-12x40 should be under $300 easily.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x at midway usa for $300

Or check out the leupold mark AR mod 1 in whatever size you want.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out the weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x at midway usa for $300

Or check out the leupold mark AR mod 1 in whatever size you want.

This.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I ended up purchasing a Redfield Revolution 4x12 40mm with the accu-range reticle last night.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top