Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2006 8:34:58 AM EDT
Hey guys. I carried out a little experiment on my rifle to see the difference (if any) in point of impact between resting off the barrel and of the magazine. I shot six, three shot groups of xm193 at 100yds. Three resting off the barrel and three more resting off the mag. To my amazement the difference was enough to miss my target entirely. Off the barrel the shots were clustered up about four inches higher than the groups taken off the magazine. I expected some difference but not that much. So than it got me thinking if maybe something was wrong with my gun like a loose barrel. I mean if all AR15’s and M16 had that much variation, (if they are not free floated) why would they ever have become as popular as they are? So what is the deviation in your non free floated rifle? Is something wrong with my gun? Will free floating completely eliminate this issue? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
if you have a light contour barrel and your putting downward pressure on the barrel while firing for grups I can easy see the 4" delta.

If your groups are tight, but higher I would say your barrel nut is tight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The groups are the same size they have always been. The barrel is an A2 profile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The groups are the same size they have always been. The barrel is an A2 profile.

A2 profile is thin under handguards. Your barrel is tight because your groups are good.

It all has to due with the pressure point.  This is why we tell people to free float when using a bipod.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top