Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 4:48:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 2:14:11 AM EST by mjohn3006]
So a friend at work bought a Bushmaster Carbon 15. After many mags, two trips to the factory bla bla bla the damn thing keeps jamming and failing to extract and doing everything wrong short of blowing up. So he is getting rid of it. Getting a stripped METAL lower. And I am going to put together a rifle for him to his liking...that works!.....with a REAL bolt assembly. (the carbon 15's bolt carrier is really light..and I think its one of the problems)

For this, he is giving me the 3lb Jard trigger that he had installed in the carbon 15. So he gives me the carbon lower and I take the Jard out...well try to anyway. the hex head screw holding in the abidextrous saftey is a .050" hex head. That is crazy small.

So I got to the hardware store and pick a hex set up with a .050 and I get it off.

Take the Jard out. Put the original trigger back in. Then I take out one of my Eagle Arms lowers that has an RRA NM Two Stage in it, take the two stage out, stick it in my AR-10 easy as cake. It took 5 minutes. Now my AR-10 has a nice trigger.

Then I try and stick the Jard into the Eagle Arms lower. WTF!!! I install and un-install 5 times and figure this out. The trigger works perfectly.....if the saftey is not installed. With the saftey installed and everything back together if I pull the trigger really hard...and hold it...it clicks in a second or two....maybe...sometimes it needs help.

Looks like I need to file a hair off of the saftey bar so the back of the trigger can go up far enough to let the hammer fly.

The Jard trigger piece is about .5 CM longer than the RRA......so it hits the saftey bar to soon to allow the hammer to fall. I say again WTF?

Anyone else have this kind of difficulty?

Without the saftey bar it works beautifully. and about 6-10 strokes with a light file should make it work correctly. but damn.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:08:33 PM EST
I have had that happen with a JP trigger, it was the JP trigger bar that came with the set, With the JP trigger they want you to cut the trigger bar so you can get the max amount of engaugement of the sear with the safety on. This was a single stage trigger and has the sear engaugement at the front of the trigger bar like the std trigger/fire group.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:17:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 6:17:34 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:11:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 2:14:37 AM EST by mjohn3006]

Originally Posted By Aimless:
If I were a paranoid type person I might point out the illegality of building a rifle for someone else for pay without the requisite FFL type stuff and whether it was advisable to accidentally type that I was building a rifle for someone else for pay when i was actually just helping a buddy build his own rifle.

There..I fixed my original post for ya.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:24:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:27:21 PM EST
I tried a Jard trigger/hammer in an Eagle lower and it wore me out. Don't know what the problem was -it tested perfect after assembly and then it caused doubles every 4-5 rounds at the range. After 5 or 6 tries and a lot of consulting, I returned it.

I agree, the hex heads are scarey small, but they worked. It seems like a quality item, so I don't want to blame it for the problems. Could be a spec problem with the pin location in the lower. I was also nervous about the reliability of the safety. Probably OK for the range, but I'm not sure about in the field.

If I was a benchrest guy, I would have spent more time getting it to work. Could be very nice.

I guess a benchrest type trigger is not for me, so I got a McCormack and it is swell. Truly drop in. About 3-4 lb. pull. Truly nice and idiot proof.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:49:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 3:56:01 PM EST by Ndenway]
I've installed three of these triggers and havn't had any problems with them but the problem your experiencing must be a common one as its covered in there install instructions at jardinc.com, as for reliablity I've put around 5k rds through my 15 without any problems with the 1.5lb set and around 700rds in my 10 with the 3lb adj.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:59:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 4:00:24 PM EST by Halfcocked]
That's not that unusual. A number of after market triggers can require a little fitting. Really no big deal.

Just remember cut twice measure once.

If it's still to short cut a little more off...or something like that.

Edited to add you should take a little off the trigger not the selector.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:49:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Halfcocked:
That's not that unusual. A number of after market triggers can require a little fitting. Really no big deal.

Just remember cut twice measure once.

If it's still to short cut a little more off...or something like that.

Edited to add you should take a little off the trigger not the selector.

"Cut twice, measure once."

Like we say in th ER, "eh, it will grow back.....right?"

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:23:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 6:24:05 PM EST by Ichabod]
Love mine.Once I got the instuctions and actually read them,,,,Just lookin at the pitrs dont help none.The biggest pain for my was keeping the hammer sping in place without a slave pin.Oh yea,Also forgot to put locktite on the sear screw.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:23:34 AM EST
Okay..thanks. You all are right, it makes more sence to shave a little off the back of the trigger...not the saftey bar. I let you know.
Top Top