Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 1:14:24 PM EDT
I bought a stripped lower from a buddy of mine a few months back.  He had planned on building a rifle with but never did.  It is a virgin lower and the first part has not been installed yet.  I don't know what was written on the 4473 when he picked it up but I could probably find out.  Would it matter either way?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have been 4473'd as "Other."  So long as it was not made into a rifle (or transferred as rifle), it may be made into a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It is good for a pistol build as long as it was never built as a rifle. It should have been transferred as "other" but even if it wasn't,  you are OK for the pistol build. That's a recording issue for the FFL.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should have been 4473'd as "Other."  So long as it was not made into a rifle (or transferred as rifle), it may be made into a pistol.
View Quote

Everybody "says" that, but it just ain't so.

Doesn't matter ultimately what it was transferred as,  if indeed it was a virgin lower. Neither mistaken or even correct notation by FFL changes the legal classification of a firearm, or what it can legally be configured as.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Out of curiosity, I may check and see what it was listed as.   The FFL that the lower was originally  shipped to is a good friend of mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  Out of curiosity, I may check and see what it was listed as.   The FFL that the lower was originally  shipped to is a good friend of mine.
View Quote

Polishing brass on the Titanic but if it makes you sleep better...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
So, if a person was to turn a rifle into a pistol and plopped a pistol / SBR upper on it and somehow got "caught" what would the crime be?  Illegal SBR?  That severe? Once a rifle, always a rifle regardless of the shoulder thingy installed on it?  Or is there a law about turning a rifle into a pistol?  

Question didn't sound as dumb in my head....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If a virgin lower was built first as a rifle, it can not have a barreled upper less than 16" without the SBR paperwork, approval, and tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If a virgin lower was built first as a rifle, it can not have a barreled upper less than 16" without the SBR paperwork, approval, and tax stamp.
View Quote
Please read the OP...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please read the OP...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please read the OP...  

Please read the question from AR45fan in the post above my response.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, if a person was to turn a rifle into a pistol and plopped a pistol / SBR upper on it and somehow got "caught" what would the crime be?  Illegal SBR?  That severe? Once a rifle, always a rifle regardless of the shoulder thingy installed on it?  Or is there a law about turning a rifle into a pistol?  

Question didn't sound as dumb in my head....
View Quote

I believe the actual charge in words, aside from the appropriate cite of exact USC or CFR,  would be "making an illegal firearm from a rifle" or "possession" of same. Or hell, maybe both.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the OP...  

It would have helped if you had quoted to whom you were responding...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please read the OP...  

Then why would you assume it was directed to the OP when I answered him previously that his lower was good to build as a pistol? It is called a "thread" for a reason. Follow it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Then why would you assume it was directed to the OP when I answered him previously that his lower was good to build as a pistol? It is called a "thread" for a reason. Follow it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the OP...  

Quote it...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Let it go...............
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is good for a pistol build as long as it was never built as a rifle. It should have been transferred as "other" but even if it wasn't,  you are OK for the pistol build. That's a recording issue for the FFL.
View Quote

How would they know it was built into a rifle then switched into a pistol?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the law and your question shows how ridiculous it is. Buy a virgin lower and you can build it into a pisol or rifle. Make a pistol first, and you can legally go back and forth between pistol and rifle. Make it a rifle first and you can't put a barreled upper less than 16" on it without the SBR stamp. What you build first  is not documented, SO no one can prove what you built first.

Make sure you can prove that you purchased a virgin lower, and that you own a pistol upper, and someone else will have to prove you didn't put the pistol upper on first. Of course, there is no way for them to do that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is the law and your question shows how ridiculous it is. Buy a virgin lower and you can build it into a pisol or rifle. Make a pistol first, and you can legally go back and forth between pistol and rifle. Make it a rifle first and you can't put a barreled upper less than 16" on it without the SBR stamp. What you build first  is not documented, SO no one can prove what you built first.

Make sure you can prove that you purchased a virgin lower, and that you own a pistol upper, and someone else will have to prove you didn't put the pistol upper on first. Of course, there is no way for them to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However remote any gotcha is, the most obvious one is buying a used lower, unless you somehow absolutely know its history. Even done through FFL, he would still mark it as "other firearm" and "receiver", but it would still be illegal to make a pistol from it if it had begun life as a rifle, and easily determined if it initially left a retailer that way.

Just one of the examples of how what's on a 4473, while it might be of interest,  is not the actual legal determination for the firearm.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies, I've been wondering about this question for awhile.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

However remote any gotcha is, the most obvious one is buying a used lower, unless you somehow absolutely know its history. Even done through FFL, he would still mark it as "other firearm" and "receiver", but it would still be illegal to make a pistol from it if it had begun life as a rifle, and easily determined if it initially left a retailer that way.

Just one of the examples of how what's on a 4473, while it might be of interest,  is not the actual legal determination for the firearm.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

That is one reason I thought about checking to see what they listed it as.  If I had bought this stripped lower from someone I did not know, there is no way I would even think about building a pistol.   I know mine is a true virgin lower because if it had been built into a rifle, I would have been the one that did the work for him.  No one else works on his rifles but me.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is one reason I thought about checking to see what they listed it as.  If I had bought this stripped lower from someone I did not know, there is no way I would even think about building a pistol.   I know mine is a true virgin lower because if it had been built into a rifle, I would have been the one that did the work for him.  No one else works on his rifles but me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Then there's no reason to really care what the FFL put down. Of course he should have checked "other firearm" on question 18, but there are still some dumbass dealers out there. But on the other hand, he has to write in what it is under field 29, and he'd have to be outright lying for some reason to put anything there but "receiver" or "AR lower" or similar.

But again, what he put down is ultimately immaterial anyway, if you're sure of its lineage.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]
For kicks and giggles, I sent my FFL buddy a text last night and asked him about it.  He said he always lists them as "other".    The info here has helped a lot.  I have been throwing around the idea of buiding an AR pistol for a little while since I have been seeing the arm brace being used and I just wanted to make sure I cover all the bases from a legal stand point because i am not big enough to play chase in a prison shower

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#22]
That's what all FFLs are supposed to put in the answer to Question 18 and, as OP pointed out, write a descriptive term in 29. He did it correctly.

Open Letter To FFLs 2009
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top