Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:12:23 PM EDT
I would like to improve my standard Single Stage trigger in my Stag lower...

I seen the JP speed hammer in the midway catalog, wondered if anyone here has installed one. IS it a nice addition suitable for a "duty" style rifle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a JP low mass/high speed hammer and it broke its J-pin within 200 shots resulting in the hammer pin walking out of the receiver. Replaced with another - same thing happened again.

I'd pass on it and get a RRA match trigger
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a few years ago, that made return trips to both Brownells and JP.  It was the worst piece of maching that I had ever seen; you could still see the tool marks on the sear engagement surface.  It felt like someone had poured sand into the action.  I can only hope they have improved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The JP trigger is going to make a much more noticable difference than the hammer.  I installed the trigger first and was happy with it.  When I tried another gun with both the hammer and trigger, it felt better to me.  I bought a hammer as well.  I haven't had any problems with it, but I honestly don't know that it makes all that much difference.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The JP trigger is going to make a much more noticable difference than the hammer.

+1

I have the combo as well 3k rounds no breakage so far.

make sure you have a protected carrier assy (m16 or simular) or you will bend the firing pin retainer in the carrier.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's see, I have three or four JP 4# fire control groups, installed by JP themselves.  

All have been 100% reliable over 10,000+ rounds, since 2003.

I shot one during Tactical Response's carbine class- 1800+ rounds in 2 days.

I guess YMMV.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the complete JP fire control system in 2 rifles.  IMHO it's the finest single stage trigger available.  To take full advantage of the precise relationship between the hammer and trigger, I recommend that you use the slightly oversize trigger and hammer pins available from JP and others.  These remove the slop in the components and make the sear engagement / release more precise and repeatable from shot to shot.  This is particularily important if your receiver holes are worn at all.

The light weight hammer and springs have never misfired with my CCI primed handloads.  I don't use mil ammo or imported shit in my rifles.

The JP system has lots of adjustability but does requre some basic skills to install.  It is not a drop-in.  If you are looking for a drop-in system then you might want to consider  a modular fire control system also available from JP or Chip McCormick.  I have had "0" problems with either installation in my rifles after 1000's of rounds.  

I find it hard to believe the comments above about poor workmanship and broken parts.  Every JP component I have ever purchased has been superb and without workmanship or material faults.  Call the folks at JP, they are great people and take a genuine interest in your issues.  Don't whine on this forum if you have a problem,  call Johnat JP, and get things resolved.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have JP triger sets and hammers.  Work great in centerfire.  The high speed hammer doens't fire my rimfire upper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I find it hard to believe the comments above about poor workmanship and broken parts.

BELIEVE IT!  

Every JP component I have ever purchased has been superb and without workmanship or material faults.  Call the folks at JP, they are great people and take a genuine interest in your issues.

I called Brownells, which is who I originally purchased the hammer from, and they sent me out another hammer which was no better, if not worse than the first.  I then contacted JP directly, and they sent out a replacement hammer that was "hand selected".  Guess what, it was the worst of the bunch, and by the way, they charged me shipping.  All hammers were returned to their place of purchase.

Up until that point, I had used several of the JP triggers / speed hammers, and had been very happy with their products.  Those hammers were some SERIOUSLY messed up parts.  JP received a phone call, and both Brownells and JP received written correspondence complaining about their QC, or lack thereof.

Don't whine on this forum if you have a problem,  call them and get things resolved ASAP.

This problem occurred several years ago, and was never resolved to my satisfaction.  As far as I'm concerned, JP's customer service was no better than those hacked up hammers.  I posted a review of the part on this board. You're a team member, do a search.

YMMV of course, and I'm glad to hear that they may have improved their product.  I've purchased several items from them since, and have not experienced similiar problems, but the original post concerned the JP hammer, and I have given my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had one for a couple of months and approx 1500 rounds. I couldn't be happier. Excellent product.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]

make sure you have a protected carrier assy (m16 or simular) or you will bend the firing pin retainer in the carrier.

is this correct?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#12]
JP Parts are great.  I too have a hard time believing anything less than perfection from them.  Further, IF there was something wrong, I know John would be THE first person to rectify the situation.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry you guys had problems with the JP hammer.  I've two complete assemblies and have not had any issues with either after many k's.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top