Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 3:47:14 PM EST
Are they worth it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:59:50 PM EST
IMO, no. The hammer spring maybe, but it can be approximated with the mods from the 15 Minute trigger job. The trigger spring has caused problems for me at times... i.e. failure to reset.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:12:59 PM EST
Got the spring kit, and love it! It made a world of difference in the quality of the trigger pull, they did the work of making sure the springs are the right tension to work properly, so it's a drop in with no adjustments needed. If I ever want to go back to the standard springs, I can reinstall them in 5 minutes.

Brownells has a small parts shipping option, it only costs around $2 to get them shipped from Brownells.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7582&title=AR-15+REDUCED+POWER+SPRING+KIT
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:20:38 PM EST
I've got the whole JP trigger group and love it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:09:15 AM EST
Since there hasn't been alot of input on this I'll add to it tomorrow when I get home from shooting. I just installed my kit and I'll be at the Lexington OK shoot tomorrow morning giving it a try.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:12:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 6:14:56 PM EST by MP906]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:33:03 PM EST
Best 15 bucks and 10 minutes you can spend on your trigger. Maybe one day I'll see it fit to plop down 2 bills on a JP module, but for now my trigger is pretty dang good. I'd recommend them to anyone, and I also purchased mine from brownells.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:10:54 PM EST
When I installed the spring kit I was a bit apprehensive about how it might work with the military ammo, I have fired several hundred rounds of IMI M193 through it since then, the rifle has worked flawlessly, and the fired cases show a good strong impact by the firing pin.

If I was in the military or an active LEO, I wouldn't put in a reduced power spring kit in a rifle that I carried on duty, but I'm a former LEO and the rifle is for fun, a good trigger pull is important to me, so the spring kit is definitely staying!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:53:04 PM EST
+1
The reduced power spring kit was never made for duty rifles. In fact, JP has special springs for their normal triggers specifically designed for AR-10's and duty weapons that are stronger than their regular ones.

Ask me tomorrow how the springs work. That's when I should receive the package from Brownells containing them, along with a few other "goodies".
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:31:34 PM EST
Ok, my review of the JP trigger springs. Best $10 you can spend on your AR. Period. Honestly, for the cost of a front sight post and a few roll pins, you can noticibly improve your standard pull by about 1.5-2 lbs. (this was tested dry firing, not at the range). It took me about half an hour to put them in (partly because I was explaining what I was doing to a friend) but the install is easier than with regular springs because of the lower tension. I also installed an SPR grip and a gapper which so far feel great. I'm thinking of injecting some glue from a hot glue gun around the grip to make it a bit more comfortable, but that will be decided after I try shooting with it. Finally I installed a Wolff spring which seems to be about twice as tight as the standard ones. More to come when I get to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:35:30 PM EST
I use the JP trigger spring. Can't use the hammer spring since my AR is a .22
and the hammer won't set off a round. I would highly reccomend the spring kit though.
YMMV

wolf
Top Top