Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/22/2004 4:58:30 AM EST
It sounds as if (since he says pics will be posted in 3 days) that this is a newly arriving shipment. I like to keep plenty of this USGI 124 gr 9mm on hand because it's hotter than most all of the other 124 gr FMJ on the market. Therefore it gives a good approximation to the ballistics of the Speer 124 gr +P and Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. This makes it a good choice for more realistic training since it has the same type of recoil and shoots to a similar POI as the high quality ammo many love for defensive and LE use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:44:17 AM EST
Looks like ammoman has 500rd minimum; I just want to try out a box or two to see if I like it. Suggestions on where else to purchase?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:57:37 AM EST
Oh, you'll like it. It's good ammo. But if you want smaller amounts you might give this site a try, they usually have it:

www.natchezss.com

This is the XM193 of 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:09:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 2:15:52 PM EST by kensteele]

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Oh, you'll like it. It's good ammo. But if you want smaller amounts you might give this site a try, they usually have it:

www.natchezss.com

This is the XM193 of 9mm.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:45:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:50:31 PM EST
Wow, nearly 4 million rounds arrived!!!!???

I guess I'll go ahead and get 500 rounds from you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:10:10 PM EST

Anyone know if this stuff will work in an Italian Beretta? I am not looking forward to getting a slide in the face...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:13:14 PM EST
why, does your slide not stay on?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:18:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 6:20:09 PM EST by Adam_White]

Originally Posted By Bigfeet:
Anyone know if this stuff will work in an Italian Beretta? I am not looking forward to getting a slide in the face...

Bigfeet

Seeing as how this is USGI ammo and the USGI Pistol IS an "Italian Beretta" I am pretty sure it will work just fine.

You aren't parroting what you read on a gun board or heard at a gun show, are you?

If you have a USGI M9 without the mods, you MAY have reason to be concerned - if you shoot A LOT of rounds. Is this the case?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:47:37 PM EST
I ordered 400 rounds of the NATO .45 ammo from Natchez. It was 2002 production and great ammo. I decided to try the 9mm ammo. When I received the order it was 1996 production. Fired an email off to them explaining I was looking for newer ammo. They couldn't care less. Too much of a hassle to send it back. I won't be ordering from them again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:57:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Adam_White:

Seeing as how this is USGI ammo and the USGI Pistol IS an "Italian Beretta" I am pretty sure it will work just fine.

You aren't parroting what you read on a gun board or heard at a gun show, are you?

If you have a USGI M9 without the mods, you MAY have reason to be concerned - if you shoot A LOT of rounds. Is this the case?

Yes, exactly. From what I know, the problems with the early Berettas were due to a lack of a pin. That issues was fixed with the 92FS model, which I have. I just wanted to play it safe prior to purchase (and facial surgery).

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:44 PM EST

Yes, exactly. From what I know, the problems with the early Berettas were due to a lack of a pin. That issues was fixed with the 92FS model, which I have. I just wanted to play it safe prior to purchase (and facial surgery).

Bigfeet

Take off your left grip, do you notice that huge pin head on the upper right - going up into the slide? Remove your slide and note the groove cut into it that allows that ridiculous large pin head to ride into it.

Do you think there is ANY way - barring failure of the main rail on which the slide moves - that the slide could continue back to your head? That pin and that groove are the mods made to prevent slide separation should repeated shock on crappy metal at the front of the slide cause it to crack.

Besides, the 92FS has never had problems - while virtually identical to the M9 - Beretta clearly used cheaper materials in the M9s they produced for the US Army. For them to admit this would invite massive legal issues, though - but it is quite obvious. Someone at Beretta should hang for that, but the 92FS need not be cast in that same light - it is a damn fine, well-built pistol - despite its obnoxiously huge grip profile and slide-mounted safety/decocker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:27:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
It sounds as if (since he says pics will be posted in 3 days) that this is a newly arriving shipment. I like to keep plenty of this USGI 124 gr 9mm on hand because it's hotter than most all of the other 124 gr FMJ on the market. Therefore it gives a good approximation to the ballistics of the Speer 124 gr +P and Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. This makes it a good choice for more realistic training since it has the same type of recoil and shoots to a similar POI as the high quality ammo many love for defensive and LE use.

Why not just buy the Speer white box 124gr HP +P . I've been buying it locally for $13 per 50 .
I prefer practicing with what intend to use .

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:29:31 PM EST
Adam,

True statements! I am no fan of the Pizza Pistol though I am an Italophile.

The Early M9's had some issues that were overblown thanks to the use of some rather spicy ammo and LOTS of use. Was active during the time and privy to some sideline worries.

That problem JUST ain't there anymore.

Other issues exist, but that is another thread and bag of small worms that can be worked around.

Great trigger, Plenty accurate, and when prepped and fussed over properly the thing is reliable with any ammo.

Did I mention I despise the things?

S-28

P.S.
The pin was added to stop the problems with the early M9's and even after Mettalurgy changes and better QA/QC was enforced, the pin remains though seemingly unnecessary.
Just one night of bad behavior and your Reputation is stained forever it seems.
I still hate the things though!

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:48:21 PM EST
That is why we cannot get any USGI 9mm overseas, we don't even have a basic load for our M-9's in Iraq and I had to beg borrow and steal some good stuff just to get 1 box for my medics to have more than 20 rounds on hand.....man do I hate the system sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:51:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By S-28:
Adam,

True statements! I am no fan of the Pizza Pistol though I am an Italophile.

The Early M9's had some issues that were overblown thanks to the use of some rather spicy ammo and LOTS of use. Was active during the time and privy to some sideline worries.

That problem JUST ain't there anymore.

Other issues exist, but that is another thread and bag of small worms that can be worked around.

Great trigger, Plenty accurate, and when prepped and fussed over properly the thing is reliable with any ammo.

Did I mention I despise the things?

S-28

P.S.
The pin was added to stop the problems with the early M9's and even after Mettalurgy changes and better QA/QC was enforced, the pin remains though seemingly unnecessary.
Just one night of bad behavior and your Reputation is stained forever it seems.
I still hate the things though!

Ok, S-28, you opened yourself up to this, what 9mm do you recommend??

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:07 AM EST

Bigfeet

I know you aren't asking me, but take a look at the CZ P-01. It will be my next 9mm - and IMHO would be an ideal miltary issue sidearm (19911 purists take note, I am speaking in context of current realities of what features the "powers that be" want).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:19:12 AM EST
I never cared much for the Bretta, but I can manipulate the controls without changing my grip, which most folks cant do... still, I wouldnt buy one and much prefer my XD.

That said, back to the topic at hand. I just ordered 2k, without the crate or cans, and I'll post something when I get it and shoot some. From the pictures, its 2003 production, and not older stuff. I plan on saving some for a rainy day, shooting a little, and saving the rest for when I take a pistol class.

Does Ammoman usually send you the UPS tracking number after the order ships? (I've never ordered from him before)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:16:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By WesDesRat:

Does Ammoman usually send you the UPS tracking number after the order ships? (I've never ordered from him before)

Yes, I just got one this morning. (See my order post above)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:45:23 PM EST

Bigfeet

I know you aren't asking me, but take a look at the CZ P-01. It will be my next 9mm - and IMHO would be an ideal miltary issue sidearm (19911 purists take note, I am speaking in context of current realities of what features the "powers that be" want).

Adam,
I will always take suggestions when passed onto me! I had heard that the CZ is an awesome pistol, and has undergone some riggerous testing by the UN. I guess they have adopted it as their official sidearm.

As for the .45 vs 9mm debate, I love them both...

Thanks for the input. BTW, Bass Pro Shop here in Orlando has the Winchester 9mm on sale. Just a FYI.

Bigfeet
Top Top