Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/18/2005 12:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2005 12:00:46 PM EDT by feral]
I did a search on the JP Enterprises stainless tactical carrier but came up dry. Anybody have any experience with this carrier? Worth the (not inconsiderable) bucks? Is it significantly heavier than a mil-spec carrier? The eventual host for this carrier would be a lightweight 16" carbine set up as a HD/SHTF gun.

The specific carrier I'm referncing is the "JPBC-2 full mass stainless tactical carrier" as seen on their website. The way the site is set up I can't link directly to the page but the carrier is this one:

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 12:09:17 PM EDT
Check the archives, Zak Smith has several and had some good things to say about them. I plan on purchasing several for my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 12:28:13 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip, rpmwfo, I had forgotten to search the archive. I went over and searched...didn't come up with anything specific to this particular carrier, but I'm sure that I didn't go through all the possible material there. If you just search on "carrier" back to 2002, you get 13 pages of search results! Lot of good reading there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 12:41:13 PM EDT
i just picked up a young bolt carrier from denny and its pretty nice.

got it along with his ss recon barrel and normally i wouldnt splurge to get a fancy bolt carrier but i thought what the heck since denny had a really good price on them i picked one up.

very nice looking, havent gotten the rifle together yet so i dont know how it works.

check out denny's recon barrel threads here and here
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 12:48:06 PM EDT
I don't think that this particular carrier is available. It's a new item, and both JP and Brownell's show it on back order. I have one on back order from Brownell's, and I'm having a new CMT BCG NP3 coated. I'm going to compare the two and see which one suits my needs better.

Look for the loser in the EE.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 1:22:28 PM EDT
eklikwhoa: I almost bought Denny's recon barrel (as it's certainly sweet) but decided to get a carbon fiber barrel instead. May yet get his recon barrel for a future build. I can't find the Young's carrier on his site...did I overlook it, or is that something you worked out with him as a "package" when you got the barrel? I'd certainly consider a Young's as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Rabbit9: The JP site doesn't appear to list the carriers as backordered, but I haven't yet worked up the balls to fully "complete" the transaction. Maybe that shows up at the very end. I was surprised to see that Brownell's (which does indeed list them as backordered, as you said), actually lists the carrier for $20 cheaper than JP. I'm not accustomed to seeing Brownell's list much of anything cheaper than the mfg. Has Brownell's given you any time frame for delivery?
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 1:52:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:07:29 PM EDT
I run three of those JP stainless carriers and they are smooth. I like them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:10:00 PM EDT
how do you like the carbon bbl?

also thought about that but decided on the recon. the carrier i got with the bbl which is the way he offered it, i phoned in my order so im not sure if its on the site or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:44:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

Don't know yet....I was just notified yesterday that the long awaited barrel has shipped. I'll post a range report when I have the build together and have some rounds through it. That may take a while, unfortunately, with my current work schedule.

I think I'm going to order the JP carrier on mongo001's "thumbs up." If I don't like it, there' always the EE. If I get antsy before it arrives, I have a RRA BCG sitting in my parts drawer which can find a temporary home in this build.

Thanks for all the input, guys.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By feral:

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

Don't know yet....I was just notified yesterday that the long awaited barrel has shipped. I'll post a range report when I have the build together and have some rounds through it. That may take a while, unfortunately, with my current work schedule.

I think I'm going to order the JP carrier on mongo001's "thumbs up." If I don't like it, there' always the EE. If I get antsy before it arrives, I have a RRA BCG sitting in my parts drawer which can find a temporary home in this build.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 3:14:40 PM EDT
That's cool. Suspect I'll like it though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT

Rabbit9: The JP site doesn't appear to list the carriers as backordered, but I haven't yet worked up the balls to fully "complete" the transaction. Maybe that shows up at the very end. I was surprised to see that Brownell's (which does indeed list them as backordered, as you said), actually lists the carrier for $20 cheaper than JP. I'm not accustomed to seeing Brownell's list much of anything cheaper than the mfg. Has Brownell's given you any time frame for delivery?

I called JP to place the order and was told that they are back ordered. I was also told that they are having a price increase. Brownell's has the part listed at the old price, so I went ahead and back ordered one to save the $20.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:56:21 PM EDT
Here's some pics of what I'm currently working with:

I received the new JP stainless carier, and the CMT BCG that I sent to ROBAR to be NP3 coated.

The NP3'd BCG assembly.

And the BCG as it will run (at least initially) in my target rifle.
JP Stainless Steel carrier / Robar NP3 bolt

I'm planning to pick up another CMT bolt to complete the set, and that should give me just enough incentive to start building another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:32:09 PM EDT
That's some nice work, Rabbit9.

I've got my JP carrier at this point too, and am quite favorably impressed.

Do you mind if I ask how much that NP3 job cost you and what the turnaround time was?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:43:40 PM EDT

That's some nice work, Rabbit9.

I've got my JP carrier at this point too, and am quite favorably impressed.

Do you mind if I ask how much that NP3 job cost you and what the turnaround time was?

Thanks Feral! The Robar NP3 coating had a 6 week turn around and at $120, was kind of pricey. I had to give it a try. I had one of the older SW5's, that came with the NP3 coated bolt, and it was unbelievably easy to clean; spray it with gun scrubber, and it was SPOTLESS. We'll have to see if it works the same way on an AR BCG.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:23 PM EDT
$120 does seem a bit pricey, but when you consider what the JP carrier alones costs, the $120 doesn't look too bad.

Definitely post after you've tried her out. I'd like to hear about that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:14:35 PM EDT
I've run 3 or 4 of these bolt carriers for a couple years, along with one of the old low-mass aluminum ones.

The SS BCs are fine. High quality, smooth, reliable.

I believe they are just a little lighter than a standard carrier, but I haven't weighed them.

There is a new low-mass SS carrier which is supposed to be superior to the old low-mass aluminum ones wrt reliability.

If I had a perfectly good bolt carrier from a good mfgr, would I "upgrade" to the JP? No, I'd spend the money on ammo...

-z
Top Top