Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2003 9:46:48 AM EDT
Mid length is 16" bbl. with rifle [20" ] gas system. If I take a 24" barreled upper and cut it to 18", I have a smoothe running 18" rifle.  Right?

This armalite top I plan on having cut has a flattop and front gasblock with a minni rail. If I use a '40' rear flip up sight what front sight should be used on the picitinny front gas block?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
No, midlength has a different bolt face to gas port distance than either the "CAR" or 20" rifle lengths.
The difference is that midlength gives the same proportion of barrel forward of the sight tower as on a 20"

If you cut the 24" to 18" it will look like the 11.5" upper, a stubby barrel forward of the sight block. You may run into trouble since there's less barrel forward of the sight tower but the gas port is sized for the 24" bbl. You can drill out the port though.

Why not just take the barrel off and buy a shorter one? It would probably be a very similar cost to having it cut, crowned and drilled...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top