Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 5:02:52 PM EDT
Ran into an interesting tidbit in this article about the Galil rifle <linked>.

Fighting infantry units therefore were reissued M16s (new or upgraded to improve reliability and reduce weight).

What upgrades did the Isreali's do?

Link to article.
www.answers.com/topic/imi-galil
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
linky no worky
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
linky no worky

works fine for me
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that the Galil is an extremely heavy weapon, so maybe thats one of the reasons they switched back to the M16. Maybe it also has reliability issues as well...?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I respect a rifle that has a built-in bottle opener.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Kinda hard to improve anything that isnt broke, the AR is number one period.

TG
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The main reason, other than weight, the Galil was/is not used as widely as the M16 is cost. They can use our support money to buy M16 for a lot less than they can produce Galils.

As far as mods go, they have a bunch of different configurations depending on what parts are available. Mostly adding optics, grips, lights, bipods, sights, etc.

As for reliability they stopped chopping them at the front sight base and used proper gas port location.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
"I respect a rifle that has a built-in bottle opener."

my polytech m14 has a bottle opener... most people call it the gas port screw, but it does the job nicely.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that the "upgrades" are just rebuilding old worn out rifles.  Most of the IDF weapons appear to be mix-master carbines.  They also seem fond of velcro, duct tape, and para-cord.  

They didn't exactly clean house in Lebanon this summer. I wonder how their level of weapons training compares with US forces?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]

and even the unusual feature of an integrated bottle-opener to avoid damage to the rifle magazines through a previously common misuse of weapons to open beverage bottles by using the magazine orifice to twist the caps off.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Isreal isnt going to pass up free equipo from the US.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top