Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2003 8:02:52 PM EDT
I am looking to build my first Ar-15, a 16" Post-Ban flat-top.  I'm looking to use a RRA stripped lower from Sable Co. , and a upper kit from either M&A or J&T.  In your experiences which is the better kit?  I like that the J&T uses FN and Colt parts, but it is marginally more expensive (negligible).  Also any tips for a first time build would be greatly appreciated!  This site has been a wonderful wealth of info!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
This question gets asked a couple of times per week.  Look through the threads and you'll find several related threads.  People seem happy with both companies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, Can I ask a silly Question here? Whats wrong with just buying your upper or upper parts from Rock River, Just like your lower.

1.) You will have a gun that is all one brand.

2.) You can bet that your upper from Rocky will match your Rocky lower both in fit and finish. I know I bought my Rocky lower and upper seperatly and when put together they are tight as hell.

3.) You can still deal with a known commodity in Sable Co, who will be more than happy to supply your Rock River upper needs.

4.) Rockys from Sable Co are Cheaper in price than buying J&T's who charge you extra for the bolt. M&A's are probably made in the very same place as Rock River parts, but why not have a rifle from one company if the price is all same same?

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
don't know about m&a but jt distributing has high quality parts. I built a m4 kit from them and have been happy about the quality,finish and accuracy from their upper and lower part kit,IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't say anything about J&T, because I haven't bought from them--I will say they are expensive in comparison to M&A. My M&A kit was top-notch. I could not find any physical flaws, and the rifle function perfectly from round 1. Add to this the cheaper price. M&A shipping was $19.00 to Arizona, just to give you a rough estimate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to everyone who replied!  I hadn't seen any RRA uppers, but I'll have to keep looking!  I did contact RRA though and have a catalog coming from them.  Thanks again for your help!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the Equipment Exchange on this site. You will great prices on RRA complete uppers, lowers and other RRA parts from several dealers. ADCO, GPSS and legal transfers are some of the dealers with great prices on RRA products.  Amos
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I built 3 J&T and I really like their product. Two ASA lowers and 1 RRA lower. I have found that the lower parts set results in a trigger that is better than BM and I have not yet found a Colt Match HBAR trigger or Colt Competition Match HBAR trigger that was as good. What I say is not heracy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My J&T Carbine kit was great.  So far, I have about 1000 rnds through it with not a single hiccup.  Good accuracy, and perfect functioning, what more could you want?

Well, fit/finish of the upper was excellent, as good as any I have seen.  The lower parts were of excellent quality, too.  No complaints whatsoever.

I ordered on a Wednesday night, which means they got my order when they came in on Thursday morning.  It was shipped out the same day, and since we don't get UPS on Saturdays around here, it arrived on Monday.  It was well packaged, and every thing was perfect.

I was surprised to find the upper half completely assembled, ready to mount and shoot.  I ordered a kit, was expecting to have to mount the barrel, etc.  All I did was run a patch through the barrel, and lube the bolt carrier assembly and upper.

I just could not ask for any more.  Completely satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a kit from JT last year and didn't assemble the lower until last week (been shooting the upper on a buddy's lower).  While I was assembling, shot the front detent pin across the room and lost it (looked for about 2 hours).  Called them this morning and they are sending my another one out free...this is after a year.  I didn't have an invoice # or anything else.  Just guessed when it was ordered and gave my name, and she said "We'll send you one this afternoon".  You will find that a lot of AR's are very similiar in quality, but you've really got to look for customer service.  I had an ASA before and it was crap; no amount of tinkering would make it work, and they had NO customer service.  Got the JT kit and slapped it right on.  The finish matches a bushy lower perfectly, it's a tack driver, and the only malfunctions I had were due to a bad mag (worked flawlessly with 5 of 6 mags, and all malfunctions were on the same mag) I have read some on here that have had problems with lower internals on the M&A, but have seen a lot that have been happy with them too.  My point is, just how much are you saving?, and is it worth that amount to risk being dissastified and trying to get something fixed?  I know J&T is known for the customer friendly attitude, and they've proven it to me.  Guess where my next kit is coming from?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Like WM69 I took my time assembling my kit
but now that I am done I am very pleased with my J&T kit; don't have any experience with M&A.

P.S edited because I kan't zpell

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14893[/img]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top