Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:10:55 AM EDT
Hello there! Well i know firearms but i am just starting to get into the AR world and am looking at getting a used AR. I was wondering if $600 was worth it, i will list the parts below.

DPMS A2 Upper with chrome lined barrel, 1.9 twist ( attached handle, no flat top)
Anvil arms lower with aa parts, stock and RR stage 1 trigger
ATN Ultra red dot scope ( co-witness with BUIS)
UTG quad rail
2 mags
sling

Now i am not a huge fan of carry handles but i can change the upper to a flat top and keep the barrel which is HD and i will end up adding magpul stock and adjustable rear sight with some kind of red dot sight. So all in all 600 for the AR with 400 rounds then another 200 to do what i want with it. I priced out if i built my own (which i can) it will be about the same price if not a lil more.

Thanks guys, all input is welcome!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Spend a little more and get what you want (a flattop).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would pass.  It seems now adays (especially around the holidays) you can find complete rifle packages going for anywhere from $650-800, that would likely come with everything you listed (maybe except for the red dot, but anymore I see them here and there), not to mention those also include a warranty...

My first rifle was a DPMS, it shoots great! but it wasn't used, nor a build.  

Im sure the rifle you're looking at would fill the void no problem, but I would keep looking...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]
At a minimum a new upper is going to cost  you ~ $250. The stock is going to cost you another $50- $60 bucks if you can use the old tube (Magpul MOE CTR) and $110- $120 if you have to replace everything (Maqgpul CTR). That's $900- $970. Not a fan of UTG parts. You can get new DD flattops with a rail system  for $1000. I'd go that route myself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of you ay be confused, i meant that i would take the A2 reciever only off and replace it with a DPMS reciver and reuse the internals, keep the DPMS barrel. The upper is only 125 from DPMS or find a used one, also in EE on here i could find a magpul for around 40 bucks and just use the mil spec buffer tube. $5-10 used handle.

I cannot afford to drop 800 all at once so that is why i cannot buy a brand new one, just one i can start off with and build to my own specs or start with a bare lower and build up but it will be around 800-900 once i am done. I am not looking for a safe queen either.

You guys are right about just building one to my own specs that i want but i am too inpatient sometimes! LOL!! I just thought this one for 600 would be a good platform to start one and add what i want and find from the EE (used).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd pass.

Buld yourself a BCM or PSA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#6]
pass.

if you have $600 now, dont spend it, save a little more and get a new gun w/ a flat top and a better twist rate.

patience is key
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Palmetto state has a carbine kit with CHF chroemlined barrel and quality MP/HP tested parts for $519 that with a $70 to $100 forged lower and you have better than DPMS at the same price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Id pass as well.  I see what your saying but from experience Ive learned you can just build it yourself the way you want the first time and everything works out better.

Take your $600 shop the EE.  buy some parts and start building.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Palmetto state has a carbine kit with CHF chroemlined barrel and quality MP/HP tested parts for $519 that with a $70 to $100 forged lower and you have better than DPMS at the same price.

QFT

with what PSA is offering for $600-700, I don't see any reason to ever mess with DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The UTG line that seems decent to me is the US made PRO series.  I think these are made in MI.  I have one of the first carbine drop in PRO rails and it has been excellent...locks up tight and rails are in spec.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pass.

if you have $600 now, dont spend it, save a little more and get a new gun w/ a flat top and a better twist rate.

patience is key

I stopped at my local gun store while i was out a lil bit ago and i think you guys are right, wait and build my own or get a better one.
I thought the 1/9 twist rate is the best? perhaps 1/7?
I also thought DPMS was a good company? PSA is a good company and better?

Thank you everyone so far!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
It isn't worth buying to me but feel free to waste your money if you wish.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Pass, build yourself something you want...
$140 for a complete lower then you have $450+ to spend on a complete upper...  There are a few decent ones in that range... A bushmaster patrolmans for $470 {them have detachable handles that come with them...  or SAA has this one..
http://www.surplusammo.com/surplus-ammo-arms-ar-15-m4-daniel-defense-1-7-chrome-lined-upper-with-moe-handguard/

PSA has a bunch too...  I personally would wait until you had $730 and build yourself a PSA lower then add an Adams arms piston upper...  I have one, very good shooter, simple to clean, reliable, and light...
http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=317
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Isn't the PSA M4 around 600 bucks new?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
pass.

patience is key

I stopped at my local gun store while i was out a lil bit ago and i think you guys are right, wait and build my own or get a better one.
I thought the 1/9 twist rate is the best? perhaps 1/7?
I also thought DPMS was a good company? PSA is a good company and better?

Thank you everyone so far!

1:7 is the best bang for your buck.

You can go right on ahead and shoot anything from 50grain to 77gr Sierra Match King greatness.

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror.htm#m855vm193

1:7 and 1:8 are the best.
Why?  Accuracy.  For heavier and longer rounds during competition shooting, 1:8 and 1:7 twists are the best for heavy 77-80 grain rounds that I use to shoot competitively at 500-1000 meters.  Who needs to shoot tracers anyhow? More importantly, heavier rounds are showing very good results in terminal testing and are proving to be much better defensive rounds.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2551.php

That is not bad at all, but what is the difference between that and this?    http://palmettostatearmory.com/2253.php

I mean with the 2nd one and a psa lower for 50 and some change (80 total after t fee and shipping) and a rear mpul sight (40) i would be happy. But i am not sure the quality of their uppers, esp that 2nd one......
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I happen to like DPMS.  That being said I would pass on that gun unless you can get it much cheaper.  Although I like my DPMS I couldn't give retail price for a used gun missing features that I want.  I didn't give much more than that for mine when it was new and it's a flat top.  If you could get it for around $400 it might be a different story, but I would probably still look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I happen to like DPMS.  That being said I would pass on that gun unless you can get it much cheaper.  Although I like my DPMS I couldn't give retail price for a used gun missing features that I want.  I didn't give much more than that for mine when it was new and it's a flat top.  If you could get it for around $400 it might be a different story, but I would probably still look elsewhere.

+1 on this (minus the liking DPMS part)

Honestly there is nothing wrong with DPMS but I would not buy a Larue Tactical or a Noveske if I had to swap out an upper receiver on it unless it was a steal.  Compared to PSA's price this is not the steal IMHO.  Just go out and buy something new (PSA like above poster stated) with the features you want or build one.  I promise you that building a rifle is a great experience and you will cherrish your rifle even more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#19]
If you could get it for $400, sure. Otherwise go with something from PSA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2551.php <––- High pressure Tested and magnetic particle Inspected

That is not bad at all, but what is the difference between that and this?    http://palmettostatearmory.com/2253.php  <––- Not tested and inspected

I mean with the 2nd one and a psa lower for 50 and some change (80 total after t fee and shipping) and a rear mpul sight (40) i would be happy. But i am not sure the quality of their uppers, esp that 2nd one......

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Pass-

AR15 Billet lower & BCM upper. Add a Battlecomp  2.0, pmags, Troy flip up rear sight & Mirco Aimpoint on a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you could get it for $400, sure. Otherwise go with something from PSA.

Wwell i am not quit sure what that means? Is there a difference in the finish? (boy do i sound dumb)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pass-

AR15 Billet lower & BCM upper. Add a Battlecomp  2.0, pmags, Troy flip up rear sight & Mirco Aimpoint on a LaRue mount.

WOW!! Where can I find all of this for a price tag in the neighborhood of $600?
I'm definitely in the market for some of this action.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pass-

I never said you could buy for under $600.00.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pass-

no price? I ran the idea of building one to the old man and well... he might be generous enough to give me a lower from one of his older bushmasters, if he does i might be looking at the palmetto upper kit. i am just not sure the quality of the finish on those, they look rather dull to me in pic threads....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#27]
DPMS
UTG
ATI

All things I don't want in my safe, so I would say no...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
DPMS
UTG
ATI

This is what i am learning, and i thought DPMS was a good company......
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Like the others, I'd pass on that deal as well. DPMS is not a bad company, your just not getting that great of a deal. Your other choices for $600-$800 AR's would provide you with an excellent rifle you'll enjoy for years. Spend a few more days here learning or even weeks if you can wait. Once you get your new rifle you'll be be glad you did the research. Look at the picture threads and see the different brands, models, etc... I think you'll start to see there is a certain style or type or brand that you prefer.

With $600.00 you are right at the baseline price for an AR. I always hate when guys say save up and buy something better but if that's an option do it. That said if money was tight, with no chance of saving up a bit more I would be all over a PSA rifle, one of the best low priced AR's you can get. Good luck and don't rush it, if you get the right gun your not going to be able to wipe that shit eatin grin off your face.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Like the others, I'd pass on that deal as well. DPMS is not a bad company, your just not getting that great of a deal. Your other choices for $600-$800 AR's would provide you with an excellent rifle you'll enjoy for years. Spend a few more days here learning or even weeks if you can wait. Once you get your new rifle you'll be be glad you did the research. Look at the picture threads and see the different brands, models, etc... I think you'll start to see there is a certain style or type or brand that you prefer.

With $600.00 you are right at the baseline price for an AR. I always hate when guys say save up and buy something better but if that's an option do it. That said if money was tight, with no chance of saving up a bit more I would be all over a PSA rifle, one of the best low priced AR's you can get. Good luck and don't rush it, if you get the right gun your not going to be able to wipe that shit eatin grin off your face.

Thanks Bammer! I tend to obses a little bit when i want a new toy (firearm) and research the shit out of it. I am passing on that one for sure. I have about 700 total to spend. Wwith the lower (Bushmaster) that my old man will give me and the psa m4 moe kit (link below) along with a nice sling and rear fold magpul gen 2 sight i will be less than 700 and a lii left over for one or two more acessories. I think it would be worht it, i have not seen one bad thing against PSA yet and originally i wanted the MOE kit for whatever build i was doing.

What do you all think?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2253.php

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Just built this for 800, minus optic

Skip the Geiselle SSA and Magpul stock and you could be around the 600 mark.  I bought everything sans sling and MOE foregrip from the EE.

ETA: It's a PSA upper on a doublestar lower, geisselle SSA, Magpul MOE furniture, and BCM BCG.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks Bammer! I tend to obses a little bit when i want a new toy (firearm) and research the shit out of it. I am passing on that one for sure. I have about 700 total to spend. Wwith the lower (Bushmaster) that my old man will give me and the psa m4 moe kit (link below) along with a nice sling and rear fold magpul gen 2 sight i will be less than 700 and a lii left over for one or two more acessories. I think it would be worht it, i have not seen one bad thing against PSA yet and originally i wanted the MOE kit for whatever build i was doing.

What do you all think?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2253.php

PSA is good stuff for a great price

I am a big fan of LMT products, but in the last year I have ordered 3 PSA rifle kits and can honestly say that I am just as happy with the PSA rifles as my LMT

The 16" M4 MOE kit would be a good choice, 2 of the kits that I ordered were the standard M4 kits

My most recent purchase was a 16" Middy kit HERE for $579 with the MOE kit

By the way you could get a Matech BUIS from the EE or EBay for around $40, and its a lot better sight IMHO

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DPMS
UTG
ATI

This
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top