Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2011 8:21:59 PM EDT
Personally, I'm really cheap. I have no desire to spend 50 bucks on lead weights for the AR15. And I'm too lazy to go buy lead.

So how is one to make their AR15 heavier? Simple.

Pennies!

Yep, if you have a bunch of old corroded pennies laying around, roughly 5 dollars worth of pennies will get you 3 pounds of added weight!

The buttstock is easy. Just dump them in.

NEW AND REVISED COUNTERWEIGHTS MADE WITH SCRAP SHEET METAL.

I was able to obtain some scrap pure lead sheet metal from my dad, who
got it from God knows where for bullet making. Each strip was a half
inch long and was about a millimeter wide. I got 2 pounds of it. I then
did the following.

I pent the pieces to fit the handguard. I also ran some uncut pieces
through the bottom. Basically trial and error until the hand guard fit
with 2 pounds of lead sitting in the bottom.

Here is the finished product from the bottom.

Unfortunately dad forgot to pack the 3 pounds of "reject" hand cast #4
buck, so the rifle is now front heavy. Once I replace the copper in the
stock with lead, it will be almost full weight.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Call me silly here, but what is the purpose of just adding weight? Recoil management?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that handguard free floated?  It doesn't look like it... looks like a normal handguard.  If that is the case you've added an extra pound of weight hanging on your barrel, this does not sound good to me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
3 lbs of lead tape will cost you less than 10 dollars, go on, and stay on without retarded jingling.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Call me silly here, but what is the purpose of just adding weight? Recoil management?

In general, the heavier a rifle is, the easier it is to aim.

There is a subtle difference between accuracy and easier aimability (is that a word?)

The common consensus used to be that heavier barrels were more accurate than lighter barrels. When placing both types of barrels in a bench rest, this is not true. However, the heavier rifle is easier to shoot accurately than a lighter rifle, so this is where the line of thinking comes from.

Counterweighting the rifle is just the next logical step from heavy profile barrels. Many complain about balance. A heavy barrel should have a weight in the stock to make it balanced. Some prefer front heavy rifles or rear heavy rifles. I've had the pennies in the stock for a long time, and I didn't like the rear heavy balance. So I came up with this scheme to add weight to the front end to balance things out.

Most people interested in this mod will buy this from RRA or a similar company. From there they will trim the weights until they get it to wherever they like it.

Since I refuse to pay $60 bucks for that, I went this route. As soon as I go back home, I intend to grab some of my dad's reject bullets to fill the stock with. I may try using wheel weights for the handguard. But for now this works, and it's a lot heavier than before.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is that handguard free floated?  It doesn't look like it... looks like a normal handguard.  If that is the case you've added an extra pound of weight hanging on your barrel, this does not sound good to me.

Yes, it is free floated.

ETA: There is a free float tube under the normal handguard.

Also, while adding weight to the rifle is intended for NRA high power/CMP service rifle matches, I figured bench rest shooters, long range shooters and perhaps 3-gunners who want really low recoil might be interested. With a 15 pound AR15, the sights barely leave the target with heavy 75 grain ammo.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Notice the SS barrel behind the FSB?

Strange piggy bank

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
should use quarters. if you need some change for a soda pop, you can always use some of your "weights".
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

3 lbs of lead tape will cost you less than 10 dollars, go on, and stay on without retarded jingling.

Interesting, what is lead tape used for, and where would I find it? That would definitely be a better mod than this. Plus I could add another two pounds or so and get it up to "normal".

Although, the forearm doesn't jiggle. Only the stock. And if I added the rejected 9mm bullets to the stock, it would still jiggle.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

should use quarters. if you need some change for a soda pop, you can always use some of your "weights".

I always keep two dollars worth of quarters at the top for soda at the range. I need to replenish it.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes, it is.  Stainless steel barrel too.  You see, CMP requires A2 barrel length and handguards.  There is a tube supporting the handguards hidden under there.  The front triangle support is welded to the tube.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If you were handy with plaster of paris and lead, you could cast custom fitting lead weights.  My front is 3-3/4 pound.  I've yet to cast a rear one, lead shot works fine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Add weight? I spent 2 years trying to put together the lightest build possible.

I do most of my shooting offhand and find the lighter the weapon, the more fun I can have shooting.

I have also carried hbars and ammo for miles and will not go back to hbar, let alone add another several pounds to the weapon.

This is the dumbest idea I've seen in a while.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I just add a singularity to the buttstock.  It adds all the weight I can handle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]

I tried pennies, but wanted more weight so spending the money just seemed to be the easiest solution.  My highpower AR is like 15 lbs.  My scores in offhand shooting at 200 yds was much improved once I got it properly weighted.  

First match I shot was using a gov profile and no weights.  Feels like a toy compared to the service rifle setup.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just add a singularity to the buttstock.  It adds all the weight I can handle.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I do most of my shooting offhand and find the lighter the weapon, the more fun I can have shooting.

I have also carried hbars and ammo for miles and will not go back to hbar, let alone add another several pounds to the weapon.

The furthest I will be carrying this particular rifle is from my trunk to the firing line, generally about 20 feet.

The most rounds I ever put in the magazine is 8.

With "classical" offhand technique, a really heavy rifle hardly moves.

I think I'm going to look for this mythical lead tape someone recommended for the hand guards. Then I'll repost whatever I come up with.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're not shooting High Power either.  The OP is.  And in the High Power world, heavy rifles rule.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there a wt. limit to the service high power matches? You'd think a 20lb rifle would hardly be impacted at all from breathing or muscle tremor.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is there a wt. limit to the service high power matches? You'd think a 20lb rifle would hardly be impacted at all from breathing or muscle tremor.

No. But there is a limit as to where you can fit lead. Basically, under the handguard and in the stock are the only options. Hence, why the aftermarket counter weights are three pounds a piece.

I'm kind of wimpy, so I don't want it quite as heavy as most do. But I figured it could stand to be heavier than it was. I'm guessing that I just added a grand total of 3 pounds.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#20]
For lead tape, try going to a golf course pro shop. The tape is used to counterbalance the club head. Dicks sporting goods or any other store like that should carry it as well. Aviation supply stores usually have it too, used to counterbalance flight controls.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For lead tape, try going to a golf course pro shop. The tape is used to counterbalance the club head. Dicks sporting goods or any other store like that should carry it as well. Aviation supply stores usually have it too, used to counterbalance flight controls.

I went to Sports Authority, Walmart, Bass proshop, Big 5, and some arts and crafts stores. None of them had it except bass pro shop, and they wanted 3 dollars for roughly 20 grams of lead tape.

ETA: I live in prime golf country. I think I'll try to find a good golf shop later this week. I can probably get 3 pounds of shot from my dad, who likely has it on hand for bullet making.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been half tempted to weight the back end of my Mk12, just so the beast doesn't move at the range. I don't think I'll be using pennies, but the lead shot idea is a pretty good one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to Sports Authority, Walmart, Bass proshop, Big 5, and some arts and crafts stores. None of them had it except bass pro shop, and they wanted 3 dollars for roughly 20 grams of lead tape.

ETA: I live in prime golf country. I think I'll try to find a good golf shop later this week. I can probably get 3 pounds of shot from my dad, who likely has it on hand for bullet making.

If you didn't find it you were in the wrong section.  Try tennis goods.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you didn't find it you were in the wrong section.  Try tennis goods.  

I did. I even asked for help in both the Tennis and Golf sections of each store I went to. No dice.

I did find lead shot. But decided I didn't need 25 lbs worth.

I came up with a list of local professional golf stores that I can try tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Try a motorcycle dealership, service department.  Ask them if you can have their old tape-on wheel weights.  They'll know what you're talking about.  They're small lead rectangles that would work like a charm.  Most every time they balance a tire, they'll have to remove the old ones and reposition (and stick) new ones on the customer's wheels.  You might get lucky and talk them out of a few strips of the new ones.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not just go to your local tire shop and get som lead tape from tem, even has adhesive on it to keep it in place.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Another option is to grind a mold into a piece of wood, then melt the items you want to use a weight and dump it into the mold... after it cools, grind it to the right size and cram it in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another option is to grind a mold into a piece of wood, then melt the items you want to use a weight and dump it into the mold... after it cools, grind it to the right size and cram it in.

Far easier to run a strip of electrical tape over the vent holes and seal a tube of the diameter of the FF tube over the cutouts.  Coat everything with wax, then fill with mixed plaster.  When that sets overnight, use a dowel to push this positive out of the handguard.  Wax it up real good for the next step.

Now take that positive and cast it in plaster to make the negative mold.  This time, use fine sand in the plaster for greater heat resistance.  Bake this mold in an oven at 200 F overnight.  Then using a plaster cylinder to hold the shape of the FF tube, cast that in lead.  You need the lead to be just hotter than melting point and the pour must be quick and certain, the lead will want to harden rapidly on the cool plaster.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Lead Tape

By my calculations, I'd need roughly 23 yards of that tape to add 1 pound.

I think I may try and find some lead solder wire instead. Or stick lead shot in ziplock bags and stuff it under the handguard. Or I might break down and buy a real weight.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Just talked to dad. Apparently he has 10 pounds of pure lead scrap sheet metal that should work perfectly under the handguard, and is willing to give me reject #4 buck for the stock.

I shall redo this thread at such a time when I get the lead and put it together.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
My search for lead tape was fruitless. The stuff in golf shops was foil-thin, only a few ounces.

I also looked for adhesive lead tape to balance mag wheels. None of the local tire or auto parts stores had any.

Finally, success:

Fishing shops carry lead wire: http://www.bulletweights.com/Freshwater/1lbCoil.aspx. I wrapped it around my free float tube then put the handguards on over it.

These decoy straps look like just the ticket: http://www.bulletweights.com/Hunting/DecoyStraps.aspx
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#33]
bump with update.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top