Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 1:03:00 PM EDT
I have been given a laser made by surefire and the number on it is 7LSM LASER SIGHT. It looks like the photos of a L72. What voltage requirements does it have and what Sure Fire falshlight is needed for it to screw into?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran "7LSM" through Google and it found this page:
http://www.visionenotturna.it/sf_laser.html
The module should also have three identical serial numbers and a date of manufacture.

The SureFire Laser Modules that I have seen are clearly etched with their battery power requirements and just as important, their battery orientation.
They will say "USE ONE SF223AC LITHIUM BATTERY" have a battery with the "+" end pointing away from the module.

You can use two SF123A 3V Lithium batteries or one single 'recoil-proof' SF223AC 6V Lithium battery stick and the batteries must be inserted the 'wrong way' compared to normal SureFires.

The Laser Modules screw into Universal Housings - usually on WeaponLights such as shotgun or MP5 (etc) forends, so you can also screw the L72 into an MH90 Millennium Universal WeaponLight Housing. I believe in addition to the MH90 you'll need an M49/M50 mount and an SW01/SW02/UUxx TailCap switch.

The L72 can also be screwed into an A21 which in turn is screwed into an A12 onto which you can screw your TailCap switch (such as the Z41 LockOut TailCap).

I hope this helps?

Al
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep that is it. Any idea how much the housing will run? I have an ARMS #22M68 sitting around doing nothing so that will work for a mount I am guessing from the pictures. I guess it's time to start trying to find this stuff so That I can turn my find into a sight.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I just want to know why in the hell did SF reverse the polarity on the lasers.  I fried my new L72 in the first two minutes I had it because I forgot to reverse the batteries...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
HOLY COW
You can damage your laser by getting the polsrity backwards??? Good Grief. So how much did that little repair cost you?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Luckily, only the cost of shipping the unit back to SF since it was brand new and still under warranty.  The longer version of this story is [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=169610&w=searchPop]here[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are a couple of pic’s of my L72 mounted in an MH90 Millennium Universal WeaponLight Housing, next to my Surefire M951P.  Gives you an idea of how it would look.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  You say someone gave this to you????  Must be some kind of great friend.  These retail for about $500.00 new.  Good luck with yours.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1193[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1194[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1195[/img]

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep that is it. A cousin gave the thing to me who does production design and one of the projects was a laser level. The Surefire was given to him as a piece of equipment to figure out if the adjustment system was a fesable design. They went with something else and this thing was sitting in a shoe box bound for the junk draw. I asked how much he wanted for it and he just gave it to me. I may dig it aprat and put an IR diode in it as it looks quite doeable and just keep the two adjusting collars and the housing. How much does the MH 90 run anyway?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]

I just want to know why in the hell did SF reverse the polarity on the lasers.  I fried my new L72 in the first two minutes I had it because I forgot to reverse the batteries...
View Quote

It is not suppose to burn the laser dial when the ploarity is reversed. It is a design fault from Surefire. It happened on my spanking new unit also. The red laser was fading away in 15 seconds!

Of course I was extremely upset. A $500 unit washed away in 15 second! I called Surefire and shipped the unit back for repair. It came back in a month's time and Surefire told me that they had redesigned the laser since then.

This Surefire fiasco happened more than a year ago......

Now I prefer the OTAl.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
amuroray, just FYI, mine was the new design...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
amuroray, just FYI, mine was the new design...
View Quote

Oh oh, that's bad.

So what did Surefire say about this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#13]
They didn't.  they just repaired it and returned it (after a little over a month).  I don't recall seeing any special explanation of the receipt, just that it was repaired and returned.  I haven't even been able to try it yet, where I am right now I have no weapons body to try it on, just a low cost nitrilon.  I still don't understand why they reversed the polarity, all that does is make it incompatible in some situations.  I wanted to use this on the dual head mount (part of what the new design addressed I thought), but I guess that would only be good for two lasers (Vis/IR ?).
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top