Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2005 11:25:25 AM EDT
I have a Vang comped 870 with MMC sights that I would like to have a rail installed on just in front of the rear sight so I can install my Eotech 512 on it.  I figured it would be a simple matter of finding a rail the right size and having the reciever drilled and tapped. Am I missing anything? thanks in advance.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Am I missing anything? thanks in advance.
Pat

Yes, it's wrong.

Beyond that, I have to ask why.  It's a shotgun, most likely shooting buckshot.  Is a $300 sight really going to perform better than a plain bead sight at shotgun ranges with shotgun loads?  Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I use my shotgun mostly as a means of bear protection when I am fishing and its loaded with slugs. I don't use buck much anymore. For me its more of a big bore short range carbine.  Plus even if it was buck the Eotech is faster that Iron while being more precise. I have MMC ghost ring sights which are nice but I like the Eotech.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look on the bottom of your sight, I believe there's some sort of warning about it being incompatable with "Weaver" rails. "Weaver" being something of a nebulous term, I'd look for something more definitely Picatinny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I always thought they were interchangeable. Whats the main difference.?
Pat
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Instead of drilling and tapping , you might want to get a KAC 870 RAS . If it doesn't work out for you , you can sell the components and not be out the 'machining' costs .
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a picture of the kac mount.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks I always thought they were interchangeable. Whats the main difference.?
Pat

There's some reading here
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've run several shotguns (and larger bore weapons) with an Eotech, and they have all worked very well.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong at all.  I plan to do something similar once I get my second EoTech later this year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually I use my shotgun mostly as a means of bear protection when I am fishing and its loaded with slugs. I don't use buck much anymore. For me its more of a big bore short range carbine.  
Pat

Ahh, gotcha!  With slugs I can see your need for a "precision" sight.  I still question it with buck though.  

But hey, I've only shot literally thousands of rounds of full power buck and slug loads through my pump guns with nothing more than the OE bead or ghost ring sights, and never failed to hit accurately and quickly out to extended ranges.  So what do I know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Have several 870s with scope rails (the canaliver rail is too high to use well with the standard stock besides started over 30 years ago and nothing was out their execpt home made that was any good).  All have worked great with Leupold 1.5 x 5 scopes or 1.75 x 6 scopes.  Get the base which uses the larger screws to hold them on.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually I use my shotgun mostly as a means of bear protection when I am fishing and its loaded with slugs. I don't use buck much anymore. For me its more of a big bore short range carbine.  
Pat

Ahh, gotcha!  With slugs I can see your need for a "precision" sight.  I still question it with buck though.  

But hey, I've only shot literally thousands of rounds of full power buck and slug loads through my pump guns with nothing more than the OE bead or ghost ring sights, and never failed to hit accurately and quickly out to extended ranges.  So what do I know.

Ghostring sights are great. Its just the Eotech is faster. I like the Ghosting sights it has on it now and plan on keeping them on their as back up sights. I just love the Eotech.
Pat
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top