Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 12:03:10 PM EDT
I will be purchasing a kit soon (then mounting it on a RRA stripped lower), had my sights set on one from J&T, but then someone recommended that I take a look at Model 1 kits as well. I've heard very good things about both companies, but is one better then the other? Also I noticed that Model1 doesn't require you go through an FFL, is this the same for J&T?

Thanks,

Christian
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:07:33 PM EDT
The kits aren't considered a firearm, so no FFL needs to be involved, the stripped lower is the one with the serial number and has to go through a FFL dealer. I bought my kit from M&A Parts and was quite pleased with the kit and service, from what I hear the product and service from all three of those is very similar. [url]http://www.m-aparts.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:01:57 PM EDT
I have a Model-1 kit. It is very nice and they were very friendly on the phone. Parts arrived better than I expected. Assemble was easy besides a minor Detent Pin issue with a RockRiver Lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:48:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Timanator: Assemble was easy besides a minor Detent Pin issue with a RockRiver Lower.
View Quote
would that be for the pivot pin? I just got a RRA lower and the small parts came from model-1. everything has cometogether nice with the exception of the pivot pin detent pin not going far enough in to insert the pivot pin.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:11:47 PM EDT
Sometimes the holes the detent pins are in will have a little burr, or something that prevents them from going in all the way, some recommend taking a drill bit of the correct diameter, [i]holding the bit in your hand,[/i] run it down to check for obstacles, and twisting it by hand only to clean up the holes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 12:42:51 PM EDT by J-A-R]
Just received 2 RRA stripped lowers this week myself, and was having the same problem with the pivot pin detent on both. One lower parts kit was from RRA and the other from J&T. First make sure the spring and detent hole is cleaned out, so the spring and detent can seat all the way, I use a small drill bit for this and just turn it by hand. What the real problem for me was pushing the punch through the assembly tool to far into the detent housing so I was not able to turn the tool to hold the spring and detent in place and insert the pivot pin. Just backed off pressure on the punch while turning the assembly tool. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 2:34:43 PM EDT by HGlide]
Thank you for the replies guys. Do any of you know who makes the Model 1 kits?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:34:09 PM EDT
The detent I had problems with was the Selector detent. Hole size was drilled too small for the regular Detent. So I bought an Extra Pivot detent for it, and it works perfect.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:25:37 PM EDT
I've gotta say the J&T kit looked a lot better than the Model 1 kit. Now I've only dealt with one of each, but the finish and quality of the parts sure seemed better from J&T. And, I think the customer service is better with J&T. If I could do it all over again, I would go with a lower parts kit from Armalite, RRA or Eagle Arms stripped lower and probably a Bushmaster upper. Of course this would increase the cost a bit, but the quality would be better too. For now I'm happy with my J&T kit rifle. The next one will be as descirbed above though. Scott
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:35:55 PM EDT
Well guys I ordered a Model1 lightweight CAR-15 kit last night, I hope I'm satisfied with it. Its my first AR so I'm pretty excited about getting it and with the positive replies about both Model1 and J&T I think I should be. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives in a few days. As for the lower I think I'll be going with a stripped one from either RRA or Eagle. I'm going to a gun show in Philly this weekend and hope to pick one up while I'm there. Thanks Again, Christian
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:43:09 PM EDT
HGlide: Good luck on your build, the parts selection always is the hardest thing, lots of choices.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:31:09 AM EDT
I hope your "Model 1" isn't a piece of shit, like mine was. Had to send it back to be straightened, still ain't right. J&T is better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:47:15 AM EDT
HGlide, to answer your question, I am pretty sure I read here a few months ago someone claimed that Model1 get their parts from DPMS. Team members who can search back more than 30 days please confirm that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:08:49 AM EDT
Jeeze I wish I had know this before I ordered. I made a phone call as soon as I saw your reply to see if I could cancel my order, but it had already been shipped. The good thing is that they were nice on the phone and said that if I wasn't satisfied with it that I could ship it back within 30 days. As long as it shoots well I don't really care if its from DPMS (would have liked a company with a better rep though). If it turns out to be junk I'm just going to send it back and chawk it up to a learning experience.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 11:27:36 AM EDT by ar15zams]
I built a lightweight CAR kit from Model1 with the shorty stock, and love it. You'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:40:52 PM EDT
I used one of the M4 kits from model 1, no problems here, used a Bushmaster lower, all parts fit fine. Richard
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:13:36 PM EDT
I bought a lower parts kit from Model 1 and some of the parts were out of spec. Required some sanding and filing to get them to fit. So with my new build I bought a lower kit from RRA and every piece fit perfectly, I did not even have to sand anything.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:46:09 PM EDT
MODEL 1 SALES USES A1 FRONT SIGHTS, THE LOWER PARTS ARE FAIRLY "ROUGH" COMPARED TO J&T, THE CAR STOCKS ARE VERY CHEAPLY MADE AND THEY USE ROLL PINS TO MOUNT THE FRONT SLING SWIVEL, UNLESS YOU ASK FOR A RIVET. THE RIVETS THEY USE ARE VERY CHEAP LOOKING. I HAVE AN AR BUILT FROM ONE OF EACH COMPANY'S PART KITS AND FOR ONLY ABOUT $50 MORE I WOULD RECOMMEND J&T HANDS DOWN.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:14:04 AM EDT
I dunno, I built a Model 1 kit and was very satisfied with it. The fit and finish where great. As a matter of fact, It was a little too snug on my pre-ban Oly lower but then again, it loosened up with shooting. On the bright side, It does not have ANY slop between the upper and lower like I see on Colts and the occasional Bushie. Try it and I think you'll like it. ka
Top Top