Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
no, but i doubt its real for $49
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought complete IR lasers were illegal to sell to the public? Wolverine Lasers got in trouble for that a while back, didn't they?
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes but wolverine was selling a kit not a complete laser he was found not guilty and is still trying to get back his taken stock from the ATF.

There was politics at play there, this is just a guy on ebay like the other fella from IR laser store, they most likley will not get much more than a nasty letter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, I have got to ask; why the fuck is ATF involved in lasers????
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The FDA regulates lasers.  They got the ATF to raid & ransack old boy after a great big huge company complained about him selling scary IR stuff to lowly civies.  I guess the FDA didn't have any resident JBT's to do the raid so they called in the usual suspects to assist.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are IR lasers illegal?  Clearly I should know this but I don't.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen those before. They are pointball lasers, probably with the red laser module replaced. If anyone cares, I can probably find out the origional manyfacturer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The FDA regulates lasers.  They got the ATF to raid & ransack old boy after a great big huge company complained about him selling scary IR stuff to lowly civies.  I guess the FDA didn't have any resident JBT's to do the raid so they called in the usual suspects to assist.

this is why I won't buy from Laser Devices
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why are IR lasers illegal?  Clearly I should know this but I don't.

The main reason they're illegal is that they can damage the retina severely.  There is no blink reflex generated with the IR laser because the eye does not react with the typical pupillary accommodation / reflex, and the person hit with it, does not see the laser as there isn't any visible light emitted.

IR lasers are used for retinal surgery and such, whcih is why the FDA generally regulates them.  However, BATFE being involved is a little bit like them being involved to track down sellers of bootleg X-ray equipment ....WTF
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
no
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
hmm does that mean im gonna get busted by the atf becasue i have a 150 watt nd:yag laser in my garage i was always going to make a laser cnc but i never got around to it and there it sits. oh yeah that and i dont have three phase in my garage
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Definitely have to be extremely careful with IR lasers.. especially if the power is >5 mW.  Your eye reflexes has no defense against IR since it can't see it.  

Side note, green lasers also put out a % of IR.. be sure the laser has a IR filter on it..

The person who is selling that probably swapped out the diode for a IR one.. as stated by someone else.  It's easy to do, and IR diodes are readily available, and extremely cheap, and many are powerful enough to burn holes if placed in a Aixiz lense housing to focus the beam.

I'm actually surprise that guy got away with selling a IR laser on eBay/Paypal.. they are not very friendly with lasers.. or at least that's what I've heard.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top