Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2003 8:35:33 PM EDT
is there such thing as a lightweight bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
JP Enterprises. Its aluminum.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The JP LW carrier is most likely the lowest weight carrier out there, but if you just want to back the weight off a little, you could always look into the Colt semi-circle carrier.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you mean Smith Enterprises?  I've had 4 of the aluminum bolt carriers, and they were all marked with an "SE" inside an octagon.  I still have one left and if I can figure out where I put it I'll post a picture.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If my memory serves all the ones I saw were SE marked.  I think they were aluminum and then hard chromed.  It was some time ago, back when 16's were $800 and some guys were speed freaks and like to see how fast they could make one run just for fun.  Gee, I miss the good old days. [:(]
View Quote

I sold a few to a guy on an entry team who was trying to get his M16 to cycle on some Hornady 40 gr. bullets or something like that.  He was playing with port sizes and recoil springs, and figured a low mass bolt carrier would do the trick.  I never heard from him about how his little experiment worked, so I guess it didn't. [:D]

I gave my last one to our pal Whit so he could try it with his subsonic rounds, but I guess he never used it and sent it back in the same pristene condition.  I've decided I'm going to keep this one, because every time the topic comes up I always get accused of making up a story.  Most people don't believe there's such a thing as an aluminum bolt carrier.  It's always nice to have one ready to drop in their hand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you mean Smith Enterprises?  I've had 4 of the aluminum bolt carriers, and they were all marked with an "SE" inside an octagon.  I still have one left and if I can figure out where I put it I'll post a picture.
View Quote

No, he meant [b]JP[/b].  Smith may mfg them for JP - I'm not sure what the connection is, but my Brownells catalog lists the carrier as a[b]JP[/b] Enterprise unit.  Perhaps JP and Smith are connected?  Or Smith is subcontracted, or the older ones were Smith's, but whatever the case, it's JP Enterprises who sells them currently.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, he meant [b]JP[/b].  Smith may mfg them for JP - I'm not sure what the connection is, but my Brownells catalog lists the carrier as a[b]JP[/b] Enterprise unit.  Perhaps JP and Smith are connected?  Or Smith is subcontracted, or the older ones were Smith's, but whatever the case, it's JP Enterprises who sells them currently.
View Quote

Now [b]that's[/b] interesting!  The units I was talking about were made decades ago by Smith Enterprises and are long since discontinued.  But a look through the Brownells catalog shows the new ones AK_Mike is talking about.  From the picture they look identical to my old SE aluminum bolt carriers, except for the fact that the SE units had forward assist notches on the side.  I had no idea anyone was making them again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure JP makes all their stuff in-house. There is no FA or DC provisions. The JP LMOS carrier is designed to be used in conjuction with other mods. It is pretty much a competition item.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
This is off thread, but now I really want to know if there is any JP / SE connection...  Why would SE discontinue it?  Did JP buy the design?  Strange...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The two I've seen (used them for low recoiling loads like Simunition and Airmunition) were marked SE in their shield.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The lightweight JP carrier is strictly for competition use in tandem with JP's speed hammer and light springs in 20" barrel set up.  I've shot this JP set up and it is quick with no perceived forward movement due to carrier momentum. JP advises against running this set up in a duty/self defense weapon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Sachse:

I also run a JP low mass carrier with a JARD trigger system set up to break at 16 oz. and a JP Bennie Cooley comp and adjustable gas tube.  NO (and I mean NO as in ZERO) recol.  Can lay double tap 1" hits at 25 yards with <.15 splits ALL DAY LONG.  DO NOT use for a self-defense gun, though.  

I also saw you are in TX.  If near Richardson, K2 Sports on Central Expressway keeps them in stock.  Here's their website:
[url]http://www.k2-sports.com/[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top