Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 12:27:49 AM EDT
So im new to the variant game. currently piecing a 300 AAC shorty together, and want something for some range/single shot type stuff..

2 questions.. 20 or 24"?

second.. this deal sounds good but its my first night researching so....?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Radical_Firearms_24_6_5_GRENDEL_COMPLETE_Upper_w_p/rf-upper-fhr24-6.5.htm
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:58:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2016 1:59:45 AM EDT by Scotts556]
Do some more research and if your going down the grendel hole. Make sure you get a SAMI spec barrel and bolt. Alexander arms makes good stuff. The grendel is fun. Its not 260 rem or 6.5 creedmore. But it will impress you with what it can do.

Edit and to answer your question. 16 or 18 inch. Head over to the precision rifle section and read up on some of the grendels guys are using over there. They are doing some impressive stuff with 18 inch tubes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:13:50 AM EDT
These Radical uppers have gotten some good reviews from the 65forum guys. I sprang for one also. Finished putting the scope on last night after my Aero mount came in. I will go out and shoot it this weekend. I wanted a decent gun to get my foot into the Grendel door. I figured this was the cheapest way to do so. I can upgrade later depending on how this goes. But at least I now have a Grendel before the panic bullshit takes over every AR caliber available.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:36:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:11:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I went with an 18 inch barrel on my Grendel.
View Quote

Same here, and I'm getting 2530fps from factory 123gr sst loads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:21:29 PM EDT
I read that 6.5 > 6.8, i havent done any creedmore vs grendel reading though..
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2016 1:01:23 PM EDT by sorionc]

View Quote

I went with a Shilen 20" barrel as opposed to the 24". After getting the 20" I wish I would have went 24". I Don't plan on hiking very far with it and weight wasn't a concern. The extra 4" wouldn't have negatively effected the rifles intented use at all.

New stock soon and it'll be completed!

ETA. As for RAdical there's a lot of hate for them around here. After the barrel extension issue they were on arf.com posting what I considered an acceptable response and offered to fix or replace anything people were having issues with on their dime including shipping. I don't know what else they could do. I have a 8.5" 300blk of theirs and I am happy with it. Nice fit and finish. Barrel extension hasn't fallen off. Looks nice and Goes pew pew pew with subs and supers. New companies might have issues at first. It's how they handle the issues that will make or break them. So far all good in my book.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:36:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stephen4036:
I read that 6.5 > 6.8, i havent done any creedmore vs grendel reading though..
View Quote

Creedmoor is a whole different beast, if you want a semi auto you're stepping up to an AR10 size platform. For and AR15 platform the 6.5 and 6.8 and the most common top performers. I went the Grendel route because I like the bullet weigh range and selection as well as the fact that I'm getting myself into precision shooting soon and will use the Creedmoor, so I'll be staying with the 6.5 theme.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:29:58 PM EDT
sorionc you do know that your bipod in the photo is mounted backwards, don't you?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2016 6:40:10 PM EDT by matel1ly]
That looks like a pretty good deal. Maybe one of the guys with lots of grendel experience will chime in. I looked at radical firearms website and they don't say the type of chamber. That's probably the biggest recommendation I've seen for that caliber...use the SAAMI chamber. That deal is tempting, but I'll wait until I know the chamber.

ETA: just got an email back from a guy at radical firearms. He said they use 'a type II' which I think was reversed engineered from the SAAMI chamber. There's a recent thread where a member listed the companies that use the SAAMI chamber. If I ever get into the Grendel game I'll pay the extra money and get the right chamber.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:49:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By morning_would:
These Radical uppers have gotten some good reviews from the 65forum guys. I sprang for one also. Finished putting the scope on last night after my Aero mount came in. I will go out and shoot it this weekend. I wanted a decent gun to get my foot into the Grendel door. I figured this was the cheapest way to do so. I can upgrade later depending on how this goes. But at least I now have a Grendel before the panic bullshit takes over every AR caliber available.

http://imgdump4.novarata.net/image.uploads/24-06-2016/original-f64df075b34960d0c64e09a95e7343c6.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice rifle. Report back with results. I may have to dip into the hidden stash to get one of these.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT by Liquidmetal]
16" and 18" Grendels here. Both are from Alexander Arms. 18" is the longest I would ever go for my needs.
Top Top