Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:59:51 PM EDT
I just got done putting 20 rounds through my AR with my newly installed Jewel Trigger.   My problem is that THREE times it failed to cock the hammer, and ONE time it did a 2 round burst.   I'm extremly happy with the way its set up, but I know I have to change something.  I have the 1st stage set up real light, just heavy enough to bring the trigger forward.   I have the 2nd stage set light to, around 2lbs.  The sear engagement is real crisp and and there is almost no overtravel.

Does anyone know a good place to start? I was thinking increasing the overtravel, but I thought I better ask the experienced guys (and gals).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you've been down this road too.   I'll tinker around with it tonight, and test it again tomorrow.   Thanks for such a quick response.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If I turn in the sear engagement screw 1/4 turn (reduce the engagement) the hammer falls before the 2nd stage.  If I screw it out 3/8 of a turn(increase engagement) it starts to get creepy. All the instructions say is set to preferance. My preferance is NOT a creepy trigger.   I'm guessing that you wanted me to increase the engagement, so I just turned it out 1/4 turn.  I guess it will just take some fiddlin to get it perfect.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
With my Jewel I found that it was the overtravel set to close and had a doubling effect which wasn't wanted. have Adjust to your preference and enjoy the best.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Jewell and love it.  The Jewell can be very finely tuned.  I also had this happen to me and I called Jewell on it.

I am betting that you have your second stage just a red-hair too light.  If the second stage is too light, then when the BCG slams closed, the shock will be enough to trip the sear.

Try this -- use your charging handle to slowly operate the action.  Most likely, the sear will hold.  Now, throw in an empty mag, and open the action so that it held open by the bolt catch.  Slap the old bolt catch and let the action slam closed.  Do this several times and see if you can get the Jewell sear to release due to viabration.... etc. etc.

Anyway, you get the idea.  When you do that that Jewell fine tuned, it will be nothing but smiles.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I was thinkin. My finger was bouncing, causing the problems.  If adjusting the sear doesnt solve it, i will mess with the over travel.  Hopefully I'll get time to test it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I did.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
You should be able to adjust 100% of the overtravel out of your Jewell. I did on mine.  The trigger breaks clean and that's it.  There trigger does not move any - at all -after it breaks.

I tuned my Jewell at the range.  I knew that I wanted it light but the tech at Jewell also told me that they can be tuned too light for semi-auto action.  So, I set the first stage to max-light and took all of the overtravel out of it on the bench.  I set the second stage to about 4 lbs. and headed out to the range.

After each shot, I would open the receiver and make another 1/8 turn adjustment on the second stage tension.  I found that I had reached the "too light" mark when the thing emptied the clip in F/A style.    It was kinda fun & funny but I had to do some explaining to the range master.  LOL  Then I turned it back about another 1/16 turn and that is where it is still set.

Beautiful trigger group man.  Good choice and I know you will love it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
First_LSK:

I let her slam about a dozen times and couldnt get it to trip, but I did play with the sear engagement.  I just added a little to the 2nd stage, it seemed to get rid of the creep.   I too love this trigger. Its so easy to adjust and it tightened up my groups, exept for that 2rd burst.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice !!

When you get her all tuned up, give us an update on what it was.  More information is always good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I tested it today.   The first thing that i did was set the sear and the 2nd stage adjustments to where they were originally yesterday and dry fired it several times.   Threw 5rds in the mag, 1st round cycled perfect. Second one the hammer didnt cock... h
Then, only loading 5 in at a time (in case all hell broke loose),  I started to lower the weight back down.   I stopped a little less than an 1/8 of a turn from where it was to begin with, which is still pretty light.  Fired 5 last rounds and no problems.  This gave it a total of 18 rounds straight, without a hick-up, after increasing the 2nd stage pull weight.his
Like to stick around and chat, but I got alot of reloading to do.  

Thanks EVERYBODY for your input.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I put a 30rd clip through it saturday and had no problems.  My brother shot it too and had no problems (so it wasent just me).  I am very happy with where it is set up now.   All that I did was increase the 2nd stage weight just a little bit.   Thanks alot for your help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top