Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:42:35 PM EDT
Brand new to ARs'. Have a new RRA CAR and love it.

I have had it out twice now, cleaned the chamber, bore and bolt assembly after the first time out.

Did not wipe down the exterior after the first time out.

Ran 450 rounds through it each time for 900 total.

Pulled it out of the case tonight to break it down and clean it and I noticed all around the front sight where it raps around the barrel it is very dirty.

I realize this is part of the gas system and I just want to be sure gas isn't leaking out where it isn't supposed to.

No failures to cycle properly in the 900 rounds I have through it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:50:28 PM EDT
If your rifle has functioned 100% I wouldn't worry about it. I bet it will look good as new if you rub some CLP on it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:51 PM EDT
A little bit of gas leaking past the gastube where it inserts into the FSB is normal. If you had a serious leak you would also have cycle problems.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:59:35 PM EDT
normal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:40:46 PM EDT
Thanks guys, I didn't think there was a problem but thought I'd check.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:28:44 PM EDT
45ron,

It's absolutely normal, expected and self limiting.

To make the leaking stop and reduce cleaning time/effort:

Load up another 450 rounds each day of the weekend, and shoot untill the carbon build up creates a "Seal".

Ya just gotta love a rifle that just keeps getting better with use!

If the thing is cycling reliably, some leakage is to be accepted untill the darling is broken in.

RRA does a wonderfull job on the Barel FSB fit.
Havn't worked on one yet that wasn't just a fleas hair on the interferrence side, of a press fit.
I like the consistency above all, that is the trademark of RRA.

It wont be long untill the leak dissapears.

Congrats on the new stick! I hope you find it as fascinating and fun, as the rest of us suspected weirdo's!!!!!

Keep safe!
S-28

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:41:13 PM EDT
Same thing happened with my DPMS AP4. I was told it was normal and it would go away. Sure enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:24:29 PM EDT
Please, forgive the intrusion but I am having this problem with my DPMS upper and it is causing so much lost pressure that once the barrel is hot, it will fail to feed EVERY round. I have taken off the gas block and found that the whole that allows the gas to flow to the gas tub is chipped. This, added to what I believe is a poor mating between the barrel and gas block allows far too much gas/smoke to escape.

Aside from replacing the gas block right away, anyone have any ideas how I can seal the leak?

Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:55:29 PM EDT
JJ,

Call DPMS.
Tell them of the problem.

I am no fan of DPMS, but ya gotta give them a chance before dumping the rifle or cash to make things right.

Best of luck!
S-28

Top Top