Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2004 9:53:35 PM EDT
My dot isn't perfectly round.  When I focus on the target,  it rounds out.  I'm happy with the sight and prefer it over the Eotech.  I was just expecting a little bit more for the money spent and reputation it has on this board.    So is this normal, or did I get an odball?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I's gots me a round dot  on mine.

are you using both eyes open?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you wear glasses to correct your vision?  Most problems people seem to have stem from their less than perfect eyesight.   Second, if the intensity of the dot is too high it will cause precieved distortion.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to aimpoints website I was there last week and they have a Q & A link. On there they address this problem dont really recall what they said but check it out. I have no problem with mine
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No glasses, both eyes open.  I should clarify when I look at the dot it's obvious.  When I look at the target it rounds out some, but not completely.

Don't get me wrong, I aint bithcin, I'm just askin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go to aimpoints website I was there last week and they have a Q & A link. On there they address this problem dont really recall what they said but check it out. I have no problem with mine

FROM AIMPOINT Q&A:

The dot in my Aimpoint sight doesn't look round. Is it defective?

If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:

Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)

While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.

If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.

If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

You nailed it, thanks!

Ok, for the billionth time today, I'm going to get my rifle out and look through my new Aimpoint one more time.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Just did the test and my dot is OK.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top