Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 12:07:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2004 11:03:55 AM EDT by tblythe]
Hey, I'm new to the site and I'm considering building my first AR-15.  I'm famaliar with firearms, but nothing as complex as the AR-15.  Most firearms I've dealt with are SKS, AK-47, and your basic bolt-action hunting rifles, along with a few break-down style shotguns (not slide action or autoloaders, used them but never taken apart and put back together).  Anyway, I think I'm going to go down to my local gun dealer to order the Eagle Arms stripped lower (from quantico) or RRA stripped lower (from Eagle Fire Arms).  Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is, I think I'm going to get the complete parts kit from J&T for a 16" CAR style.  I am just wondering if any of you have experience with the J&T kits and either of those recievers.  I've noticed some people have had problems with generic parts and the Eagle Arms lower.  Would I better off with the RRA since I'm getting "generic" parts?  They are the same price right now, so that doesn't matter, I'm just needing to know which lower will give me fewer problems with the J&T kits.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:33:10 PM EDT
I've never personally built on a RRA lower, but I have heard people coplaining about the fire groups and a hole not being drilled out far enough, but that goes with custom fitting to get the best possible clerances, some people just don't liked to be bugged with those type of things. I have built a few on Bushmaster lowers and never had a problem with the lower fitting, although, I did have to plane some other uppers down to get them to fir.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:36:53 PM EDT
I just finished building off my RRA an hour ago.

The RRA looks nicer than a bushmaster lower, however they function the same obviously.

Its a VERY tight fit between my uppper, but this shouldnt be a problem after some range time to loosen them up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:05:22 PM EDT
I put a M&A Parts A2 kit on a RRA lower recently, everything fit the way it's supposed to, I was very happy with the project.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:29:20 PM EDT
So it looks like RRA?  Humm, are most people happy with the quality of the J&T kits?  I'm getting ready to goto college, and I don't want to buy something if it's only gonna be good for 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:31:57 PM EDT
I used a J&T 16" CAR kit to build up on an Eagle Arms lower.  Upper and lower mate together perfectly and the color difference is negligible (upper and lower have a slightly different "sheen" to them), but nothing that bothers me.  The J&T lower parts kit that came with the 16" CAR kit fit the Eagle Arms lower perfectly, and everything went together without a hitch!!!

FWIW, my dad was looking to get an AR and one of the local shops had a J&T 24" SS bull barrel upper built on top of a RRA lower.  The fit wasn't too good...the takedown pin would slide in and out slightly without putting pressure on it, and when it was removed, the upper had a good bit of side to side play.  He wound up buying a like new Bushmaster for $100 less than what the shop that had the above rifle wanted for the RRA/J&T rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:03:35 PM EDT
I have a J&T 24" on top of a home built RRA.  Works great.

Sorry for the big pic.

[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/juanpiedra/bull2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:47:17 PM EDT
The fit wasn't too good...the takedown pin would slide in and out slightly without putting pressure on it
View Quote

Sounds like whoever built it didn't install the detent pins right, or he didn't put them in at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:06:34 PM EDT
My JT build on an RRA lower is pretty darn good. Fit's tight, but not impossible. The "sheens" on the finishes vary, but they're both black, and not noticeable when CLPed.
Top Top