Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 11:28:31 AM EST
I've seen alot of posts where guys had issues assembling their first lower and very few where they didn't. So here's one!

The J&T kit arrived today at noon. I started my assembly at 2:00 PM and finished at
4:00 PM. Biggest aid was the old AR15.com assembly instructions. No special tools just a small hammer, punches, flat nose screwdriver, and needle nose. Since, I read all the posts I could find and had a good idea where the pitfalls were with others, I gave special attention to these areas. With that, the entire assembly went without a hitch.

My thanks to all you AR nuts out there espicially those of you brave enough to admit you had a problem!

Here are few things I did thanks to your input.

My 11 year old son was my vice. While he held the lower, I did the operations. One of you guys mentioned using your son.

I held the take down pivot pin detent on spring with needle nose then pressed the the take down pin on the detent pin till flat, inserted into the hole, then turned the groove to catch. No launched spring or pivot pin indent even though J&T was nice enough to include one extra set of each.

I flexed the bolt catch roll pin on the start end with the needle nose prior to doing anything else. I covered the receiver with duct tape, the all American tool, started the roll pin, then added the parts and drove it home. Once again my son was the vice and the receiver was strategically placed for support on the block of wood, verticle. Not a scratch.

I gave special attention to the roll pin for the trigger guard, flexing and then supporting on the block while driving home. Didn't want a broken receiver even though I liked one your guys comments about always having a winter trigger.

The trigger assembly though looking the most complicated in the instructions went like a breeze and due to the quality of the machining on the DPMS lower, I was able to push the pins in by hand then tap flush with a punch.

What seemed like the easiest was actually the hardest which was the handguard. It was a really tight fit but then that's what I want.

I didn't use instructions on the buffer and buttstock since it was same as my M16 in service, but did get a little carried away and put the take down pin on the wrong side and had to back track. Over confidence is not good.

I had printed out the AR15.com parts list and pulled the parts out of the zip lock bag as needed since they were quite recognizable. Once again thanks to AR15.com's pictures and especially the text discription below the pics. I did all the function checks as per the instructions. Oiled her all down, slapped on the upper, and cycled a few rounds by hand to make sure she fed correctly.

Midnight and we will ses how she shoots!

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:18:58 PM EST
Great job! [bounce] ...ofcourse, now that you've done it, you've infected yourself with ARgottahavemoreitis... there is no cure, only treatment... The only treatment I've found is more black rifles, accessories, ammo, toys... It's an ugly addiction, but easily managed with proper 'treatment'... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:01:32 PM EST
Congrats So whats left, checking the head spacing before you fire your first round?? Eddie
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:39:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By TomJefferson: Midnight and we will see how she shoots!
View Quote
..."Tennessee Rifle Range???"... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:24:35 PM EST
[beer] so, now that you've mastered the kit, the next one can be scratch built out of parts. right [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:09:16 PM EST
I built my first lower about three months ago. I used a CMT stripped lower from Numrich gunworks (very nice forged receiver) and a J&T CAR-16 kit. My build went together fairly well with only a couple of glitches. I did succeed in launching a detent pin and spring (talk about high velocity!) and I have a nice designer scratch close to the bolt catch from when the punch slipped off the roll pin. (I somehow missed the tip about the duct tape.) The J&T provided Colt trigger group fit the CMT receiver like a glove and the J&T upper assembly fit perfectly. A few weeks ago I acquired a Bushmaster stripped lower at a gun show. Now I am shopping around for a 16-inch BM upper assembly to mate it to. Panzer Out
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:12:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 12:53:55 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Notack, Well of course, a complete kit from scratch will be next. Fired the rifle last night in the cow field with a nice hill back drop. In my area typically, everyone shoots there guns at midnight but this year, no noise, well until me. Then for a half an hour you could here guns going off in the distance. Anyway, she performed wonderfully, felt tight, excellent trigger pull, and low recoil all compared to my Oly. Can't wait to take her to the range and reallly see what it will do. Postino, I know your post was a joke and was well taken with a smile but then a frown for I'm sorry you have to go a range to fire a weapon. I forget sometimes areas aren't as free as here.
Top Top