Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2003 9:00:59 AM EDT
I took my 20" V-match to the range last night with an assortment of ammo.
No matter which magazine I tried, the Wolf just would not feed or extract. I could fire single shots only. I would not trust it with my life at all.
Good thing I only bought 20 rounds.
Just to add, that results are not typical. I have seen other rifles eat this stuff up without a hiccup. Not so for me.

Best result I obtained was with Winchester 50 gr Balistic Silver tip.

At 100 yds, 5 shots were touching each other...all dead center in the 10 ring.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats weired, I assume you have the hard chromed barrel & chamber?
I ran 1060rd in a week when I first got my Bushy A2 shorty, thousand rounds was US GI ammo, 60rds of Russian ammo, just to see if my Bushy liked it or not, it worked great.

TG

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
After seeing a member with a Bushy 20" have several FTExtract and having to use a GI cleaning rod to bang the casings out, My mind was pretty much made up on their .223.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thats weired, I assume you have the hard chromed barrel & chamber?
I ran 1060rd in a week when I first got my Bushy A2 shorty, thousand rounds was US GI ammo, 60rds of Russian ammo, just to see if my Bushy liked it or not, it worked great.

TG

View Quote

YUP. I never thought it would be as bad as it was. My SKS eats WOLF all day long, and not one failure.
To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't touch the Wolf stuff (in my ARs), but not because of the FTE problems some people report.  I just like to stick with M193 spec ammo.  That said, a buddy ONLY shoots Wolf in his AR and has never to my knowledge had a problem.  When I had a Mini-14, it would eat Wolf or anything else all day.  My SKS loves Wolf and that about all I shoot in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I will only use Wolf or any other steel cased ammo in my AK`s period. Try using Winchester Q3131A or PMP. Remember you get what you pay for. I used to buy some of that old GI 45ACP, "Cause it was cheap", I didn`t know how corrosive it was. On top of that I didn`t it was steel cased. Shot off the remaining stuff and said no more. Brass all the way Chrome lined or not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
For fun shooting, I still have just over 1500 rds of SA.
I use Port 7.62 x 51 for my FAL. Though, I have had excellent results with Radway Green.

My AR is becoming my precision rifle. I'll be chasing coyotes this winter with it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took my 20" V-match to the range last night with an assortment of ammo.
No matter which magazine I tried, the Wolf just would not feed or extract. I could fire single shots only. I would not trust it with my life at all.
Good thing I only bought 20 rounds.
Just to add, that results are not typical. I have seen other rifles eat this stuff up without a hiccup. Not so for me.

Best result I obtained was with Winchester 50 gr Balistic Silver tip.

At 100 yds, 5 shots were touching each other...all dead center in the 10 ring.
View Quote

I think I know the cause of your problem. Your rifle ( I believe ) has a .223 chamber for more accuratcy.I beleieve thats what the V match and DCM's have. Not the NATO chamber of 5.56 . That would cause it to be alittle more finicky on ammo. Just a guess. WD
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a "No Wolf" policy on my AR15, too.  The first day I took my new Bushy/RRA carbine out, I warmed up with about 500 rounds of M193, then decided to try out the Wolf ammo I'd bought.  The ninth round out of the mag would not come out.  It also jammed the bolt shut.  So there I was stomping on the charging handle of my brand new toy.  I was not happy.

FWIW, I shot the rest of the Wolf I bought and had no difficulties.  I thing running it through a hot barrel either melted the case lacquer or sealant.  I'm not going to buy anymore of it, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My J&T kit gun gobbles it right up.

No problems yet
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My Colt HBAR 1\9 loves wolf. Good groups. I also use 3131A and it's ok but the wolf is more accurate go figure
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I know the cause of your problem. Your rifle ( I believe ) has a .223 chamber for more accuratcy.I beleieve thats what the V match and DCM's have. Not the NATO chamber of 5.56 . That would cause it to be alittle more finicky on ammo. Just a guess. WD
View Quote

I do believe that the bbl has 5.56 stamped in it. Good guess, though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Cheep ammo is well, cheep ammo. Get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've fired well over 1000rds of Wolf through my rifle including other ammo. Never had a single problem whatsoever. Its a RRA M4.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I use mainly US GI ammo in my AR, also used Wolf, without having a problem.
I wonder if this is  people geting ahold of old production of Wolf ammo? the newer Wolf ammo, has been corrected, just a thought.

TG
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolf in my AK, you bet.

In my AR, no way in hell.

I bought 1500 rounds of Wolf and for the price I was getting on it I felt perfectly OK with dumping mag after mag into the hill sides. Problem became apparent after I heated the barrel and left a round "cooking" in the chamber.  As far as I can tell the heat, it was damn hot, melted the lacquer on the casing and then after cooling adhered the casing to the chamber walls.  Next time I fired, the casing was left stuck in the chamber and my extractor ripped a chunk out of the rim of the steel case.  Took a cleaning rod and some tapping to get the case out.

After repeating the above for educational purposes I've decided to leave the rest of the Wolf 223 to you boys that like it. I also didn't like cleaning the lacquer out of the chamber.

This problem may have been limited to that one AR, which I no longer have.  I'm not sure who the maker was, it may have had  223 chamber Vs. 5.56. The Chamber may have been rough as well since it was a "no name" barrel that was probably put together as a kit.

Whether it was the ammo, the rifle, or a combination of the two I'm just sticking to bread and butter rounds from now with my battle rifles.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]
For me it wasn't a matter of getting the chamber hot and cooking the laquer. In an hour and a half, I put a total of 30 rounds thru my AR. Like I said I tried an assortment of ammo to see which grouped the best. I spent a good portion cleaning the bbl as well.

Just suprised me that the Wolf would not feed at all, and when it did, it wasn't what I expected.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Greetings Gentlemen! I am a long time reader and a first time poster. I have seen folks shooting wolf ammo at the range I shoot at and the only complaint I have heard was the accuracy wasn't anything to get excited about. I personally am to anal about my rifles to shoot any Wolf through them after reading the complaints from some of the  folks here at AR15.com. Garbage in = garbage out as far as ammo is concerned. Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The steel case is hard on the extractor, it's very dirty ammo, and the lacquer fouls the internals.  If you want cheap amo buy Winchester .223 at Wal-Mart.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
A good field rifle should eat anything.The problem with the older wolf was mentioned,The water proofing wich is not used and no more laquer at the case neck.The last 7000 rounds through my bushie has been wolf and I think its more accurate than PMC brass case.During ww2 .45 ammo was steel cased and the wolf case isnt hardened steel its equal in stregnth to military brass.If a rifle wont eat it somethings wrong with the rifle and ive never encountered laquer sticking in the chamber.Check out the thread on this site that shows a Kaboom using ingman ss109.The steel case can wear the extractor quicker than brass and thats why I use les baer chromed extractors.It is a liitle dirtier but not as much as south african surplus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have at last count fired in excess of 5,000 rounds of Wolf through my AR15s without the slightest problem. I even shot a four day rifle class using Wolf, no problem. I shot the high score in the class with Wolf and won the man on man shoot off using Wolf. I have 13 ARs and have fired Wolf pretty extensively through all but one of them without a problem. The one rifle that has never seen a round of Wolf is my Bushmaster V-Match. It is a precision rifle and I saw no reason to shoot anything but carefully handcrafted handloads and two boxes of Hornady TAP through it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
How NEW is the rifle? I had the same type of problem with a new BM shorty-AK, only in reverse; it would function perfectly with S&B steel-cased ammo (and shot 3/4-inch groups, too!), but would NOT function at all with Q3131A. After about 1000rds, though, it smoothed out, and finally got with the program.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about "Wolf" .223 , but I can tell you I just purchased a BUSHMASTER-DCM 20" and was at the range doing "the-break-in", and had 2 of my rounds seperate at the base, and a LOT of smoke came rearward and through the magazine-Type-Of-Ammo= 3-D Coyotee .223 !!!
The rifle is cleaned "VERY, VERY WELL after each 20 rounds, as I had a "nasty experiance" with this type of rifle 36 years ago!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't use Wolf either. I also had a bad experience with casing stuck in chamber. I only use Q3131A.

If Wolf works for you, then by all means use it if you want.

More for you that way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wolf in my AK, you bet.

In my AR, no way in hell.
Sly
View Quote

I have to agree. I fire the russian stuff all day long in my AKM, but no way I'll feed it to my two ARs. I do find, though, that the Brown Bear or Silver Bear works better in the AK than the Wolf and is just as cheap(more accurate, cleaner). just my take.

Actually I've gotten in a trend of using Black Hills and Hornady in my ARs, I have tons of the Lake City surplus XM193 stuff which is fine for silhouette shooting, but for X-ring, the military surplus loads are not as consistent, fatter shot groups, IMHO.

_DR
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I've used Wolf in my 5.56 NATO barrel which eats practically anything I feed it.  One batch worked with few FTE's.  The next batch would FTE about every 3rd round.  I returned the remaining rounds and got a refund.  I tried a few rounds through my Armalite match barrel and it FTE'ed almost every round.
Because of the FTE's I won't ever trust it.
I'll stick with brass.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting, I've put roughly 6 thousand rounds of wolf through both my bushmaster and my non chromed J&T upper with I think like one or two failures to feed.  I dumped the orlite mags and have not had a failure since.  Must either be old lots of ammo, or defective rifles.  Personally I won't bother shooting anything else for just general plinking.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#29]
The Virgin rounds through my RRA AR- 15 were wolf. They worked fine but I just prefer to use the higher quality brass ammo. Weather or not its better or is anyones oppinion. Its just not a gamble I feel is nessary to save a couple bucks a box.

JIM
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top