Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 5:31:55 AM EDT
Has any one dealt with them? How are they? Who makes thier kits and barrels? I was thinking of building a new Varmint AR using thier 24" Fluted & Ported Bull barrel upper. Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
i haven't dealt with them, but i would if i started another project.  i called them to ask about their COLT fire control parts.  they said its made by the same people that make the ones for COLT. I think all their uppers are made by FN if i'm not mistaken.

they seem to have a good reputation here.  i'm sure someone will chime in w/ their experience.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've dealt with them.  Bought a 20" Hbar freefloated flattop kit and mounted it to an Eagle lower.  Perfect fit and color match.  Shoots .35-.45 groups all day long, (Black Hills 50gr V-Max).  Good folks to deal with, and great products - which they stand behind 100%.

No doubt a 24" bull from J&T would be a serious 1-hole machine.  If you plan on carrying your AR for long distances, (coyotes?), you might want to consider their 16" SUM barrel to dave a bit of weight.  In either case I'd strongly recommend a freefloat handguard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the barrels are made by Wilson (not Wilson Combat).
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i'm having an ongoing battle with them over a double charge they did on my credit card, but everyone else here seems to have had good luck with them
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about the trouble Absolut

I have loved my JT kit gun and would gladly buy from them again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I had originally posted: "Yes, their barrels are by Wilson."  I had a brain-glitch here, you'll have to excuse me, too many AR's in the safe.  DPMS barrels are Wilson, J&T are E.R.Shaw barrels.

The sale was smooth, delivery quick, and the appearance of parts was top notch.  Have had EXCELLENT performance.  Good accuracy, and NOT ONE SINGLE FTF of any sort in over 1000 rnds through the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
in over 1000 rnds through the rifle.
View Quote

that's all??? [lol]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have built two kits (a 16" and a 20") using J&T stuff.  The parts were all clean and new.  Of the ARs I have owned, including those that were "mil-spec,"  the one from J&T was only one that NEVER jammed.  I thought I had a problem with a part (it was actually a problem with the reciever) and they shipped me a new part for free that same day.

I thought the barrels were made by Shaw.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought the barrels were made by Shaw.
View Quote

From their web site:

"Who makes your barrels?
[red]We use Wilson Arms for our standard barrels.[/red]"

"Who makes the parts in your kits?
[red]We use Shaw barrels[/red] (the same company that makes barrels for Colt), we also use military contract parts, as well as Fabrique Nationale."

[url]http://www.jtdistributing.com/faq.shtml[/url]

Looks like we have a contradiction.... hmmm... hehe

PS: Just because one company makes parts for Colt, does not mean they use the same plans and quality materials... but you never know...
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished putting one of their M4 kits together a few minutes ago. I matched it up with a DoubleStar lower (same thing ) from CenterfireSystems. I got to talk to the guy that assembles the kits and he said it is all one big building. The reduced spring kit from Brownells just came so I could finish it up. I havent put a round through it yet, but it sure looks good and the people were great to deal with. I got good advice from this board..Thanx

Now if that Eotech gets here tomorrow like it should.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Duh, my mistake, I will edit my post above.  DPMS barrels are Wilson, J&T are Shaw.  I have uppers from both companies.

Well, Energizer, yes, only 1000 rnds so far, I haven't had it that long.  Not even the proverbial "break-in" malfunctions.  Ran right from the beginning.

From here on out, I am going to just lubricate occasionally, not clean, and see how long it goes without malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Duh, my mistake, I will edit my post above.  DPMS barrels are Wilson, [red]J&T are Shaw[/red].  I have uppers from both companies.
View Quote

But J&T's FAQ contradicts themselves....
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
So, perhaps they have two suppliers... both Wilson and Shaw are good barrels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Great company.
Excelent customer service.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top