Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 10:04:41 PM EDT
I don't have a working digital camera nor do I have a site to host them on so I'll try to describe the mag.

It's a thirty round mag that's almost gloss black. The finish has some swirl marks and some thin spots in in where I can sort of see the aluminum beneath.

It seems a little loose in my mag well compared to GI mags but they seem to cycle fine with dummy rounds. It's loose enough to drop easily free unlike my GI mags as well.

Base plate says DPMS but it's their newer stylized "Panther Arms" logo. No date codes or dates to be seen anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Those were made by Labelle for DPMS, and the black finish is teflon.  I have Labelle mfg'd teflon finished mags in:

Gray teflon, BFI with snake logo (Bushmaster)
Black teflon, Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services  (DPMS)
Gray teflon, Defense Procurement etc sealed in a USGI bag with Labelle marked as the mfg.

But MOST interesting are some gray teflon finished ones I bought sealed in  USGI type bag, complete with bar code and the right NSN numbers, but blank floorplates and no mfg name on the bag.  They are identical in color and finish to the gray Labelles.

All have black followers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Those were made by Labelle for DPMS, and the black finish is teflon.  I have Labelle mfg'd teflon finished mags in:

Gray, BFI with snake logo (Bushmaster)
Gray, Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services  (DPMS)
Black, Defense Procurement etc sealed in a USGI bag with Labelle marked as the mfg.

But MOST interesting are some gray teflon finished ones I bought sealed in  USGI type bag, complete with bar code and the right NSN numbers, but blank floorplates and no mfg name on the bag.  They are identical in color and finish to the gray Labelles.

All have black followers.
View Quote

Don't know if you've been following the curved 20rnd magazine thread, but I would venture to say that those are not original wrappers with those grey teflons. Apparently there are no teflon coated mil-spec 30rnders. Someone must have used an extra bag they had laying around and heat sealed it. Must have changed the floor plate too.

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I email you some jpg's tomorrow.  These look like mil-spec to me, and the bags do, too.  So, who makes them?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
In other words, these are excellent brand new mags I found and that I should spend my hard earned money getting more? [BD]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The tefloned ones I have ARE USGI mags, have all the little marks from the dies that are on dry moly finished USGI's I have, just differing in the finish.  

Yes, I would pick up more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually I can now prove that your magazines are not original A Free Man. I don't have those pictures you sent me hosted yet, but the picture with the mags in the wrapper?

It has an NSN # of: 1005-00-921-5004 I believe that # has already been looked up and confirmed to be a standard USGI 30rnder if I'm not mistaken.

I also have a picture of some twenty rounders teflon coated and curved sealed in that same bag as yours.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Cody, I have been following the discussion of the black teflon curved 20's, with the wrong bags.

The pictures I just sent you ARE 30 round mags, not 20's, so that is the correct NSN number for those mags.

It is the 20 rounders I was suspicious of, due to the number, not these 30's.

The beginning post in this thread refers to black 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The NSN # on your bags is the same NSN as the standard issue 30 round magazines (Pemasilk).
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
From Troy's FAQ:

"La Belle is best known as the only manufacturer to have offered magazines finished in teflon (in place of the moly dry-film) from the factory. However, the majority of La Belle mags were for USGI contracts, and had the standard moly finish. In early 1994, just before the Crime Bill was passed, La Belle made several lots of mags finished in black or gray teflon for sale to civilians and LEOs. AR15 manufacturers Bushmaster and DPMS were the largest distributors of these mags, though several other companies also offered these teflon mags with their own floorplate stampings. Teflon La Belle mags are widely considered the best of the USGI 30-rounders. La Belle was bought by General Stamping in 1995. Made from late 1980s-mid 1990s. Floorplates stamped:

LA BELLE IND.
OCONOMOWOC, WI. U.S.A.
MFG 90435"
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top