Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 11:43:46 AM EST
The idea behind the FAB-10, is that an AR with a non-detachable, 10-round mag is not an "assault weapon" (even in CA) even if it has eeeevil features like a collapsible stock, flash hider, and bayo lug.

I have also seen examples of AR-based pistols with non-detachable 30-round magazines, to avoid beng considered an "assault pistol".

So (in places other than CA), does JB-welding a magazine into a post-ban lower make it legal to add a collapsible stock, flash hider, and/or bayonet lug?

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:49:34 PM EST
Yes, rendering the receiver incapable of accepting a detachable magazine removes it from consideration as an "assault weapon" under 18 USC 922(v). Permanently affixing a magazine in the well does render it incapable of accepting a detachable magazine. The only remaining question is whether ATF would consider JB Weld to be sufficiently "permanent". Past approved methods of attaching the magazine have been pinning the magazine into the magazine well, welding the magazine to the receiver, and installing a wierd retracting rail arrangement to the receiver that allowed it to be lowered from the well and tilted for reloading, then reinserted, without ever being detached.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:45:48 PM EST
I might be building a pistol ( Range toy, not a primary weapon ) with a non detachable mag. I was thinking of pining the mag with an allen bolt, but someone mentioned that replacing the push buttom with a nut, might be legal. Any ideas of the legality of it? As I see it I can build that pistol for a range toy and used my other ARs for serious shooting. BTW How many uppers can one have for a pistol? Ariel
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:49:50 PM EST
the FAB design originally only had the allen set screw on the left side of the mag well, where the mag release arm "catch" would be. It was the addition of a small pop rivet in the front of the mag/ mag well, that the CADOJ then accepted it as "permenantly" mounted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:27:36 PM EST
But how about outside Kalifornia. Will I still have to rivet or pin it?
Top Top