Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2006 5:45:02 AM EDT
I have a new RR with a SS 1/8 twist Wylde chambered barrel. I shot it for the second time yesterday. I know that different guns shoot different ammo better than others. I usually find this more the case in brands than in bullet weights for a weapon thats barreled for that round.
I shot some Black Hills 75 grain, Hornandy Match 75 grain and Tap 223 in it. The groups were OK but not like I had hoped. They were between 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inch mostly. The gun shoot Mk262 Mod1 around 1 inch all day long (77 grain). It also really like S&W 69 grain which is will shoot 3/4 inch and under.
Is the 75 less accurate in these barrel or just my gun?
I hope my other guns shoot it well since I have 7 more boxes. They are all 1/9 twist though.
JR
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some barrels definitely don't like the 75 gr profile that Hornady uses. (BH 75 gr are also Hornady projectiles). You will likely find a few that do in your 1/9 arsenal though. The secant ogive used in these bullets has a sharper angle when contacting the lands and some barrels seem to engrave a bit too aggressively. The tangent ogive used on Sierra bullets, such as their 77 gr, is smoother and seems to tolerate different leade angles better. YMMV

Fascinating.  I didn't know any of this.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is the 75 less accurate in these barrel or just my gun?
I hope my other guns shoot it well since I have 7 more boxes. They are all 1/9 twist though.
JR

It's your gun.  I made Highpower Master using a RRA NM rifle with a 1/8 SS 20" Wilson.  I used (and still do) Hornady 75 HPBT Match bullets for the 200 and 300 yard stages of the match and Hornady 75 Amax bullets for the 600 yard stage.

If none of your rifles like the Hornadys, put them up on the EE and they'll be gone in a flash.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My buddy bought the identical rifle at the same time. IF he ever gets a scope and mount I can compare his to mine.
JR
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As noted by PaulE above and experienced w/ my own RRA DCM 1/8 Wylde chambered 20" you'll have much better luck w/ the Sierra bullets than the Hornady's.

Note: that said ya can load the 75 A-Max Hornady rounds long, close to the lands and get them to shoot pretty well from the 600 yard line, but IMO the 77SMKs are the round for the Wilson RRA stainless barrels as don't have to be single loaded, but fly right from mag length.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
What was the distance to the target?  

I've been told that it is common for some of the heavier bullets (69 gr and up) to group poorly at the shorter ranges (100-200 yards) because the bullet has not had time to stabalize.  At longer ranges, the bullets will have time to stabalize and will group better.

No one has ever explained to me exactly how this works but I've heard it from several different sources that I considered knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I can only shoot at 100 yards at this range. I didn't have any problems with the 77 grain mod 1. Just the Cartridges loaded with the Hornady 75 grain bullets. As someone mentioned the Hornandy match, Black Hills 75gr and Hornandy 223 tap all have the Hornady 75 grain bullet.
JR
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same gun.  Mine like the BH 69gr. blue box stuff. Shoots under 1/2 inch at a 100. I also reload and have sevearl loads that range from 50 grainers to 69 grainers that all stay under 1/2 inch.  I loaded up some Hornandy 68gr's and couldn't get them to shoot for shit with 3-4 diffrent powders primers. the 68 grainers are longer than 69 Seirra match. Take that for what it's worth.  Each barrel is diffrent, and will like certain bullets driven at diffrent speeds. The best group out of my gun was .28" at 100.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been told that it is common for some of the heavier bullets (69 gr and up) to group poorly at the shorter ranges (100-200 yards) because the bullet has not had time to stabalize.  At longer ranges, the bullets will have time to stabalize and will group better..

All the highpower targets that I have shot at 100 and 200 yards with 75 grain Hornadys disagree with what you've been told.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As noted by PaulE above and experienced w/ my own RRA DCM 1/8 Wylde chambered 20" you'll have much better luck w/ the Sierra bullets than the Hornady's.

I must live a charmed existance, as I have had two Wilsons in a row that hammer with Hornady.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My buddy called RR and they recommended 68 and 69 grains for that barrel.
JR
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
JR

Yep, thousands of Highpower Masters and High Masters are all wrong.  The RRA NM does not work with bullets heavier than 69 grains.

I give up.........
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JR

Yep, thousands of Highpower Masters and High Masters are all wrong.  The RRA NM does not work with bullets heavier than 69 grains.

I give up.........

It's ok Jose, "you can lead a horse to water..."
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I am just telling you what RR told us. I am also just relaying MINE doesn't seem to shoot exceptionally well with Hornandy 75 grain bullets. It love the mod 1 77 grain.
JR
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am just telling you what RR told us. I am also just relaying MINE doesn't seem to shoot exceptionally well with Hornandy 75 grain bullets. It love the mod 1 77 grain.
JR

It really doesn't matter what they told you.  You told me you realized that all barrels shoot different loads differently.  Are you still confused about that?  So your barrel likes the one over the other.  That's life.  It's got nothing to do with what RRA says about 68-69 grainers, or the fact that MK262 is more expensive than gas.  Try either the Red or Blue box black hills in the 77 grainer.  Try some Federal match.  Try the 68 and 69's.  Try them all.  You will find out which one shoots best in your rifle.  Doesn't mean the 75's are bad because many other peoples rifles like them.  Doesn't mean your rifle is bad, it just means it doesn't favor them.  I would even go so far as to say try some unlikely types and see if they shoot good.  My midlength, free floated SS barrel 1/7 shoots WWB 55 grain 1-1.25 MOA regularily.  And Q3131A.  I shot ADCOM M855 with the irons and got a group under 3".  While my A2 colt throws that stuff around like 6MOA with a scope.  Go figure.

Sorry if I sound short with you but I don't see why you're making this such an issue if you realize all barrels are prejudice. (for the sake of the others, that was in another thread)

Edited to add: Why is it you think your barrel was made with the 75's in mind???
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 20 inch DPMS SS that did not shoot well with anything until I put several hundred rounds though . Don't give up on this barrel yet . (New chamber cut .)Decopper completely after 300 or so and try some more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't say 75 were bad maybe somebody else did. I was just questioning whether they may not shoot well in the 1/8 wylde as I have heard other on here say. I would love to try some 77 gr BH but its not available. And the 69 grain shot exceptionally well. I found that I before they even told my buddy that. That was their experience also.
I have tried a number of ammo. Most all my guns love the WWB walmart stuff. This one did not. So far I have just found it to like the 69 grain fed match and mod 1. In time I am sure I will find others. They also claim they lap their barrel which should cut down on barrel break in. I know other parts will need some time.
JR
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I found that the RRA 20" NM barrel I used to build my varmint upper took a couple hundred rounds to "settle in" for lack of a better term. The first groups were larger than I expected, but things seem fine now.

Mine seems to shoot my 75gr BTHP handloads just fine, at about MOA. There is no reason it shouldnt shoot heavy bullets into MOA, either 75's or 77's, even though some guns prefer one or the other.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top