Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:18:43 AM EDT
I was in a local gun shop this Saturday and I saw a lady purchase a Bushmaster AR pistol for her boyfriend (1 illegal act already).

The AR pistol had a rail on the handguard. Mounted on the rail was a laser and a vertical grip.

Doesn't the mounting of the vertical grip require that the pistol be registered with the ATF as an AOW?

I asked the salesman and he said that this was completely legal now with the expiration of the '94 ban.

Somehow this does not sound right to me. But I did not push it because I was not sure myself.

Thanks,
A
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was in a local gun shop this Saturday and I saw a lady purchase a Bushmaster AR pistol for her boyfriend (1 illegal act already).
This is perfectly fine to do.  You may purchase a firearm as a gift.  It is not a straw purchase.

The AR pistol had a rail on the handguard. Mounted on the rail was a laser and a vertical grip.

Doesn't the mounting of the vertical grip require that the pistol be registered with the ATF as an AOW?
Yep, they made an unregistered AOW.  Bad juju!

I asked the salesman and he said that this was completely legal now with the expiration of the '94 ban.
Asking about gun laws in a gun shop is like asking a two year old for legal advice...

Somehow this does not sound right to me. But I did not push it because I was not sure myself.

Thanks,
A

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess that the purchase could have been a gift. But the boyfriend was there next to her...why did he not fill out the paperwork and she paid for the gun?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess that the purchase could have been a gift. But the boyfriend was there next to her...why did he not fill out the paperwork and she paid for the gun?

I think whoever is supplying the funds for the gun must fill out the paperwork.  If he filled out the form, but she gave them the money, I think that is defined as a straw purchase.  Kind of a retarded area in the law it would seem.  When my wife bought me a Ruger Mark II for Christmas, she filled out the forms and paid for it.  I was not there, and she told the gun shop guys it was a gift for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Completely legal, as long as you don't mind an extended stay at the grey bar motel
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
...Doesn't the mounting of the vertical grip require that the pistol be registered with the ATF as an AOW?

Probably the most common unintentional NFA violation today, by far, if I had to guess...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
...Doesn't the mounting of the vertical grip require that the pistol be registered with the ATF as an AOW?

Probably the most common unintentional NFA violation today, by far, if I had to guess...

I think that you are right...considering how easy it is to mount grips with the rails and everything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Would a grip-pod be considered a vertical grip by ATF?  I would assume yes, but you never know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
i would guess Illegal on that vertical grip.

and if the boyfriend was there with her its a straw purchase and is illegal, but if the boyfriend was at home its allowed.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top