Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 8:20:58 PM EDT
Shooters,

I have been bitten by the M-4 bug, at this time I am getting all my parts together and one of my steps is to paint my rifle. I enjoy having a rifle that is different than any other. One of the best ways to do this is by color and pattern. Since the new Army digital uniforms are coming out. I want to apply that pattern to my M-4.

I am in the process of receiving some moly resin from John Norrell's site. This stand up Man has taken every e-mail I have sent and answered every one of my questions. I appreciate his help very much. If you need to refinish your rifle give his site a look.  

What I plan on doing is buying templates to do the job right.

How to apply Moly Resin

I will apply the Moly Resin in two colors These are some of the replies I have gotten back form John Norrell.

Hello, I am John Boyette I am going to refinish my rifle with your product. I would like to ask for some pictures of the tan color please. I also plan on applying the Norrells Moly Resin to the Aimpoint QRP Flattop Rail Grabber and the Aim Point Spacer for the Rail Grabber. Would your product apply to these optic mounts without damaging the parts? When applying the Norrells Moly Resin tan, how many coats does it take to cover the standard black finish? If you have any helpful techniques please let me know. This will be my first time doing a refinish project like this. Thank you for making such a fine product. John Boyette

John,

I don't offer an pic of the the Tan; however, it is current issue U.S. Military tan # 30118, fed standard 595B.  One coat usually does it.  Moly Resin can be sprayed on just about any surface. Just make sure the part will take a 300 degree temp for curing. Aluminum, steel, etc. is no problem. No special techniques are needed. Just use the basic instructions I provide on my website.

John Norrell

Can I use your Moly Resin with different colors and templates to get the  affect I am looking for. I have read how to apply your product. I would like to ask, would the template come off once all spraying is done? Thank you John Boyette

John,

Templates will likely work as long as you don't cure the finish with a template attached. The heat will melt the adhesive and likely make a mess.  I have not used Lauer's templates so I can't say for sure.

As you can see this company is real easy to work with and I will post my project as soon as I am done. thanks for reading. RED
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you like the Norrells refinshing write up!

Make sure you take before and after pictures! Eventually, I will include more information in my "how to" thread.  Any comments regarding the process that you feel would be of help to people, make sure you send to me and I will include them in the thread.  Credit will obviously be given to you for any pics and comments you may have.

Make sure you check out the 1911 refinishing thread as well.  

1911 refinishing thread

I've also got a shotgun refinsihng thread that I am working on, but I seem to be short on time.  Eventually, there will be guides on auto & pump shotguns, 1911, AR15, FN FAL, Glock and a few others.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey John, you aren't excited about this are ya? h
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top