Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2009 3:30:46 PM EDT
Does anyone know if the VTAC handguards fit on a DI 45?

I'm looking at the proprietary barrel nut and receiver extension that is the VTAC, and am wondering if the stand-off from the receiver is going to be too long.

The DI 45 upper that I own obviously has a gas block that sits very far back, and the gas tube is extremely short.  I'm wondering if te VTAC is going to interfere.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My gas block fits under the JP Vtac  just fine.
Yours may fit or it may not depending on what kind of gas block you have.
The Vtac has 1.75 ID  and from front of your reciever to the
the front of the hanguard mount is 2.25 inches if you need to know.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My gas block fits under the JP Vtac  just fine.
Yours may fit or it may not depending on what kind of gas block you have.
The Vtac has 1.75 ID  and from front of your reciever to the
the front of the hanguard mount is 2.25 inches if you need to know.

You were one of the guys I was hoping would respond, I've seen your rifles, thanks.

The 2.25" is what I really needed to know.  I'll check my Ron Williams upper when I get home in the morning to see how close everything is.

Another question for you.  Are those Spike's fake cans on your rifles, or the real thing.  We can't have sound supressor in Illinois, so I was looking at Spike's fake cans.  Only problem, they don't list their SD with a 5/8-24 thread pitch.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have real cans it sucks that you cant have them in your state
Do a search on GB as there is many fake cans for sale.
Search silencer and suppressor
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I would guess that the barrel nut sticks out too far and interferes with the gas block.

Jon
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would guess that the barrel nut sticks out too far and interferes with the gas block.

Jon

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... I have the V Tac handguard on my .223 and really like it but will not beable to run on on my .45 DI pistol, the gas block is just way too close to the upper and the barrel nut and adapter is way to long. Maybe if I took the V Tac barrel nut assembly and turned both sides down to make it narrower. I decided to just go with the YHM diamond series which looks like it should be a drop in part for this setup.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You're right, it won't work.

I've measured and measured, and there's no way.

Too bad I have one coming to me in the mail from Midway.  I guess I'll just hafta return it.

I'm going with the Midwest Industries 10" (extended mid-length) free float, but even that will need to be slightly modified at the forward support ring for what I want to do with the barrel.  It does have plenty of room out back for the huge-assed gas block that comes on the DI 45 though.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top