Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:20:21 PM EDT
I have a del-ton assembled AR-15 (love it by the way) and since it's a flat top, I bought a Weaver brand carry handle/rear sight.  Now, I noticed that I had to move the windage far to the right to get the shots more or less central to the target.

Now, I did a basic check by placing the rifle upside down on my glass computer desk with the sight attached and it does wobble.  I'd say maybe .300" or so.

When I take the handle off and try the rifle again, it's perfect.  When I lay the handle by itself and test it, it does wobble.  The guides or long "ears" aren't parallel.  Is this a problem enough to take the thing back and get a refund?  (i'll probably just get store credit and buy ammo.)

Anyway, maybe someone more experienced can chime in, I could really use the advice.  I'm going for a BUIS either way but I don't want to have wasted my 90 bucks on a non-perfect carry handle/sight.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The Weavers are known to have some problems.

It is normal for a rear sight to be twisted slightly counter clockwise because of a spring and bearing in the left side of the sight.  But the handle shouldn't wobble.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Weavers are known to have some problems.

It is normal for a rear sight to be twisted slightly counter clockwise because of a spring and bearing in the left side of the sight.  But the handle shouldn't wobble.

The handle definitely wobbles.  Maybe I should take it back then...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Delton or no, I think you need to at least consider the possibility the FSB isn't square to the upper ... i.e., the barrel is a little out of index or the FSB isn't properly pinned.

If possible, get another carry handle (borrow one or exchange yours for another one) and try the rifle again for accuracy. If the second carry handle still needs to be ratcheted over the far right, the FSB is probably crooked.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Delton or no, I think you need to at least consider the possibility the FSB isn't square to the upper ... i.e., the barrel is a little out of index or the FSB isn't properly pinned.

If possible, get another carry handle (borrow one or exchange yours for another one) and try the rifle again for accuracy. If the second carry handle still needs to be ratcheted over the far right, the FSB is probably crooked.

I don't know anyone with an AR so I can't really get another carry handle to try unless, like you said, I exchange it for another.  Like I said, I did put the rifle on a flat surface without the handle in place and it was fine.  I made sure the charging handle wasn't in to make sure the flat top was in fact, flat.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm probably going to take this back tomorrow afternoon after work.  Any reason I shouldn't, please let me know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
how many clicks do you have to adjust the rear windage for it to zero?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how many clicks do you have to adjust the rear windage for it to zero?

I'd say about 18 to 20.  It's probably within spec for the military.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Having to put in excessive clicks fro zeroing is USUALLY because the FSB is canted (either installed wrong, or the barrel has slipped a bit. 18-20 clicks is JUST within the spec.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top