Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
I've been looking for a Bushmaster  Patrolmans carbine but all I've found locally was
the same M4 A3 configuration with the permantly attached Izzy and short 14.5 barrel.  
I'd rather have the 16 inch barrel and birdcage but I can buy one of these for about
$78.00 less than the Patrolmans plus not have to wait.

What does everyone think of the Izzy muzzle brake? Is it effective? I really don't want
to lose the barrel length since I think 223 needs all the length it can get but that ugly
Izzy bothers me more.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What does everyone think of the Izzy muzzle brake? Is it effective? I really don't want
to lose the barrel length since I think 223 needs all the length it can get but that ugly
Izzy bothers me more.  

Are you asking if the Izzy brake is effective as a brake or if the rifle is effective (accuracy wise) even  with the izzy brake?

If its the first, then I would say yes. It controls muzzle rise and flip which gives you easier second shot placement. BUT a lot of shooters from this board complain that it is too LOUD!

If you are asking if the rifle is effective even with the izzy brake... I would say that basically,  it performs just like any other rifle.

IMO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Izzy brake on a 14.5 carbine. It does control flip pretty well, but I disagree about it being loud. It's not bad at all, for a brake.

Compared to some brakes, notably the Mini-Y, it's a kitten.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I was asking if the Izzy is an effective muzzle brake. I'm not too concerned if it is loud and I
doubt if it effects accuracy that much> I'm really asking if it  does its job. As I said I'm concerned about losing the barrel length and I would hate to lose the 16 inch barrel and get an ineffective muzzle brake in the bargain.

I really think the 223 performs best when at 20 inch barrel lengths. Going down to 16 inch
is bad enough but I think  lot of the  ineffectiveness cited in the M4s performance in the
military is due to the 14.5 inch barrel.  I just don't want to give up both.  I'm a big Bushie
fan but I'm not sure why Bushmaster pushes the Izzy so much-may its because it does a
good job?

Thanks for your replys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
bushmaster has an izzy flash hider and an izzy muzzle brake.
the flash hider sucks in all aspects! doesnt hide flash and is very loud
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was asking if the Izzy is an effective muzzle brake. I'm not too concerned if it is loud and I
doubt if it effects accuracy that much> I'm really asking if it  does its job.
Thanks for your replys.

Well there you have it then! Swingset and I give it a thumbs up! Yes, it is an effective muzzle brake.

[ETA. The noise does not bother me that much too (whether i'm the shooter behind it or a spectator beside it). But others on this board find it too loud.]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
aimsurplus has patrolmans in stock for a great price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been looking for a Bushmaster  Patrolmans carbine but all I've found locally was
the same M4 A3 configuration with the permantly attached Izzy and short 14.5 barrel.  
I'd rather have the 16 inch barrel and birdcage but I can buy one of these for about

Izzy bothers me more.  

You should wait and get what you really want. You'll be happier in the end.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Izzy bothers me more.  

You should wait and get what you really want. You'll be happier in the end.

+1

look up gds_ent , gds_scott he has lots of bushmaster barrels for sale in the ee.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
bm m4 bbl w/ 1x7 twist 14.5 from gds

heres a list of bbls. they are selling in the ee

dude you are a team member so your search is pretty much unlimited. use it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top